• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbie question: License in the US

Almo81

Feb 8, 2008
Hello all,

I work for a European software company that deals in remote controlling radios.

I want to setup a permanent integration and demonstration system in our office in the US - and intend to purchase radios (both Tranceivers and receivers)for this purpose. Note that these radios will be used for demo purposes only (Low power mode, very few transmissions).

My question is: Do I need a license to purchase and operate these radios? If so, how do I apply for one? The US office is a registered US company.

Thanks, and my apologies if this issue has come up before in the forum.

If you are speaking of an Amateur Radio you do not need a license to purchase it. If you are going to demonstrate by causing the radio to transmit on an Amateur frequency then a license will be required by the person transmitting on the radio.

Last edited:
It might help if we knew what frequencies this transmitting would occur on, and which specific radios you're considering. If it's not within an amateur band, no amateur license would be necessary - but you might need a license for some other service.

If you don't transmit; just radiate into a dummy load - no license necessary. You would want a licensed person to verify that no RF is coming out of the dummy load and cables.

Thanks for the responses.

I WOULD want to transmit, but only for a short distance (a few yards, no more - just across the room to show that it works)- this is why Low power is sufficient.

Frequency is not important: Our software allows tranmission/reception and changinf frequencies from a remote PC, therefore ANY frequency in VHF or UHF would do, since the demo is about the software, not the radio.

If I knew that in freq. X, no License is required, I'd simply make sure all my Radios transmit/Receive on that frequency and that would be fine.

If I do need a license, then I'd like to know how to apply for one.

There are several radio services in the United States that do not require a License, however radios must met certian requirments set forth by the FCC, The Federal Communications Commision.

The best thing to do is to contact them, and explain what you are planning to do, and ask for advice on how to proceed.

Here is some contact info for the FCC:

clear.gif

FCC Rules
clear.gif

clear.gif

Field Offices
clear.gif

General Information
clear.gif

Northeast Region
clear.gif

South Central Region
clear.gif

Western Region

clear.gif

FCC Laboratory
clear.gif

7435 Oakland Mills Rd.
Columbia, MD 21046
clear.gif

Phone: 301-362-3000
Fax: 301-362-3290
clear.gif

Additional Information...

clear.gif

clear.gif

How to Contact the FCC

To Contact the Commissioners via E-mail Chairman Kevin J. Martin: KJMWEB@fcc.gov
Commissioner Michael J. Copps: Michael.Copps@fcc.gov
Commissioner Jonathan S. Adelstein: Jonathan.Adelstein@fcc.gov
Commissioner Deborah Taylor Tate: dtaylortateweb@fcc.gov
Commissioner Robert McDowell: Robert.McDowell@fcc.gov

To Obtain Information via E-mail General information, inquiries & complaints: fccinfo@fcc.gov
Freedom of Information Act requests: FOIA@fcc.gov
Comments on FCC Internet services: webmaster@fcc.gov
Elections & political candidate matters: campaignlaw@fcc.gov

To Obtain Information via Telephone 1-888-225-5322 (1-888-CALL FCC) Voice: toll-free
1-888-835-5322 (1-888-TELL FCC) TTY: toll-free
1-866-418-0232 FAX: toll-free
(202) 418-2830 FAX on Demand
(202) 418-1440 Elections & political candidate matters
FCC Phone Directory

Hand-delivered or messenger-delivered paper filings for the Commission's Secretary:
Secretary
Federal Communications Commission
Office of the Secretary
c/o Natek, Inc.
236 Massachusetts Avenue, NE
Suite 110
Washington, DC 20002
(8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.)
Other Messenger-Delivered Documents,
Including Documents Sent by Overnight Mail
(other than United States Postal Service Express Mail and Priority Mail):
Secretary
Federal Communications Commission
Office of the Secretary
9300 East Hampton Drive
Capitol Heights, MD 20743
(8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.)

Internet Address http://www.fcc.gov

Phone: 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322)TTY: 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322)Fax: 1-866-418-0232E-mail: fccinfo@fcc.gov- Privacy Policy

Jeff

I agree, contacting the FCC is the thing to do. As stated there are a number of different radio services in the USA. Each has their own rules or requirements. Most licenses are not ~that~ difficult to earn or buy, and having the required license is only smart.

About using a dummy load with amateur radio, it still requires you to have that license. Doesn't matter what you transmit into, it's still transmitting, right?
- 'Doc

About using a dummy load with amateur radio, it still requires you to have that license. Doesn't matter what you transmit into, it's still transmitting, right?

I have talked close to a mile on a dummy load.
It was a little bit more than QRP.

Jeff

I have talked close to a mile on a dummy load.
It was a little bit more than QRP.

Jeff

Forgive the Newbie question : When we're talking about a dummy load, are we talking about some sort of a large Resistor to bring down the tranmitter output? Where do you mount it, On the antenna?

Come to think of it: can I simply use an insulated wire with a small resistor, to directly connect antennas of two radios: Technically speaking, I'm no longer tranmitting: Nothing is going out to air.

Almo81,
A 'dummy' load is commonly thought of as a 'hole' to throw RF into without it radiating, not a 'real-live' antenna. In most cases, that's almost true, sort of. The amount of radiated power is usually very much less than 'normal'. The bad part is that there is some radiation still present. The size of that 'resistor' depends on how much power is outputted from the transmitter. In general, it's going to be sort of large, and with more than 100 watts, really large. It's usually put in-place-of an antenna. Another example is a light bulb, but it still radiates, bummer.

You are right, if you 'hard-wire' a connection between transmitter and receiver it pobably isn't gonna radiate. But in that case, a radio wouldn't be needed at all would it? There goes your demo of a radio controlled system. :(

Another option is to use what's called a 'Part-15' device. Very low power, particular frequency usage, no operator's license required. BUT, the transmitter must be licensed (approved) by the FCC... Rats! Another thingy to worry about, right? Well, sort of, cuz if you marketed your company's devices in the USA they would still have to be 'approved', or 'type accepted', by the FCC. It does mean that the operator of the device wouldn't need to get a license (maybe, depends on several things), just the device. As far as I'm aware (that's a joke, huh?), your devices would have to go through that in any country, not just the USA.

I'm not sure exactly what your 'device' is, but you might take a look at a few made by 'Futaba', 'Hi-tec', 'Airtronics', 'Spektrum', to name a few. They 'do' radio control stuff too.
Good luck!
- 'Doc

Almo81, were are you located at now?
Yes A dummy load, is a resistor that will dissapate most of the rf that is being transmited as heat, but it will still put a signal on the air, even if it is a small one.
It is a Non inductive resistor, there are many commercial dummy loads that can be bought over the internet.
The best thing to do is to contact the FCC, this will keep you from having any problems here in the U.S.
They might tell you that it is OK to use a Dummy load, but that will be up to them, they are the rule maker in the United States.
Better to find out ahead of time, than face a fine.

Jeff

Thanks for the info. I should explain: My equipment is server-Based software that allows you to control THE radios (not use the radios to control other stuff). As such, a "wired" demo is a very useful solution: so is a dummy load.

I do need, however, to connect as many radios as possible - from as many manufacturers as possible - to prove that I can do it (each radio is different, as I'm sure people in this forum are aware of more than me).

Almo81,
A 'dummy' load is commonly thought of as a 'hole' to throw RF into without it radiating, not a 'real-live' antenna. In most cases, that's almost true, sort of. The amount of radiated power is usually very much less than 'normal'. The bad part is that there is some radiation still present. The size of that 'resistor' depends on how much power is outputted from the transmitter. In general, it's going to be sort of large, and with more than 100 watts, really large. It's usually put in-place-of an antenna. Another example is a light bulb, but it still radiates, bummer.

You are right, if you 'hard-wire' a connection between transmitter and receiver it pobably isn't gonna radiate. But in that case, a radio wouldn't be needed at all would it? There goes your demo of a radio controlled system. :(

Another option is to use what's called a 'Part-15' device. Very low power, particular frequency usage, no operator's license required. BUT, the transmitter must be licensed (approved) by the FCC... Rats! Another thingy to worry about, right? Well, sort of, cuz if you marketed your company's devices in the USA they would still have to be 'approved', or 'type accepted', by the FCC. It does mean that the operator of the device wouldn't need to get a license (maybe, depends on several things), just the device. As far as I'm aware (that's a joke, huh?), your devices would have to go through that in any country, not just the USA.

I'm not sure exactly what your 'device' is, but you might take a look at a few made by 'Futaba', 'Hi-tec', 'Airtronics', 'Spektrum', to name a few. They 'do' radio control stuff too.
Good luck!
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.