• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need some HELP!!!!!!!!

service bros.

Feb 13, 2009
Hello, I have a couple of questions. Im a truck driver and im quite new to cb radios, antennas, amplifiers, etc. i just recently bought a Cobra 29 NW Ltd. and also 2 Wilson 2000 antennas. What can i do to my radio to get the most distance and performance? Do i need to install an Amplifier? or a 50 or 100 watt band installed on the radio? And if i do any of these things to my radio will this affect the life span of the radio? Thank you for taking some time to look at my post.

First off, "or a 50 or 100 watt band installed on the radio", I have never heard of this and have no clue what you are talking about. Lets pretend we never even talked of this. I would also wait on an amplifier since you should know what you are doing before you decide to install an illegal product like a cb amplifier.

The most important part of your set-up is the antenna system. Are you going to run one antenna or go co-phased with two? The Wilson is a great antenna choice. Make sure you have good aftermarket coax, or a co-phased harness if you plan on running two antennas. The new factory coax is not really what you want to use anymore.

The antenna needs to have the SWR set properly. Your shooting for anything from 1.0-1.5 . You might have to add some ground strap to your mirrior mount down to the frame of the truck.

Next up is have a good tech peak, tune, and align your radio. You don't want anything clipped or removed. Talk to the tech BEFORE he opens up your radio and find out what he plans on doing and how he does it. You might also consider a better mic, I hate stock mic's.

also tune the antenna with an external inline meter . never trust the radios built in vswr meter when tuning an antenna .

id also suggest just using one antenna on the drivers mirror bar , make sure the coil in the middle of the antenna is above the roofline of your truck for best performance . get that much set up and operating good then get yourself a 2x2879 amp .

Just remember too what cb stands for, constantly buying........lol. Once you get things going shout back with your results.

You aint lying about always Constantly Buying! lol. As soon as i get evrything set up and going. i will holler back with the results. Thanks again!!!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.