• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I need a new antenna!!

ExitThirteen

Grumpy and Cranky
Apr 18, 2008
Cornpatch of Iowa
Ok folks, the deal for that NIB Avanti Astroplane fell thru, owner changed his mind and decided not to sell it.... so now I am in the market for a new omnidirectional antenna. I had the original issue Hy-Gain Super Penetrator 500, but it's in really bad shape, not too sure if I can save it, the gamma match is broken in 3 spots, and two sections of the vertical mast are bent/kinked.

What would be a suitable replacement for a SP-500? I'm willing to buy used if the antenna is in great shape, but prefer new. Do I go for a reissue of the SP-500? Anything from the Sirio line that's good? Any info/help would be most appreciated. I miss chatting on the CB and doing my check-ins.

HELP!!! :cry:

~Cheers~

Ok folks, the deal for that NIB Avanti Astroplane fell thru, owner changed his mind and decided not to sell it.... so now I am in the market for a new omnidirectional antenna. I had the original issue Hy-Gain Super Penetrator 500, but it's in really bad shape, not too sure if I can save it, the gamma match is broken in 3 spots, and two sections of the vertical mast are bent/kinked.

What would be a suitable replacement for a SP-500? I'm willing to buy used if the antenna is in great shape, but prefer new. Do I go for a reissue of the SP-500? Anything from the Sirio line that's good? Any info/help would be most appreciated. I miss chatting on the CB and doing my check-ins.

HELP!!! :cry:

~Cheers~

mfj has the remake of that antenna. so they might have the parts you need i dont know
you,d haveto call them. or just get the newer version. the sirio line base antennas
are nice my 2016 been up since 2009 and no issues. if u run low power the gain master
has some nice reviews.coppers also has sirios version of the astroplane which
marconi did a review on .hope this helps

I had thought of getting a new SP-500, but we have LOT of wind up here, and wouldn't mind getting something with less wind resistance.

I remember Marconi's review of the old and new Sirio Top One antennas, but I think he notes that they don't hold up to wind real well. I live in an area where we frequently see winds up to 70 MPH, so I'm more concerned with something that could handle the wind.

I thought about a Sirio M-400 Starduster, and I know Marconi likes the Stardusters, but I don't know if the Sirio version of this antenna will work as well as the old A/S Starduster from the 70's.

If I do get something like a Starduster or a new Top One (if they can take the wind), does the mast have to be of a certain type of metal? Can it be galvanized water pipe, or does it have to be something else?

I'm also looking for something that can handle 2kw PEP. Yeah, I know, I could run one that can handle 1kw PEP, but I like the extra headroom.

I also thought about a Wolf .64 too, does anyone have a price on that antenna?

Also, I did call up MFJ, and since the remakes of the SP-500 are a little different than the originals, they can't provide me with the gamma match, it's made up differently on the new SP-500's. No dice. :(

~Cheers~

I would say the Sirio Vector 4000; but you live in an area that can get very high winds.
Have you considered a wire loop antenna that can be fixed easily enough after the storms goes through? Decent gain and very low noise; but bi-directional . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I would say the Sirio Vector 4000; but you live in an area that can get very high winds.
Have you considered a wire loop antenna that can be fixed easily enough after the storms goes through? Decent gain and very low noise; but bi-directional . . .

I got Vector 4000 type antenna. Replaced top 3 sections with heaver tubeing from DX Enginnering. Got fence top rail (cheap) for a mast. When the Santa Ana winds blow down here it bends like a fishing rod. Bounse back every time. The 8g top rail gives with the wind. Good Luck!

I had thought of getting a new SP-500, but we have LOT of wind up here, and wouldn't mind getting something with less wind resistance.

I remember Marconi's review of the old and new Sirio Top One antennas, but I think he notes that they don't hold up to wind real well. I live in an area where we frequently see winds up to 70 MPH, so I'm more concerned with something that could handle the wind.

Exit13, I have said what you note above about my last original Starduster, and my Old Top One I got from Coppers. They did not deal with the wind well, and I posted the specifics as to why in both cases.

My original SD'r failed because of a faulty radial/mast support bracket that came in the kit. I've had several SDr's over the years that were installed for much longer periods and none of my others ever failed. I took down an old SRr's that I know was up from late 1970's thru the early 1990's. The top fell off, but the radial/mast support was still in tact.

The old Top One I have failed because the top hat hub came loose in the radiator on both ends. This hub was compression fit and over time with wind it just came loose and rotated inside the shortened radiator. IMO I think the original A/P is probably better in this case because it is constructed a little different in this regard.

Sirio's New Top One looks to be designed and constructed much better, but I haven't had it installed for any long period of time. I also don't have much high winds here on the Gulf Coast of Texas, but when we do they tend to get pretty high.

I thought about a Sirio M-400 Starduster, and I know Marconi likes the Stardusters, but I don't know if the Sirio version of this antenna will work as well as the old A/S Starduster from the 70's.

Regarding the issue about Sirio's M400, I can only go by several guys that reported installing their antennas new and the performance they both reported was exceptionally good results. However, only time will really tell.

IMO, these antennas mentioned so far are not very popular among CBr's. We don't see many reports so that makes it hard to tell. So, most will not be convinced by such sparse reporting, and for sure with these all being short center fed 1/2 wave antennas.

If I do get something like a Starduster or a new Top One (if they can take the wind), does the mast have to be of a certain type of metal? Can it be galvanized water pipe, or does it have to be something else?

I'm also looking for something that can handle 2kw PEP. Yeah, I know, I could run one that can handle 1kw PEP, but I like the extra headroom.

IMO, the options for the mast you descibe does not really matter. You can hardly go wrong with either antenna if you can get the antenna tip up high...40'+ feet or more. No comment about running power.

I also thought about a Wolf .64 too, does anyone have a price on that antenna?

As far as I know the Wolf .64 is no longer made. I have a Wolf .64 that has been installed only for testing. I will not let this one go cheap, but I will consider to put it up for the highest bidder.

Also, I did call up MFJ, and since the remakes of the SP-500 are a little different than the originals, they can't provide me with the gamma match, it's made up differently on the new SP-500's. No dice. :(

~Cheers~

Exit13, IMO the matcher on the SP500 is not a gamma match, but I get your point.

There does appear to be some difference in construction between the old SP500's and the New Model. It looks to me like the matcher is simply attached to the radials, hub, and radiator on the opposite sides of the radiator.

You could try and see if MFJ will sell the two piece wire matcher and the hub. That way you won't have to jury-rig the matcher to fit the hub.

Here is an image of my Wolf .64:Wolf .64.JPG

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Marconi, my question to you is... What would you recommend for me, being as I had a SP-500 up? I can put the Starduster plenty up there, I can match it tip for tip with my SP-500, I have plenty of mast. Should I go with a Starduster, or go with something like the Vector 4000 or other similar antenna?

~Cheers~

If the I-10K is not in production,get this one

10/11 METER 5/8 WAVE COLOSSAL 5K GROUNDPLANE VERTICAL ANTENNA

bf7v1.jpg

THE COLOSSAL 5K GROUND PLANE
DUE TO THE HIGH DEMAND OF THIS ITEM, THERE IS A 12 DAY LEAD TIME TILL SHIPPING
THIS IS A TRUE 5/8 WAVE
FREQ RANGE --- 26 TO 30 MHZ TUNABLE...PLEASE ADVISE FREQUENCY WHEN ORDERING
POWER 5KW PEP/SSB
2 TO 1 BANDWIDTH --- 500KHZ
WEIGHT --- 16LBS
HEIGHT --- 20 FEET FOR 10M - 21.95 FEET FOR 11 M
WIND RATING --- 100MPH
MAST SIZE --- UP TO 1 5/8 INCH OD
RADIALS --- 4 AT 100 INCHES
MATCHING --- PARALLEL TUNED NETWORK
FEED CONNECTOR --- SO-239 5KW SSB
GOOD QUALITY RG8 OR LMR 400 SHOULD BE USED WITH THIS VERTICAL
The buyer must sign for this item upon delivery
Price: $329.00

Last edited by a moderator:
10/11 METER 5/8 WAVE COLOSSAL 5K GROUNDPLANE VERTICAL ANTENNA

THE COLOSSAL 5K GROUND PLANE
DUE TO THE HIGH DEMAND OF THIS ITEM, THERE IS A 12 DAY LEAD TIME TILL SHIPPING
THIS IS A TRUE 5/8 WAVE
FREQ RANGE --- 26 TO 30 MHZ TUNABLE...PLEASE ADVISE FREQUENCY WHEN ORDERING
POWER 5KW PEP/SSB
2 TO 1 BANDWIDTH --- 500KHZ
WEIGHT --- 16LBS
HEIGHT --- 20 FEET FOR 10M - 21.95 FEET FOR 11 M
WIND RATING --- 100MPH
MAST SIZE --- UP TO 1 5/8 INCH OD
RADIALS --- 4 AT 100 INCHES
MATCHING --- PARALLEL TUNED NETWORK
FEED CONNECTOR --- SO-239 5KW SSB
GOOD QUALITY RG8 OR LMR 400 SHOULD BE USED WITH THIS VERTICAL
The buyer must sign for this item upon delivery
Price: $329.00

Man, can you make this image smaller?

Last edited:
Well you don't need 2kW or even 1kW ( 2kW is only 3dB or HALF A S POINT more than 1kW to the other station) and once you get that stupid idea out of your head you get a lot more options and you don't need to spend $330.

"Gotta have me all them watts so I can get heard across the street" herp derp. No you don't. Point to point communication is limited by the radio horizon, the distance of which is determined by the height of the antenna above sea level and for people a few hundred feet above sea level is typically around 50-60 miles. You can shove 10kW into an antenna and you won't overcome that.

Reactions: NZ8N

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.