• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need help with antenna mast

Do not try to walk up an extended push up pole with the antenna on it. Secure the pole first and get your guy wires cut and installed. Once it's straight you can collapse the sections and install the antenna. You can cut all your guys using Pythagora's theorem. If you don't remember this from high school geometry Google it and you can find a calculator.

A squared + B squared = C squared

Bearcat, I don't recommend attaching any antenna on or next to your house unless that is your only choice. I did it for years and I always had to pay big $ for the damage it caused.

I mount my vertical CB antennas on a near fully collapsed push-up pole. I start by bury a nice long (6') heavy cast iron pipe treated for burying in the ground. I attach my mast to this pole using heavy gate clamps used in fence construction.

After mounting the antenna to the P/U pole and fixing the coax to the feed point, I pick it all up, and plant the bottom near the 3.5' support pole. I put the bottom of the mast a little into the dirt to secure the base from moving around as I walk it up to the vertical position...holding the mast against my body so I can feel if it starts to move. After I get the setup vertical, I place it up on a heavy flat patio stone so it does not touch the dirt and get the mast up close to the pipe. The main thing is always control the base of the antenna mast and secure that part first. This part of the install really needs some help to secure the whole thing using the gate clamps...including the guy lines. Of course I only work these installs on good days with little to no wind or chance of rain.

These push-up poles do not last long if buried or sitting in dirt. If you have to physically ground your antenna (recommended) then that is a separate project. Again I also guy this mast well in several heights if necessary depending on height.

My PU poles are 40' footers. The mast itself is about 12' tall when collapsed leaving enough of the tip section for mounting the antenna. With a typical antenna attached to the top section the are still light enough to handle if you maintain good control as you walk it up. The main thing is plan well ahead, and be careful.

Then I get on a good heavy secure ladder, push the pole up, and secure it well.

I don't recommend it, but I have done most of my antenna installation, 100+ installs by myself, and I've never had an incident...thank the Lord.

I recommend you always have help, and stay well clear of all over-hanging wires. If you are not confident with any of these procedures...DON'T DO IT,
but it can be done.

Last edited:
Look up at the trees and if there's a breeze wait until another day to raise it. That should be common sense but I know we've all done some risky things to get on the air. If you have any doubts it's not worth it.

Reactions: Bearcat and Marconi

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.