• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New thread to debate V-4000

No sense making a j-pole when a slim-jim is much better.

Slim Jim vs J-Pole Antennas | KB9VBR J-Pole Antennas

Build the Slim JIM Antenna A Uni

The manufacturers say the Sigma IV is a j-pole.

Sirio NEW Vector 4000 3/4 Wave Co-Axial J-Pole 27-28.5Mhz Base Antenna - Nevada Radio (Type: 3/4 wave coaxial J-pole)

CB 27 MHz Base Antenna, NEW VECTOR 4000

(3/4 λ coaxial J-pole)

I don't know how you managed to come up with a site that claims the standard J-pole comes in at 2.5 db over a 1/2 wave dipole when it has unity gain because it's a half wave radiator. That makes his gain measurements on the Slim Jim just as easy to ignore. At the very least this ham has confused dbi with dbd. At the very worst, he has no idea what he talks about just like you. Please model the J-pole in free space using any program showing 2.5 dbd.

Notice you will never find any reputable site that calls the Vector a J-Pole. They were very careful to disclose an extreme difference by placing the word coaxial in front of it. Sirio also reports the gain at 2 dbd while you ignore that to locate the info you can twist to suit your desires. Limestone and Sandstone are rocks just like diamonds are. Your logic allows you to pass over the diamonds without a second look and pick up a pocket full of lime and sandstones in complete satisfaction.

Last edited:
Knowing that nothing NoSee has said makes a bit of sense, I pay little attention to his pictures. I do wonder if anyone has any idea what the heck this ball he hangs under his antennas attached by 7 strings has to do with anything? Looks like none of the models I've seen and appears to add no valuable information to the debate. Sort of what we've grown to expect from him now.

Going back to when he first used it it appears he is attempting to draw a hot air balloon with a basket suspended below it. Invert the last image so the ball in on top and it will become apparent. The first time he used it he was talking about antennas being suspended from a balloon so that is what I take it to be. You know the more I read what this guy posts the more I realize how the Brits managed to pull off moving an invasion force almost 8000 miles to reclaim a little group of islands located a mere 400 miles from the invaders homeland back in 1982. :whistle:

Donald do you have any idea what the angle is for Siro's New Vector 4000 for their free space gain of 4.15 dbi reported in their specs?

SIRIO VECTOR 4000 SIGMA IV PHASES AND COURRENTS

I don't know how you managed to come up with a site that claims the standard J-pole comes in at 2.5 db over a 1/2 wave dipole when it has unity gain because it's a half wave radiator. That makes his gain measurements on the Slim Jim just as easy to ignore. At the very least this ham has confused dbi with dbd. At the very worst, he has no idea what he talks about just like you. Please model the J-pole in free space using any program showing 2.5 dbd.

Notice you will never find any reputable site that calls the Vector a J-Pole. They were very careful to disclose an extreme difference by placing the word coaxial in front of it. Sirio also reports the gain at 2 dbd while you ignore that to locate the info you can twist to suit your desires. Limestone and Sandstone are rocks just like diamonds are. Your logic allows you to pass over the diamonds without a second look and pick up a pocket full of lime and sandstones in complete satisfaction.

You supposed more than me, since j-pole is really half wave with adapter 1/4 wavelength, like the SIRIO IV. The data sheets say that the antenna is a j-pole.

4NEC2 also has a drawing explaining what you believe, is called CURRENT IMAGINARY. That is first shown. - CURRENT IMAGINARY-

4NEC2 also has a drawing showing actual currents and phases.

Attachments

• imaginaria-1.jpg
    imaginaria-1.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 8
  • imaginaria-2.jpg
    imaginaria-2.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 8
I found what he thinks supports his high angle gain claim. It is the mistake of modeling this antenna over a theoretical "perfect" ground plane. That is a mistake that he was informed about already (in the astroplane thread). I refuse to post such a model here as he will likely dismiss all other models and take it as proof he is correct... I have been unable to duplicate the strong 30 degree lobe using any "real" ground options that I have tried in the 4NEC2 software...

The DB

DB, if you will show us your Vector model in free space. I think you are reporting what you see in your model over real Earth and nosepc might be talking about an angle using a free space model. That should show us the higher maximum RF angle nosepc is reporting he sees. My free space model of my Vector doesn't show as much angle as he is suggesting, and your model may not either, but I see this higher maximum angle, using Eznec FS feature for all of my antennas that are NOT well balanced...as with center fed antennas.

This is why I asked Donald if he can tell us the angle reported by Sirio in their NV4 specs.

DB, can you also describe to me what steps you take to make a FS model in 4nec2? Example: if your model has a mast...do you have to remove it in order to get a good FS pattern? With Eznec, I also have to remove any material resistance losses I used too.

Can you also tell me if 4nec2 also reports model accuracy with its free space models like Eznec's Average Gain test does?

If not, how do you know that the feed point is located correctly for an antenna that is going to show you a mismatch without a matching device?

In the model you posted earlier, where you changed the wire connections and got phase differences in your output, could you describe those connections by wire and end number for the radials that you changed vs the way 4nec2 made the connections originally using its default radial creation feature?

When you made the changes in connections did you do that manually or does 4nec2 provided tools that will handle such changes?

Hope that's cool enough because I'm just getting power on again after tornado.
Originally Posted by The DB
as I raised the radials from a horizontal to an upward pointing position
the bottom segments are at a highly acute angle with the main element connection. This causes a quick change in average gain.
21 dB gain from a Vector? Wow, I wish it were true.
I'd bet that the average gain being off is the reason for this also.
Run an average gain test ( little check box before you hit generate).
The patterns will reflect a perfect ground but you are just looking for the AGT value.
I altered my model to alleviate that problem by adding little (short) wires horizontal at the attachment points of the radials.

I'll post an example/update soon.

Can you post an example of the discrepancy you found?

I don't yet buy that nec is unable to model this antenna.

nosepc any point you may actually have is lost by your trickery.
Even starting with a model that has a down-tilt when in free space and putting it right on the ground you cant get a lobe anywhere near 30 degrees on any ground.
You did manage to paint the worst possible light (as you have when you dissected the animated gif from CST)
The very fact that your own model shows a down-tilt in free space should prove to you that the basket[radials are in phase with the main radiator or you would get a pattern that is distorted up wards as you find in a 5/8ths ground plane.

And I have a model that shows gain higher than a dipole in free space.
I brush it up and post it for you.
If I get more gain than a dipole in free space where did the extra gain come from?

No offense intended but I am but I'm skeptical of models I can't run and see for my self.
And I can't justify the cost of CST so...

Those who know modeling, if you make improvements, please publish as well as I do. We are to provide.

Take a couple of models, one without and one with mast

Attachments

• SIGMA 4.jpg
    SIGMA 4.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 3
  • SIGMA 4 -1.jpg
    SIGMA 4 -1.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 3
  • sigma-iv-tierra-11.zip
    294 bytes · Views: 3
Last edited:
DB, if you will show us your Vector model in free space. I think you are reporting what you see in your model over real Earth and nosepc might be talking about an angle using a free space model. That should show us the higher maximum RF angle nosepc is reporting he sees. My free space model of my Vector doesn't show as much angle as he is suggesting, and your model may not either, but I see this higher maximum angle, using Eznec FS feature for all of my antennas that are NOT well balanced...as with center fed antennas.

I was using real, nosepc was using perfect earth. Our antennas are also at different heights, different radial angles, and his has a loop while mine simply has upward pointing radials. That being said I'm happy to show you my vector model in free space...

vector1freespace.jpg

DB, can you also describe to me what steps you take to make a FS model in 4nec2? Example: if your model has a mast...do you have to remove it in order to get a good FS pattern? With Eznec, I also have to remove any material resistance losses I used too.

As the model didn't have a mast in this case to begin with I simply changed the ground from real to freespace... I know I should factor said mast/coax into the model, however, this time I didn't. I was trying to get specific results in what is akin to a lab environment before I attempted to simulate part of the real world as well...

Can you also tell me if 4nec2 also reports model accuracy with its free space models like Eznec's Average Gain test does?

If not, how do you know that the feed point is located correctly for an antenna that is going to show you a mismatch without a matching device?

Model accuracy??? Not come across anything with that specific name. Perhaps it is called something else in 4nec2?

As far as the feedpoint is concerned I'm putting mine at the base of the 3/4 wavelength vertical, although it should be higher, and have a capacitive load to simulate the gamma match. Perhaps a split feed as you mentioned in another thread (I think it was you). I have yet to try and match an unmatched antenna with modeling, and am unfamiliar with its effects onthe models themselves aside from some basic information.

In the model you posted earlier, where you changed the wire connections and got phase differences in your output, could you describe those connections by wire and end number for the radials that you changed vs the way 4nec2 made the connections originally using its default radial creation feature?

I actually made the radials by hand in all of my vector models. Some simple math and I can get very close to pretty much any angle I want and any length I want. That being said, I have played with 4nc2's cylinder tool, that is the tool that will create an angled set of radials for 4nec2, and have been able to create this type of angles radial setup with coordinates "both directions".

The way I manually made the radials to show the radials as being in phase with the upper 1/2 wavelength of the vertical 3/4 wavelength element is as is shown below... Namely the XYZ1 is at the base of the 3/4 wavelength vertical element and XYZ2 are the tips of the various radials.

Type Tag Segs X1 Y1 Z1 X2 Y2 Z2 Radius
Wire 1 24 0 0 5.5 0 0 13.75 .0001
Wire 3 8 0 0 5.5 .87 0 8.109 .0001
Wire 4 8 0 0 5.5 -.87 0 8.109 .0001
Wire 5 8 0 0 5.5 0 .87 8.109 .0001
Wire 6 8 0 0 5.5 0 -.87 8.109 .0001

XYZ are in meters, Radius is in millimeters. I used such a tiny radius because 4nec2 seemed to have trouble with the angles used even at 1/10 of a millimeter...

When you made the changes in connections did you do that manually or does 4nec2 provided tools that will handle such changes?

Manually.

Just a note, math has always come easy for me, so it really isn't difficult for me to calculate points and line lengths on a three dimensional grid. I like to do as much of this manually as I can, it helps me stay sharp with these types of equations, and if I make a mistake I can troubleshoot my own process and correct it rather than depending on someone else's tool. I have played with the different geometry tools that came with 4nec2, however, unless I'm looking for something that is to complex to make myself I doubt I'll use them.

The DB

This is why I asked Donald if he can tell us the angle reported by Sirio in their NV4 specs.

I can tell you that this antenna will have a free space lobe that peaks between -2 and a maximum of +3 degrees when both elements are driven in the exact same phase as shown in the CST current distribution. Because there are actually two separate elements contributing to the pattern, the possibility of some electronic beam tilt exists by manipulating the lengths of these elements.

An advantage I believe the CST model has over looked being it was built to reflect a design were both elements are in perfect phase alignment. That also explains why the antenna built longer than 3/4 wavelength can produce more gain on the distant horizon. This aspect did not increase the gain. It just placed existing gain on the horizon and suggests beam tilt is possible because it is a non apparent collinear.

guys.....

The manual:
(think that is said before :)

4nec2 HELP/MANUAL:
..its the thing thats says "help" in the left top corner.

in order to find out the average gain you press F7 next step: "mark" far field pattern.
next step" mark AGT.

Now, before you get "crazy" outputs..first read the manual.
cause you need to know what the AGT figure is.
You will need to know in which situation you can calculate the AGT.

Sometimes i wonder why that "figure" isnt provided with the "plots" on screen.
The AGT is of vital use.
Without that data all provided modelling effort can be ignored.

Kind regards,

Henry

the bottom segments are at a highly acute angle with the main element connection. This causes a quick change in average gain.

I noticed that. While the most recent crop of models I've used use such a high angle not all of the models of the vector I've played with have been that way. I've had some that use a one segment long horizontal before the upward angled radials. I'll likely stick with that design in the future as it more accurately follows the actual antenna. I got around the segment warnings from that sharp angle by using a very thin wire. .0001 millimeter in diameter for the modeling. I know it isn't realistic, but even .1 milllimeter wire was giving me issues. Using a horizontal segment between the upward pointing radial and the base of the antenna I think will resolve that.

I'd bet that the average gain being off is the reason for this also.
Run an average gain test ( little check box before you hit generate).
The patterns will reflect a perfect ground but you are just looking for the AGT value.
I altered my model to alleviate that problem by adding little (short) wires horizontal at the attachment points of the radials.

Ahh so it is there. I'm used to just clicking right through that screen. When I get a chance to run the software again I'll take a look.

I'll post an example/update soon.

Can you post an example of the discrepancy you found?

Most everything I've found with playing with this antenna in 4nec2 has been posted in this thread.

I don't yet buy that nec is unable to model this antenna.

I do not claim to be qualified enough to answer this...

---
I have downloaded the free an-soft100 modeling program. They use a modified version of nec2 for their engine (or so they claim) that resolves some things, such as the acute angle issue you mentioned above. I have yet to be able to get working identical models to function as expected in both software programs. When I get some time I'll have to look at them some more, and perhaps post up some differences. From what I can tell the an-soft100 software seems to consistently have a slightly higher gain figure than the 4nec2 software so far, but that is definately not a scientific test as of yet as the only models I put through it thus far are vector models. I have also not yet figured out how the three variable earth system matches up with 4nec2's two variable system to make equivalents... This will require more playing...

Hmm the tabbed values in my last post showed as tabbed in the preview, but in the actual post the tab information seems to have been lost... :( I'll have to remember to use code tags for that information in the future...

The DB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.