• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Iso: 2 meter base antenna

If it was me, I would put a yagi up at least 50'. Minimum a 4 element but inclined to be more. I would ensure I used to quality coax with the minimum splices in it.

Reactions: Bearcat
If it was me, I would put a yagi up at least 50'. Minimum a 4 element but inclined to be more. I would ensure I used to quality coax with the minimum splices in it.
would this work for FM ...decent range? I'm up on a hill too

You are going to be hard pressed to work 100 miles on FM simplex
Agreed but 50+ is possible, I have done almost 50 miles mobile to base on 2 meters. We were both near the noise level but readable but this is a rarity.

Just as a side note I once did almost 70 miles HT to base simplex and the base has his antenna at 125'... of course this was a slight band opening.

Last edited:
I have hit a repeater at about 115 miles in the mobile with 50 watts not sure if i could have done less. But that being said i was at 6000' and the repeater i hit was pretty hi also. So location was key. Haven't tried simplex much or ssb at yet but will one of theses days.

I have hit a repeater at about 115 miles in the mobile with 50 watts not sure if i could have done less. But that being said i was at 6000' and the repeater i hit was pretty hi also. So location was key. Haven't tried simplex much or ssb at yet but will one of theses days.

Heck I might as well go back to CB if vhf struggles to get across the county....5 mile ragchew isn't what I want to get into..I want 50-and beyond miles...I'm 60 miles north of Dallas tx and I would love to get into Dallas and Chat without bouncing repeaters...I got a cell phone for that

But that range on 2m is really what repeaters are for. Please explain why you are adverse to the thought using them.

You can put up the 50' tower and big Yagi, buy an all mode 2 meter rig and amp. Then you have to find someone to talk to. We've been saying in this and other posts you have up on 2m that finding hams doing weak signal SSB and direct FM is scarce. Repeaters make it so much easier.

Want to talk out to 500 miles during the day then 40 meters is the answer. 80 at night but don't expect to do it on 2M.

Distance on VHF is line of site. It doesn't matter if you are talking simplex or hitting a repeater. A repeater is just a tool to talk further than you could on simplex.

I hit repeaters 30 to 50 miles all the time from ~20 feet above sea level, and that gets me to folks 100 miles out. I hit repeaters 100 miles out when I am parked at 3400 feet above sea level.

Plug your location into this neat little website and see how your line of site works out for your location.
http://www.heywhatsthat.com

Reactions: RatsoW8
For example here's view to my south where I hit a repeater 55 miles away. This then means I can talk to another WWDXer who is about another 35 miles further south.
upload_2016-2-18_13-40-25.png

But that range on 2m is really what repeaters are for. Please explain why you are adverse to the thought using them. You can put up the 50' tower and big Yagi, buy an all mode 2 meter rig and amp. Then you have to find someone to talk to. We've been saying in this and other posts you have up on 2m that finding hams doing weak signal SSB and direct FM is scarce. Repeaters make it so much easier.

Want to talk out to 500 miles during the day then 40 meters is the answer. 80 at night but don't expect to do it on 2M.

Yes this is what we have been saying all along. Apparently you do not understand the way different frequencies work.Use the proper band for the application. You seem to be demanding something happen that just does not exist.

I'm in the wrong world..I can't pass the general...can't afford the equipment....and vHF is a watered down cell phone...CB I'm headed home!

Don't give up so easily. You CAN pass the General exam and find reasonably priced hf gear. I'm sure we can help with that part if and when you pass the exam.

And by the way; you have a ham and repeaters to thank for your cell phone ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.