• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Antenna Install

Nick23

Desperado, 785
Aug 16, 2013
Bangor, ME
I have been using a CB radio for about 4 years now and am just now getting more serious about the hobby. I ran a k30 then a little wil. Trying to get more serious I got a Predator 10-k with a single 5 inch mag(stupid I know now). Then with a new residence I ran into some height issues switched to a 4 Wilson fgt. I have finally decided to do a hard mount( after many issue of poor performance and magnets flying off). Need some guidance here: should I drill a hole in the center of my roof and run an antenna under 5 feet or do a door jamb mount on the back hatch of my truck. If I do the door jamb mount I would run a 102 whip. Problem I have a roof rack... Will a antenna in the center of my roof under 5 feet preform better than a 102 near a roof rack? Also will a door jamb mount with a good spring hold a 102 whip?

PS I have a 1999 Toyota 4Runner(google some pics of the roof rack)
Suggestions?
Thanks for any help

If it were me I would run a sirio o 5000 on there roof mount I ruin close to this setup and love it but your call in the end

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Get a sirio pl5000 performer and the 145 mag mount and be good to go. They run about 135 dollars from DNJ RADIO. Great antenna, smokes the wilson 5000 and the k40, I had both and now have the sirio, your rx/tx range will benefit so much. Good luck and god bless

Reactions: 1 person
roof mount your 10k or roof mount the sirio 5000 performer.
sure these are longer but will work much better than any 4 ft antenna
only a 9ft whip will be better. [probaly not a whole lot either]

I have been using a CB radio for about 4 years now and am just now getting more serious about the hobby. I ran a k30 then a little wil. Trying to get more serious I got a Predator 10-k with a single 5 inch mag(stupid I know now). Then with a new residence I ran into some height issues switched to a 4 Wilson fgt. I have finally decided to do a hard mount( after many issue of poor performance and magnets flying off). Need some guidance here: should I drill a hole in the center of my roof and run an antenna under 5 feet or do a door jamb mount on the back hatch of my truck. If I do the door jamb mount I would run a 102 whip. Problem I have a roof rack... Will a antenna in the center of my roof under 5 feet preform better than a 102 near a roof rack? Also will a door jamb mount with a good spring hold a 102 whip?

PS I have a 1999 Toyota 4Runner(google some pics of the roof rack)
Suggestions?
Thanks for any help

Of course your best bet is the center of the roof. I have heard of problems with people mounting their antenna to the roof rack where the ground was not good enough. But center of the roof with interference from the roof rack will probably be nill. If you hard mount to the roof, the antenna these guys are suggesting might work really good for you. Not only because it's a strong performer, but because you can also lay the whip down with a twist of a knob. The door jamb mount would probably work well with the 102" whip, but you'll experience some directivity with it. Either way, I'd say you have good choices there. And sticking with your 4' theme, I've had good success with the Wilson Silverload and Firestick 4' antennas, so-so performance with Everhardt and Skipshooter 4 footers. The Sirio is a LONG antenna, so it might not fit your needs even though it has the lay-over feature.

RT307

I am not going to mount the 102 to the roof rack. If you look at some pics I want to put a door jamb mount on the right rear side of the hatch, about 3-4 inches above the tail light. What I was hoping was to bend the 102 forward and secure it somehow when I need to go through the gate.

I am not going to mount the 102 to the roof rack. If you look at some pics I want to put a door jamb mount on the right rear side of the hatch, about 3-4 inches above the tail light. What I was hoping was to bend the 102 forward and secure it somehow when I need to go through the gate.

Gotcha. Personally, I like to mount my antennas on the right side of the vehicle. Makes going through drive thru's easier. I've seen people use those little stick on hooks like you'd use or tv cable or whatever, and you could probably stick one on the roof of your vehicle and secure the 102" whip with it.

RT307

Reactions: 1 person
So a sirio 5000 in the center or a 102 on the back? Would the 102 being closer to the roof rack cause problems?

Thanks for the help and suggestions so far guys.

I am leaning toward the 102 door jamb mount because I don't want to drill a hole directly in the center of my roof. But if there is going to be a big difference with performance or directional issues then I would be okay will the center roof antenna mount.

Gotcha. Personally, I like to mount my antennas on the right side of the vehicle. Makes going through drive thru's easier. I've seen people use those little stick on hooks like you'd use or tv cable or whatever, and you could probably stick one on the roof of your vehicle and secure the 102" whip with it.

RT307

i agree with mounting on the right side of vehicle. when it comes to a 9 ft whip
all others center of roof

I am leaning toward the 102 door jamb mount because I don't want to drill a hole directly in the center of my roof. But if there is going to be a big difference with performance or directional issues then I would be okay will the center roof antenna mount.

The door jamb mount will bend the metal its attached to if you're putting a 102" whip on and bending it significantly.

A Sirio 5000 whip can be tied in a donut and it'll spring back.

A drilled hole will outperform any other method of mounting any day of the week.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think the metal will bend. This a 1999, pretty hard metal especially on the back hatch. Actually in the center of my roof the metal seems weaker. If I push on it with my magnet the metal fluctuates down, seems thin to me. The door jamb mount is technically a hard mount. Are you saying that the sirio will out preform the 102 because of that mount?

The mount is a mechanical device, not an electrical one. So, the mechanical aspects could certainly make a difference in it being where ever you put the thing. Thin metal would affect either of those antenna mounts in about the same way, sort of, both would cause the metal to flex. It's just a fact that a typical 102" whip is going to have more wind resistance than a shorter antenna, and will be a bit more difficult to mount when you keep that mechanical aspect in mind.
A 'lip' mount takes advantage of being small, takes up less room. But they all depend on using the metal of the 'lip'. If it's big enough to withstand the flex etc, then good. If not, then not so good.
That's not 'definitive' by any means but it gives you an idea of 'how much' is good enough.
- 'Doc

The mount is a mechanical device, not an electrical one. So, the mechanical aspects could certainly make a difference in it being where ever you put the thing. Thin metal would affect either of those antenna mounts in about the same way, sort of, both would cause the metal to flex. It's just a fact that a typical 102" whip is going to have more wind resistance than a shorter antenna, and will be a bit more difficult to mount when you keep that mechanical aspect in mind.
A 'lip' mount takes advantage of being small, takes up less room. But they all depend on using the metal of the 'lip'. If it's big enough to withstand the flex etc, then good. If not, then not so good.
That's not 'definitive' by any means but it gives you an idea of 'how much' is good enough.
- 'Doc

Since he mentioned it's going to be mounted near the back hatch of his truck, I'm assuming it's an SUV. I would figure the metal would be built up strong enough for the hinges to support the weight of the hatch, so surely it is strong enough not to flex by a mount and 102" whip. Unless it's a Yugo. :laugh:

RT307

Thank you all for all your suggestions. I am pretty sure that the mount will work fine with a good spring. Just one last question, will the roof rack have an affect on my transmit range? I would think if there where problems with the roof rack it would affect the antenna mounted 1-2 feet ahead of it in the center of the roof??

Thanks again

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.