• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

listen twice; talk once

redbeast

Aug 14, 2016
My old k40 finally bit the big one- so I'm thinking Wilson 1000, 5000, or sirio 5000. One thing I liked about the k40 was the 1/4 turn feature- made it real easy to reach up and undo when pulling in the garage. My guess is that the others won't be quite as easy. I do a 1:15 min commute twice a day, and right now am running a Cobra 25 ltd classic stock and barefoot. In the future would like to step on the 25 a little- really just looking for a unit that talks good barefoot without having to go crazy. In any event- comments on the antennas- budget is always a concern, but quality don't necessarily jibe with budget- do the others screw down like a pl259??

If you get a version of either antenna that connects to a 3/8 threaded mount (both companies call them "trucker" antennas I believe) you can get quick release and fold over components that will screw into the mount and the antenna screws into the component.

Sirio might make a fold over version of their antenna, at least I am remembering that off the top of my head, I could be wrong, but would have to check...

The DB

Reactions: phantom309
If you get a version of either antenna that connects to a 3/8 threaded mount (both companies call them "trucker" antennas I believe) you can get quick release and fold over components that will screw into the mount and the antenna screws into the component.

Sirio might make a fold over version of their antenna, at least I am remembering that off the top of my head, I could be wrong, but would have to check...

The DB
My old k40 finally bit the big one- so I'm thinking Wilson 1000, 5000, or sirio 5000. One thing I liked about the k40 was the 1/4 turn feature- made it real easy to reach up and undo when pulling in the garage. My guess is that the others won't be quite as easy. I do a 1:15 min commute twice a day, and right now am running a Cobra 25 ltd classic stock and barefoot. In the future would like to step on the 25 a little- really just looking for a unit that talks good barefoot without having to go crazy. In any event- comments on the antennas- budget is always a concern, but quality don't necessarily jibe with budget- do the others screw down like a pl259??

Thanks DB- my bad, forgot to mention I was using a mag mount on the roof of a geo metro, never thought about the trucker mount you mentioned. The nice thing about the k40 was i didnt have to unass my seat to pull the antenna. Is the $ for the sirio really worth what little power i'd be running through it? I,m looking to stay small but get out without a doubt. In hindsight, I should not have sold my 148gtl when i stopped driving otr. Now with this commute really want a good strong setup

The antenna is the part that does all of the work, the radio - power - is just along for the ride. If you have a crappy antenna, who are you going to talk to, except the people that are the closest or the loudest.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
If you've liked the K40, just get another K40. You can run a 100 watts through it with no problem. I don't know if I'd want to put anything bigger in a geo. Even if you could find room, it would probably melt your alternator.
Sirio antenna fold over, wilsons unscrew, you just need to decide if losing the quick detach feature you use a lot is worth the extra performance you'll get from a better antenna.

Reactions: rumblefish
Don't scrimp on the antenna. If you like magmounts get the SIRIO 5000. Don't get the thin magnet get the heavier magnet. The SIRIO screws down over the SO-239 connector.
I have seen a few people who get a Cobra this that or some other model and they get upset because they can't get out. It's the antenna gets you out.

Don't scrimp on the antenna. If you like magmounts get the SIRIO 5000. Don't get the thin magnet get the heavier magnet. The SIRIO screws down over the SO-239 connector.
I have seen a few people who get a Cobra this that or some other model and they get upset because they can't get out. It's the antenna gets you out.
Yeah, I realize that the antenna is the key, my k40 was an easy 30 year vet, so i guess i got my $ out of it. The thing is im going to be taking it on and off 2x a day at least 6 days a week, that was what was nice about the k40. While. reading posts here have heard concerns about water intrusion in the wilsons??? Im kinda leaning towards the wilson mag 5000,i like the idea of the thicker wire in the coil. While im tempted to go with another k40, not sure if the new ones are as good as the old ones, not much is noeadays!! My plan was to do the usual resistor and adjust v5, and l8,9,10.........and maybe jump up to the 1969 final.....what i've been hearing here is that the 25/29 models are such that it doesn't take a lot to get them to talk, so given that ......like you are saying .......it's all antenna. That being said ive always felt overkill on antenna is best, not like im trying to get 3000w out of my 25. Thanks for input guys, been reading a lot of posts and researching stuff -I like to hear different sides, and everyone up here makes good sense........(well, mostly!) As an old school guy from the 70/80s its nice to get back in the saddle

Redbeast, I have all of these antennas and the Sirio was the best. The Sirio came out of the package tuned perfect on my vehicle, I drilled a hole in the center of cab. I could never get the Wilsons as low on the swr, they were usable but not as low as I would have liked. The biggest difference was TX and DX the Sirio received and got out a lot better , now it could have been conditions but I don't think this was the case just seemed to to reach out.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
attachment.php
Quick disconnects come in handy.
[photo="large"]1996[/photo]
kinda depends on how they are installed,........... jus sayin

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Quick disconnects come in handy.
[photo="large"]1996[/photo]
Yeah rabbiporkchop, i was thinking about some type of quick disconnect, like the ones i used to see on the firesticks. Dtill mulling it over, found my old 102 whip setup downstairs......thought i had gotten rid of it....thank god i was smart enuff not to. I drive a geo metro on my commute, real small so space and ground plane are issues which why im thinking base load. Although i know its hard to beat the whip. I have always had pretty good luck with the k40, esp its 1/4 turn feature, but know the wilsons and sirio are better. The whip is still an option, im gonna think on where to drill for the mount.....saw a kid mount one with a triple puck on the roof...yeah, ok....but at highway speed????? The sirio laying down is nice too. Dont have to hurry, theres always plenty of good ideas out there, and im never above stealing a good idea!!!!!!!!# 73s.

Redbeast, I have all of these antennas and the Sirio was the best. The Sirio came out of the package tuned perfect on my vehicle, I drilled a hole in the center of cab. I could never get the Wilsons as low on the swr, they were usable but not as low as I would have liked. The biggest difference was TX and DX the Sirio received and got out a lot better , now it could have been conditions but I don't think this was the case just seemed to to reach out.
love my Sirio 5000 !

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.