• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mars Cap Mod?

Have you heard any activity on 11 meters? I don't remember what kind of antenna you said you were using. With my 5/8 wave maco and my BMT shockwave I can listen to any HF band...both are deaf on 6 meters and up. The matching device in some antennas won't allow you to receive certain bands very well. Do you have any tuners or filters inline that could be filtering out the frequencies you're trying to listen to?

For RX you could toss a long wire over some trees and try that. A long extension cord, alligator clip and some old coax of any kind can be used for a cheap test.

I think you have to be a rocket scientist to operate it!!! all I get is white noise nothing going on..
Hmm...Even with just a known working CB antenna and coax, tune around the phone portion of 20 meters (14.150 thru 14.350 MHz) on Upper side band and you should hear stations during the day and early evenings. I'm hearing plenty of stations on 20m right now with a 10 meter Moxon beam.

Your radio has an ATU (AUTO-TUNER), have you tried using this? Some auto-tuners use relays that are inactive until you press the "Tune " button. Once the relays are activated, full receive will be restored. This is definitely the case with my MFJ-998 external auto-tuner and could be with your radio.

On your setup with only a CB antenna, the ATU doesn't have enough tuning range for bands below the CB band to tune, but you can activate the ATU relays by tuning on the CB band with your CB antenna. Then you can listen to other bands from there.

Try all filter knobs being centered at their 12 o'clock positions. The filter bar graph should shows this.

You could try a full factory reset. It should be in your manual listed under resetting micro-processor. This will put your radio back to factory fresh in case you made a menu setting that is hanging the radio up. It's generally easy to do just by holding a couple buttons and re-powering the radio.

Last edited:
I have no filters or the tuner is built into the radio

Just making sure you didn't have an external tuner in line for one reason or another. Some tuners will give you a high pass or bandpass filter effect. I've never used the tornado so I can't really comment about that. I do remember reading something about the matching network on that antenna that made it different than similar designs.

Is it working on the CB frequencies?

On a different note this yaesu is a whole lot smarter than me...LOL
If it says "I'm sorry, undertaker. I'm afraid I can't do that." that's when you know you're in trouble.:whistle:

looks like I need some kind of antenna for just monitoring the bands . Do they make such a thing?
I would do some homework on antennas for shortwave receivers, just don't try transmitting through one.

looks like I need some kind of antenna for just monitoring the bands . Do they make such a thing?

String up the longest dipole you can as high as possible. They are easy to build or you can buy one from dx engineering or hro for a premium price. My first ham antenna was a 40 meter dipole made of 24awg mag wire. Almost invisible and worked great with 100 watts SSB.

For now, you can unscrew the ground portion of your PL-259 connector at the back of the rig. Just leave the center conductor in place. This effectively uses the coax to "lengthen" the antenna, and you should be able to listen to the lower bands. Just don't forget to screw it back on when you are transmitting on 11 meters. Trust me, it works.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.