• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Antenna Install

You would need an antenna analyzer that can measure resonance...
The DB

Actually it measures impedance, showing the R (resistance) value and the X (reactance) value. If you can adjust the antenna system to show zero reactance, you then have a resonant condition at that particular frequency. Change frequency and your antenna system is no longer resonant (but probably good enough for all practical purposes).

Longer equals lower frequencies. As far as resonating on other frequencies could be a reality using an antenna analyzer.

Oh it will resonate on other frequencies for sure but the impedance at resonance could be 3 ohms or maybe 865 ohms or anything not even remotely related to 50 ohms. In fact that is most likely the case. Resonance and a good match have nothing in common.

Oh it will resonate on other frequencies for sure but the impedance at resonance could be 3 ohms or maybe 865 ohms or anything not even remotely related to 50 ohms. In fact that is most likely the case. Resonance and a good match have nothing in common.

I was hoping someone would come along and clarify this. I was thinking about antennas like the Gain Master being run through a wide range of frequencies with an antenna analyzer. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 person
I was hoping someone would come along and clarify this. I was thinking about antennas like the Gain Master being run through a wide range of frequencies with an antenna analyzer. Thanks.

It'll be resonant on the odd harmonics so if it were resonant on 20MHz it would be resonant on 60, 100, 140, 180, 220....

It'll be resonant on the odd harmonics so if it were resonant on 20MHz it would be resonant on 60, 100, 140, 180, 220....

Yeah. That's what I was thinking when I said that. Thanks.

I'll using using my MFJ-207 and my MFJ-346 within a week to do just that on my Antron A99 install. That is scan from about 25-30 MHz on the A99 w/Firestik FS99 top section to see what it's doing

It could also be resonant on the even harmonics just as well. The impedance will be anything but 50 ohms however.Resonance can occur at any radiation impedance as long as the reactance is zero. Also the higher the frequency the greater the deviation from an exact harmonic due to the end effect.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.