• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I keep telling my self don't do it.

But I want a cobra 148 GTL. :D

Get one and have it properly aligned.

Great mobiles but the "good ones" most likely have been screw drivered to pieces.

Also the caps in the good ones are starting to show their age so be prepared to recap if it it can not be aligned to specs.

Reactions: 1 person
Come to the dark side Grogan!

everyone likes to say that the philippines models are the best, but i do not believe that is true.

IMHO the taiwan models, which are the oldest models, are the best hands down.

the variables are the quality of assembly, the quality of the crystals used in them, and sturdiness of the PC board, and more i cant think of right now.

the thing about a taiwan model is that it will have to be re-capped, but after that, it will work great!

goo luck in your search,
LC

I just had a conversation with my Radio Shack/Ham salesman I've known for 20+ years. He said that there's talk of a mini Cobra mobile/base station in the works. I think he said it's designated as a 149 and might be made in the good ole Japan.

I think the quality of the components is more of a factor than what country it was made in. As time goes on they use cheaper/lower quality components. IF they are made in Japan, the radios will still be built with junk. Can't get chicken salad out of chicken scat no matter who is putting it in the mixing bowl.

Yeah, the NW/ST version seems to break a lot. Fixed it twice, and then it broke again. BTW - it was a different problem each time - weird. So, it is in the scrap pile until I grow a wild hair and try it again.

The non-NW/ST version seems to be staying together OK.

Unfortunately, I was not born with the "don't do it" gene. I always buy radios. And I rarely sell or trade them. I needed to have some of m42duster's "sell 'em" genes, I guess.

RT307

Reactions: 3 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.