• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mars Cap Mod?

Got it pluged in neat radio have it on 27.555 usb But nothing going on. Is there any ham band I can listen to?? Just to see how she sounds...

Wow w9cll this radio is so much more different like you said. I am reading the manual but still need help trying to figure out this rig.. Any suggestions??

Also Undertaker, don't be surprised if you can't hear some of the other bands bedsides the CB or 11m band due to your antenna. About the best thing you can do is to hang a long wire up for receiving only so you can tune around and listen. I've had some luck using dipoles as well on other bands just for listening, but my Sirio vector 4000 doesn't have very good ears outside of the 11m band. I can hear some stuff on 20 and 40 meters, but. It like I did with the long wire dipole I made. Just some food for thought. Easy to make a long wire dipole as well for receive only. Just don't transmit on it unless you know it's got a good VSWR. Not sure how well the internal tuner works on your radio, but I never chanced it with my radio and using the internal tuner, for transmitting anyhow. Just receiving stuff was fun when the 11m band is dead. And it makes you want to get your ticket even more!! As far as setting the radio up, use the settings that M0GVZ posted and also play around some with the settings. Just write down where things seem to work best as it will help you to in the long run to keep track of things!! Again, just some food for thought.

Daytime and early evenings, tune between 14.150 and 14.350 MHz. That's the 20 meter phone band. Any DX (outside US) will be late afternoon towards sunset.

Night time 40 meters, 7.125 -7.300 MHz. DX is typically below 7.200.

Bands haven't been to good for us last couple weeks do don't get discouraged, it bounces back.

Other bands when open.
17m 18.110- 18.168

15m 21.200-21.450

10 and 12 meters will have some sporadic openings for the next couple years, until then it's dead.

Go into the menu and set the contour level to +6. Next adjust the contour to around 2000Hz. You'll find it makes the clarity of SSB better.

Notch you only really use when you've got something like a muppet keying up on CW to tune their amp.

DNR I've found on Yaesus you don't really want to go higher than 2 or 3. Go too high and it gives a warble to the received audio which can make it harder to understand.

You also have an attenuator. If your S meter is showing more than S1/S2 with no received signal use the attenuator. Sounds contrary to reduce gain to increase the ability to hear signals but what you do is increase the dynamic range of the radio, you just have to turn up the volume knob a bit on SSB.
Thank you I will give it a try. the last 24 hrs have been kind of heard as my wife had her second heart attack late yesterday . I'm at the hospital now and she is sleeping , and I just needed to do something to get my mind off things . As soon as things get normal and my wife comes home I am going to try the settings.
Thank you.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.