• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is anyone making a new base station

I like the dx electronics base, the big galaxy meter is a nice touch.
If only we could make that board swing like a galaxy.
Yep!, I like it, also. Id like a frequency display, also. Yes I know the Ares 2/QT40 tell you the frequency by pushing the up/down buttons on the mic at the same time.. I just think a display would be better on a Base radio. Id like to see a little more power out, also, but nothing to wild. Maybe an RFX95 added? A spectrum scope or waterfall display would be awesome, but we are getting into Icom IC-7300 territory now.... Panic Attack showed a video of an NPC mod that heled them a bit. He posted it on Facebook..

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
A bigger speaker. And more knobs. Maybe more meters. But in a day when knobs are going completely away, that part won't hold for long.
External speaker always sounds better than any built in, whether its a base or a mobile. Knobs as you say are becoming less of a thing (which sucks). More and bigger meters is nice, but most bases I've had didn't have great meters either even if they were bigger. And how big of a meter do you really need to read SWR, power and signal ? And bases tend to be more overpriced than mobiles while basically doing the same thing........ Just my 2 cents worth......

Has anyone seen the DX Electronics base radio on Facebook? Its basically an Ares 2 in a box with a power supply and speaker and bigger meter. Not bad looking....

I stumbled across one on fleaBay. It's different. Not sure how effective the heatsink on the rear of the mobile chassis it's derived from is inside the box on the base. Maybe the side vents handle it no problem, just seems a bit odd to me.

Overall I have to give props to the guy building them. At least he's filling a market demand. If I wasn't too cheap to buy a 3D printer I might be tempted to try my hand at recasing an AT5555 or 6666.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.