• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Export Reviews Please

From what I recall you can remove the detent in the coarse tune on any radio by carefully opening up the switch and removing the ball bearing that sits in it, was often done to Cobra 148 GTL DX and SS3900 amonst many others here, although personally I don't see the need, tune the radio once its preheated for about 45 mins, make sure fine is set dead centre while doing so and use the coarse to tune anyone.

Soon as you start using fine receive only clarifiers you will run into problems as soon as you have more than 2 stations on the same frequency, if everyone locks on with coarse tune then they will all be transmitting and receiving on exactly the same frequency, and anyone joing should do likewise, if one only has a fine tune/clarifier then everyone should use coarse to tune into his tx frequency, if he clarifies one, he clarifies all, its not rocket science, wee've been doing it here since 1980,

only fannies that have to see 27.555.000 on their display would worry about being a tad off frequency,The biggest irony being those with the readouts that say 27.555.000 are rarely actual frequency counters and are more displays, so it is very very critical they are set up properly to read bang on frequency, and most of these type of Morons are the local who's radio is the frequency standard all others should be judged by, fucking laughable,

even radios with .5ppm tcxo are allowed to be +/- 54 Hz and still be classed as bang on frequency under manufacturer specs, that's why these radios have vfo's and RIT's a posh name for a clarifier, no two sideband radios will ever be the exact same frequency and all drift no matter how small or large the drift is. That's why you get frequency stability specs, I ain't seen. Radio yet that don't drift at least a few hertz from cold to warm with a decnt accurate counter and you may need 8 digits to see it but more often than not you'll even see it on 7 digit counters.

All this my radio doesn't drift pish dates back to the days people had 5 digit counters and couldn't see any drift less than 1 khz.
i agree with most of this. but the coarse knob is way too touchy to use to tune people in.
i have my 3900 with both clarifers married together and just use the fine nowhere near
as touchy, and best of all only 1 clarifer to use as fine does both tx/rx

I see what you both saying Jazzsinger and Hotrod. I was initially under the impression the unlocked coarse would override the locked fine (my first radio with dual clarifier s) but i found out otherwise when the thing drifted a little due to temp change in my truck and I couldn't get back on tx freq for anything. Therefore, I unlocked the fine this morning and everything seems good. (y)

The Cobra 29 ltd has the best recieve , actually better than the exports.
I have 4 made in the phillipines , of course there AM only, but Rock solid.

Typical values for each radio:

Adjacent channel rejection : Export 50db 29LTD 60db

Image rejection: 50db 80db

Selectivity: 6db @ 3khz 6db @ 7khz

(50db @ 9khz) (60db @ 10khz)

Sensitivity: .5mv 1mv

The Cobra 29 ltd has the best recieve , actually better than the exports.
I have 4 made in the phillipines , of course there AM only, but Rock solid.

Typical values for each radio:

Adjacent channel rejection : Export 50db 29LTD 60db

Image rejection: 50db 80db

Selectivity: 6db @ 3khz 6db @ 7khz

(50db @ 9khz) (60db @ 10khz)

Sensitivity: .5mv 1mv

Wish they did something similar but with SSB also.

I got what is called a Superstar 360FM aka a Cobra 148 GTL DX i love this radio audio is old school swings like a mad man on AM and SSB is nice after it warms up.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.