• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I need a new antenna!!

Looks good! Happy dx'ing!! It's been okay here the last few days but the weather is BAD! Too much lightning to have things connected for me.

I was considering moving up to the 5/8's club with the Imax 2000 and it's less lossey tuning section or a Maco V58. I'd like to try a Starduster but don't have the extra height unless some antenna tower modifications are done.

Updates please.
Question:have you've ever run an A99 and how would the Starduster compare with it?

A new Sirio Starduster arrived yesterday. It's soo bad it wasn't last Friday as expected or I would have had this answer for you. Hopefully I will be able to swap out the A99 over the weekend. I'll keep you posted.

Well, I got the Starduster up last night but haven't really had a chance to do much due to a tough work schedule. Receive wise it is a bit more quiet - I have a huge RFI issue from what I suspect are grow lights - but things are still noisy across the board and signals that I can hear above the noise level are close to the same. Hopefully I will have some time in the AM when I know things are more quiet. The one contact I made was as easy as it is with the A99. I heard them, I could make contact.

I will probably create a new thread with all the details, if only so I have a record,:), but initial thoughts ...

A99 = $80.00 to the door.
Starduster = $82 to the door.

You lose 10 feet of height off the bat with the Starduster so you need to account for that as well as an added cost.
You need 10 extra feet of coax. In my case, due to a different mounting location (19 feet difference) to gain height I needed to purchase additional.
The A99 takes less than 30 minutes to setup. The Starduster about 1.5 leisurely hours.

..but, it's still not fair to judge performance until I can get a quiet morning or a day where the skip is rolling in strong.

Ok folks, the deal for that NIB Avanti Astroplane fell thru, owner changed his mind and decided not to sell it.... so now I am in the market for a new omnidirectional antenna. I had the original issue Hy-Gain Super Penetrator 500, but it's in really bad shape, not too sure if I can save it, the gamma match is broken in 3 spots, and two sections of the vertical mast are bent/kinked.

What would be a suitable replacement for a SP-500? I'm willing to buy used if the antenna is in great shape, but prefer new. Do I go for a reissue of the SP-500? Anything from the Sirio line that's good? Any info/help would be most appreciated. I miss chatting on the CB and doing my check-ins.

HELP!!! :cry:
tor

~Cheers~
6 March 2020
I replaced my I-MAX 2000 today and installed a Colossal 10K base antenna. After a couple adjustments of the capacitor, the VSWR on Ch. 1 = 1.0, Ch. 20 = 1.3 and Ch. 40 = 1.25. Top of antenna is 55' above the ground.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.