• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Ham, Need Help

I do intent on getting the General, just ordered the ARRL study book for that license and it should be here Tuesday.
Excellent WD: I think your on the right track Young Jedi:LOL:
Now as to adding a second rig...settle in a little with your one HF rig and get it going, you can add an inexpensive Handheld for 2 meters and 440 band( better known as a Dual-Band HT) for like $50 or less nowadays. These will give you the ability to check in your area for local activity and go from there to see where your interest may fall, plus give you a window to other near by hams.
While you await your study material for General...here's some additional material you can look at in regards to the most important part of your station.
Antennas....Antennas...
http://www.hamuniverse.com/10metertechniciandipole.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Build-Several-Easy-Antennas-for-Amateur-Radio

Ask All the questions you wish Young Jedi:ROFLMAO:
Many here to help
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

Time to get back on track and Soup-man you definitely need to chill out and respect others. Different people have different ideas and that is fine but when people start getting called morons, and statements are made regarding what someone should do or not do it goes downhill fast. The ONLY person that can decide what level of ticket they want and what they want out of amateur radio is the individual himself. Berating one license class in an effort to make your own license class look better is the wrong way to go. Remember it is not the class of license the operator holds but rather the class of operator that holds the license that determines the quality of that operator. If anyone has a problem with this I can happily hand out warning notices or temporary suspensions or even permanent suspensions if you want.

Reactions: w9cll and 222DBFL
Hi all! As always thank you very much for the replies you've all be very helpful. I am thinking the 450 is sounding about right. At first glance the antenna projects seem pretty intense, but I suppose with some patience and hands on time it will soften up! I hope it wouldn't be too much to ask which key accessories/compliments would be needed for this rig to operate. If I am need to clarify anything so far just let me know please, I may not have the best handle on everything yet!

One thing I would like to say and cannot understate is to PLEASE actually study and LEARN the information required to obtain a ticket and please do not simply memorize the answers to some published questions. You will NEVER learn anything doing that. If you l;earn the basics then you can expand on that but if you simply memorize answers without understanding WHY the answer is what it is then you will never understand things and will become part of the problem rather than the solution.

Reactions: 222DBFL
One thing I would like to say and cannot understate is to PLEASE actually study and LEARN the information required to obtain a ticket and please do not simply memorize the answers to some published questions. You will NEVER learn anything doing that. If you l;earn the basics then you can expand on that but if you simply memorize answers without understanding WHY the answer is what it is then you will never understand things and will become part of the problem rather than the solution.

Agreed! I for one have trouble truly understanding the materials discussed unless I actually try to learn the meaning and applications behind them. I have a lot to learn for sure.

Time to get back on track and Soup-man you definitely need to chill out and respect others. Different people have different ideas and that is fine but when people start getting called morons, and statements are made regarding what someone should do or not do it goes downhill fast. The ONLY person that can decide what level of ticket they want and what they want out of amateur radio is the individual himself. Berating one license class in an effort to make your own license class look better is the wrong way to go. Remember it is not the class of license the operator holds but rather the class of operator that holds the license that determines the quality of that operator. If anyone has a problem with this I can happily hand out warning notices or temporary suspensions or even permanent suspensions if you want.
I think you need to go back to grade school and take a reading appreciation class. In no way did I point a finger towards anyone, all I said was that the DX crowd likes to operate in the Amateur Extra Class section of the band plan - so they can get as far away from the morons as they can. No one here seems to know how to read else they would have read what I wrote in the proper context. If you are ONLY a General and I offended you - then I guess that is why your feelings were hurt. As far as double quoting - the guy that claimed I stole his idea - didn't even know what an ATU was. Geesh, and one of his buddies actually owns one. Go figure!

Man really pump the brakes man! You think you know it all, but have no idea!! I'll leave it at that. And like I said before, take that stink bait and troll it somewhere else.

I think you need to go back to grade school and take a reading appreciation class.

No apparently it is YOU that needs to go back to grade school and learn to READ and while you are at it learn some manners too. Take a few off days to think about it. It's on the house. See ya next Tuesday.
Man what is it with people that jump on an admin after they are given a little warning about their behaviour? Soup-man has a few days to cool off.

Good morning all! Looks like today is the day I'll be purchasing the 450 hopefully. Can anyone help me with what other essential things I'll need to get myself started? If it's too much to explain I understand and will continue to research myself. Thanks everyone for your kindness and help!

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Good morning all! Looks like today is the day I'll be purchasing the 450 hopefully. Can anyone help me with what other essential things I'll need to get myself started? If it's too much to explain I understand and will continue to research myself. Thanks everyone for your kindness and help!
What's on your list so far?

Thanks for your reply, sorry I'm at work so may be a little slow to respond. Thanks to another member here I know I will need a power supply, an Antenna, coax obvs, he also suggest an SWR/power meter and patch cables. Doesn't seem too bad but I'm just not sure where exactly to start. When I get home today I want to be sure I am capable of making the antenna and have the room to put it somewhere. Would be a bad time if i bought the radio and had no where to put an antenna! Haha. As always thanks everyone:)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.