• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Ham, Need Help

If you want a easy to put up and use antenna the my antennas EFHW 8010 is great 80-10 meter wire antenna needs almost no tuning and is easily tuned by internal tuners. I talk to BJ and others Ca. to Indy on it with some power and if bands are quiet on 100 watts, at last to Bj anyway. i have talked into Europe and Australia with it. It may not be the best antenna but until you know what bands you want to use it will get you on most, and then go from there. And there is always the option to make your own antenna if you have the time and desire.

http://myantennas.com/wp/product/efhw-8010/

Congratulations on your ticket! And BJradionut nailed it... keep studying and get your General. Unfortunately your timing for DX wasn't the best. Propagation on 10 meters is very low right now, and that's just another reason to get General (to get more bands that are less affected by the solar cycle changes). I like the idea of the 857D and the 450. Price wise, they do a lot for little money. If you go with the 450, you'll want to get something to cover VHF/UHF. Not sure where you are located, but if you have repeaters near you, a Baofeng/Pofung HT is extremely cheap, and will get you on VHF/UHF in a pinch. I think I paid all of 28 bucks for my UV-82, and I can hit my local club repeater from about 5 miles away from inside my house. You can also look around for dual band mobiles like the FT-8800R and run it as a base with a power supply. If you have a local club, a lot of times you can find a used dual bander fairly cheap. Research where the action is in your area, and you might just need a single band rig. 220 is virutally non-existent in my area, but 2 meters and 70cm is pretty busy.

Antenna wise, you can get away with a small antenna for VHF/UHF, and a j-pole is probably the easiest to make. Google it! ;) For HF, if you're on a second (or higher floor), it would be interesting to see if you could put up a wire antenna from your balcony and run it out to the property behind your apartment. If you're tight with the apartment manager/maintenance guy, you might get lucky and be able to mount your antenna on the roof of the apartment.... it never hurts to ask. An end fed half wave or random wire might do the trick for the HF bands, and depending on where you can mount the antenna, could be a flat top, or a sloper. A 10 meter dipole is extremely cheap to make, and will get you on the air quickly for SSB with your current license. Best of luck, and keep on studying!

Brett

I'll add another vote for the FT-450D as a good first HF radio. It is a good balance of size and features at a reasonable price. I personally think the 857D is too small for daily use in a base station configuration, but that is just me. I also prefer a separate VHF/UHF rig.

You may want to investigate how much UHF/VHF activity there is in your area as that may drive your decision regarding how much you want to invest in that realm. In my area there is a good deal of activity but I hear others lament there is very little.

There will be a bazzillion suggestions for various items and not knowing what your budget and geographical/space environment it is hard to suggest antenna options. How much space do you have? Any trees? City, suburbs or country living?

Basic Shopping List
Radio(s)
Power Supply (you will find 90% on this forum will suggest a Megawatt)
Antenna(s) and Coax (or other connecting wire)
SWR/Power Meter (optional but recommended) and related patch cables.

First off congrats on your ticket!!! And like said, at least go for the General while things are fresh in your mind. As far as radios go the options are endless as your wallet is!! The Icom 7000, Kenwood 480sat/HX, Yaseu ft857, or many other radios for that matter, pick your flavor and go with it!! What it ends up with is all matter of opinion. Get what YOU like. Take your time and look around. There is also the option of getting something like the Icom 7300, and then get a separate VHF/UHF radio. But it all boils down to how much you want to spend. After the radio remember you have to have a good antenna or antennas, to support all this as well. I am no expert, but at least know it's not as easy as some would have you think. Takes time if you truly want to do things correctly. Setting up a base station that is. But like I said. I am far from an expert and darn sure am not claiming to be at all!! 99.9% of these guys know way way more than I do. But at least I do know that it is not as simple as some make it out to be when setting up a good base station. JMHO's.
73 and God Bless.

The problem is - he doesn't know ANYTHING about transceivers, or anything that you are talking about. There is nothing wrong with that, nor is there anything wrong with asking for help! I myself resent the fact that I wasted so much money on FM only - VHF / UHF equipment - that is mostly useless in my area. For me - if you want to work anything more than local on VHF / UHF, or operate contests - it is a must to have equipment that can be operated Single Side Band.
The Kenwood TS 480 is actually 3 different models. A 100 watt model, a 200 watt model and a model with built in antenna tuner unit - ATU. There is only so much room inside of the box, and so you must choose which is best for you.
My opinion is - why stop at General?
Once you get on a roll, keep going until you have your amateur extra.
I can list a dozen reasons for not stopping.

Everything from the desire to give back to amateur radio - becoming a VE.

Using your license, being a trustee of a club call sign, the privileges of the club call sign is regulated by the class of the license holder of the trustee.

Not having to worry about operating in a portion of the band plan appropriated for Advanced and Amateur Extra class license holders..

Sometimes rare DX operates in the Amateur Extra Portion of the band plan, just due to the fact that it is quieter there. Not as many morons as the General Class License bands.

Since there isn't any skills required to be a ham anymore, unless mastering digital modes - which is nothing more then learning how to interface your transceiver with a computer sound card. Getting an Amateur Extra Class License is only way to advance the art of amateur radio - without having to build anything or buy anything.

There is only so much to be learned by building a J Pole antenna or talking on satellites. Moonbounce is cost prohibitive and probably out of reach of 90% of everyone licensed just due to the size of the antenna needed and the amount of land needed to operate those antennas.

Most people would love to have a 40 or even a 20 meter beam antenna.
But most people will not invest the money to dig the hole, put up the tower, buy a decent rotor and antenna - even if their locality allows them to do so!

Thank you all so much for your replies, they have been enormously helpful! I do intent on getting the General, just ordered the ARRL study book for that license and it should be here Tuesday. But because of my location there is no testing sessions for at least another month. It seems that what might be best for me is to go with two separate rigs. I like the 450 very much, and have also heard the ICOM 718 and the Kenwood TS480 thrown into the mix. I have several votes here for the 450, so that may be the one unless you guys think otherwise. I will be sure to compare the specs as best I can. Can anyone make a recommendation for VHF/UHF rigs? I'm sure the equipment for these radios are likely cheaper than HF rigs.

Reactions: Soup-man
tba- thanks for the list! As i'm typing this now I'm looking out my window and there are several trees between 15-25 feet. Closest tree is the shortest but because of the way it is situated, the tree itself is about 30 feet off the ground. I suppose cable can be ran from inside here to there, but perhaps not permanently as I'm not sure I can cleanly rig it up. I will be asking the landlord about any space available on the roof. Again thanks everyone for the help. There isn't much around here in the way of ham community.

well one of the posters was absolutely correct... each and every ham has his own idea of what is good and what is not.
There are obviously hams in your area, somebody gave you the test.
Get with the hams in your area to help you in selecting a good second had rig and helping you select an antenna that will work in your QTH.
If you get 10 hams together you are going to have at least 11 opinions....your budget and the used market in your area are going to determine what radio you wind up with...find you an elmer and take advantage of the help he offers...
I have several older rigs I keep around for just this type of thing...when I elmer someone and trust them, I loan them a radio to get the feel of things...you never know what kind of help you might get until you get out there and look for it.

well one of the posters was absolutely correct... each and every ham has his own idea of what is good and what is not.
There are obviously hams in your area, somebody gave you the test.
Get with the hams in your area to help you in selecting a good second had rig and helping you select an antenna that will work in your QTH.
If you get 10 hams together you are going to have at least 11 opinions....your budget and the used market in your area are going to determine what radio you wind up with...find you an elmer and take advantage of the help he offers...
I have several older rigs I keep around for just this type of thing...when I elmer someone and trust them, I loan them a radio to get the feel of things...you never know what kind of help you might get until you get out there and look for it.

Yeah perhaps I should try to contact someone more locally over the net or phone. Travelling isn't really a viable option, when I took the test I had to go inside another county to find the nearest one. I'm certain there are hams in the area, I just haven't found any in an official capacity such as a club or someone to be my elmer. That's one of the reasons I thought to create an account here, because I thought who better to ask then the people doing what I want to do? I really appreciate you taking the time to respond here!

You are starting out, you DON'T need to spend a lot. Your effort should be on the antenna and not the radio. Look at the used market and get something that is in your price range. I personally don't like the do all rigs like the Ts-2000 that has been mentioned. My thought is if one side of it dies your out of luck on the rest. Look at older rigs as well like the Yaesu Ft-847 and like. There is little need for SSB on 2m or 70cm as that is a waste of money. Get your General ticket, go to Home Depot and buy some wire and build a dipole and have at it. You will learn more by getting on the air and listening. The main thing is get on the air.

You can truly work the world on 100 watts and some wire strung in the trees.

Did I somehow offend you Soupman?? Everything in the post I wrote is basically the same as you. Might want to cool your jets a bit man. I have not hatred toward anyone, All I was doing was simply pointing out facts.
Maybe you need to get yours together a bit before coming at people like you did. The kenwood 480 comes in models, the 480sat and the 480hx, which has no antenna tuner built in and is a 200 watt radio. The 480sat is the 100w radio with the built in antenna tuner. Ask me how I know, my local pal owns one. And I know of several others that own the HX model. It doesn't come with the antenna tuner. Or ATU, as you call it. And it's a 200 watt radio. Yes you are right you can only stuff so much in a case that case though. Just thought I would point out your errors as you seemed to have tried to chew into my arse some. For what idk. Maybe you don't like a certain radio I mentioned? About like every other person might say as well. That is why it's called your opinion. At any rate. If I am reading the post incorrectly, my bad and many apologies. But I am pretty sure what you were up to. Go troll that stink bait somewhere else!!!!

Reactions: Road Squawker

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.