• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need of new am

All im saying is a class c box CAN work on ssb. Im not saying its proper, but the fact is its capable of transmitting on ssb.

Just trying to clear up some truth about the statement " class c boxes will NOT work. " The FACT is it will, regardless of every other factor. It will work. And I agree, you should try to go for the best quality audio that you can achive. Just don't let people tell you that you cant use class c on ssb. Because you can. It may not be perfect but what is.

Well said, it will work, a moped can also be driven on a four lane interstate.

See the comparison?

class C amps have their uses, IE AM and FM modes. they will work in other modes but the class C is not designed for those modes.

Use the class amplifier for the intended purpose and the results will be good.

Use the amp for other than the designed purpose and the results will sound like crap.

You say you are only an 11 meter CB operator, options are open for anyone to upgrade their knowledge and operating privileges.

The principles are the same no matter what frequency or mode of operation you want to work.

Ham, CB, everything is the same, no difference, the theory, operation and laws of physics all apply.

So try not to make this a ham, cb thing as it is not that.

Many informative posts on this thread, many knowledgeable posters have taken time to contribute information.

Reactions: 3 people
All im saying is a class c box CAN work on ssb. Im not saying its proper, but the fact is its capable of transmitting on ssb.

Just trying to clear up some truth about the statement " class c boxes will NOT work. " The FACT is it will, regardless of every other factor. It will work. And I agree, you should try to go for the best quality audio that you can achive. Just don't let people tell you that you cant use class c on ssb. Because you can. It may not be perfect but what is.

Saying that something will or will not work is a matter of semantics. Will it work as in function? Yes. Will it work as it should? No. Yes any class of amp will function on SSB however only class B or higher will function as it should and even then class B is pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable. Many old amateur amps were class B however most today, if not all, are class ab.

The FACT is it will, regardless of every other factor. It will work. And I agree, you should try to go for the best quality audio that you can achive. Just don't let people tell you that you cant use class c on ssb. Because you can. It may not be perfect but what is.

You can use them if you don't give a toss about the crap you put out.

So whilst it will have a signal that can be heard on the frequency you intend, because it also can be heard almost equally well on several others you don't intend it to be including some that can actually result in jail time if the FCC were to get complaints then no, it doesn't work.

To give an analogy you might finally understand:

The definition of "works" you're using is akin to having a V8 car running on 6 cylinders with a plume of oil smoke bellowing out behind it and still saying it was working fine because it would still get you to work or the store.

How long would your feedline last dissipating 400 watts of heat?

Quite a long time. On our clubs station site we have runs of RG213 300ft or more to the tribander on the tower. Its fairly narrow banded so runs around 2.5:1 at the dotty end of CW and the upper end of the SSB portion of the 20/15/10m bands.

Manages to do a full weekend constest just fine. We've been using the same coax for the half decade I've been a member of the club.

I suppose. That 400 watts would be pep so only about 150-200 watts average worsy case when actually transmitting plus receive cool down cycle and 300 feet to spread it out over. It's been eight years since I left broadcasting but sometimes I still think in 100% duty cycle continuous service terms. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.