• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TS-480 optional filter choice

Heavy your missing the point.
YOU CAN NOT USE THESE CW NARROW FILTERS FOR SSB OR ANY OTHER VOICE MODE.it doesnt work it's to narrow and makes the audio garbled.

Understood that, but also was under the illusion of some( not on here ), that narrower was also able to reject signals from bleeding over. That's I guess was incorrect I assume now?

Narrower filters will reject more, problem is if you get too narrow you start rejecting parts of the signal which you want to keep. CW uses narrower filters because the signal itself is narrower.

Understood that, but also was under the illusion of some( not on here ), that narrower was also able to reject signals from bleeding over. That's I guess was incorrect I assume now?
Lets use a window to represent signal bandwidth. If the window is 2.1 feet (KHz) wide and you look out it thru curtains that are only open half a foot (500Hz) do you see the full picture or only a very narrow piece of it? Sure the curtains block a lot of the sunlight (adjacent channel interference) but they also block your view of the landscape. Now imagine that that audio has a HUGE slice either side of center taken out of it just like the curtains block the window. Get it now?

Great way to explain it CK!! That sums it up quite well. So with that being said, unless you are really into CW, no need to buy a different than stick filter. Get the TXCO, and the 1.8khz for SSB. If the filters are just plug and play, then try a couple different SSB filters if they are available. Which I am sure they are. At any rate. Don't spend money needlessly! Buy something else for it instead of the 500hz filter. Like a good mic. Or something else. JMHO. Have fun either way and keep us posted as to how you managed. Good day.

I get that HM, but do you need it? If it's for CW like stated it won't work on any voice mode. So it's not necessary unless you are into CW mode and want to upgrade that aspect. But it will do nothing for SSB. The only slot you need is the one for SSB if that is what you would like to change. I think that is what you are wanting anyway. Or do you do a lot of CW or Morse Code, then the CW filter truly isn't needed and is may be a waste of money for you and could be spent a better way. Just some food for thought.

I know what your saying and I look It like this I never had anything fully decked out lol, GET IT... LOL, kidding but serious note I just said to myself why not just put it in full it. Since I have to crack open the case for the TCXO I might as well put the crystals in too.

Also don't think the filters are plug and play, their solder perminatly in dunno if if I could rig it to be removable?

On a side note give me a few and maybe hook up on .435 U or L, use to be on .420 U back into the '70's / early '80's, always shouting down to venzuauala, those were the days

Reactions: 222DBFL
Also don't think the filters are plug and play, their solder perminatly in dunno if if I could rig it to be removable?...

The filter solders to the circuit board, ..........the board itself is plug and play.

Why would you want to remove them? just select/de-select them in the menu.

Now I understand!! Wasn't trying to be rude or anything! Please don't think I was coming across that way. I have to agree. I would add some stuff to my radio if I ever crack the case. Until something happens that isn't going to happen! Popping the lids. I leave well enough be!! It works and works well. So why mess with it. But if it were new then yes I would get as many options as I could afford for sure!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.