• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just got my Grant II and have some questions

rickou812

Apr 9, 2014
N. Florida
Is there a way to get talkback on a grant II? It does not have a PA jack, so an external speaker with talkback will not work. Are there any other options?
Also, did not realize it did not have echo...etc.. I just thought that stuff was standard features these days.
So can a Xtreme 2018 mic be wired or adapted to work with the Grant II?

Is there a way to get talkback on a grant II? It does not have a PA jack, so an external speaker with talkback will not work. Are there any other options?
Also, did not realize it did not have echo...etc.. I just thought that stuff was standard features these days.
So can a Xtreme 2018 mic be wired or adapted to work with the Grant II?

2018 should work on that fine. as for talkback im guessing ya want that to adjust echeo
id just set up however ya want on another radio that has talkback write down on paper
different settings you liked and didnt like so if it get bumped you,ll know where to put it back
really dont need talkback

God dang........echo on a fine SSB radio......and even talk back....wow, ok. Yea I would just go with the 2018 echo mic that also has talkback built in. I assume that you have already bought the radio from a quality shop that does proper tech work.

God dang........echo on a fine SSB radio......and even talk back....wow, ok. Yea I would just go with the 2018 echo mic that also has talkback built in. I assume that you have already bought the radio from a quality shop that does proper tech work.

yup . why people spend money on echeo boards is beyond me.
im not much of a echeo fan. BUT the 2018 does have a nice clean sound
with the echeo and has more variable sound too it.also has talk back
and noise reducer [which i do like]best of when ya get rid of radio
unscrew the 2018 and screw the stock mic back in,then use 2018
on new radio.my down side ive found is those 2 tiny adjustments
talkback and moodulation dont like small screw drivers. i recommend
plastic tip screw drivers [coppers has them] or just leave them be

Been using my Grant II for quite a while now and really like it a lot. Anybody else have and good or bad to say??

Attachments

• Grant II in use 4-27-14.jpg
    Grant II in use 4-27-14.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 8
The talkback feature is a simple matter of keeping the receive speaker on while transmitting. The easiest way to do that is at the mic jack by using a switch to keep the RX pin grounded during TX. Most of the time that will make the talkback too loud so you just put a resistor in series with the switch. Something between 47 and 100 ohms usually works well.

PS: Trucker 442, if that Yaesu board in the plastic bag doesn't receive, it's the 4 pin Field Effect Transistor plugged in the green socket.

I've been using it for a few weeks now and no complaints at all.. Well, except for the selector knob occasionally skipping channels or it changing channels with a little nudge and no click.. but meh. Everyone assumes I'm on a base so I can't complain. Use the memory function to switch between bands and you're good to go.
Running it with a sirio 5000 in a mobile.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Don't know if quick spinning would make it worse over time or if that's just how it is. Regardless it's good to know that it's not just my unit's knob with a case of the wimps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like mine better than my galaxy 99v2. It's in the closet now.
The noise blanker could be better when in sideband mode though. I like the channel changing ability you have with the mic.

ShockWave I did get the newest FET for that board, guess you sure know your 101 radios LOL.

I believe the FT-101 may be the most abundant HF rig ever manufactured. I did service work for a Yaesu factory authorized center back then. When the original transistor supply dried up, the last ones we were replacing it with was a 3SK51. That's also the part Yaesu switched to in the 101ZD, 901DM and 902DM. I still have the 101ZD purchased back in high school after a summer of saving. It's been in my attic for a decade and I just fired it up last month. One pilot light behind the VFO with a few shots of contact cleaner and it's like new again.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.