• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NMO install location, where for best performance!

211inthamag

Jan 12, 2008
Natchez, Ms
Ok so im still debating on the location of this NMO mount...where is the BEST location to put this dual band larsen 2m/70b antenna? I will be using a lmr240 coax or the supplied larsen rg58 kit...still debating since I have both and should be a short run since the radio will be installed under the back seat and head unit in the front! Here are a couple of pictures of the inside and outside roof line, my only issue is I have a sun roof and a dvd entertainment system there! What you guys think?

Attachments

• 20131102_174548-1-1.jpg
    20131102_174548-1-1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 189
  • 20131102_174504-1-1.jpg
    20131102_174504-1-1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 195

I'd keep it away from the sunroof . I was the service coordinator for a commercial two way company and have had to fix problems caused by rf getting in through the sunroof move it to the centre of the back section.

Yeah thats why I asked this question...if there was no sun room I would mount it center no problem but since there is a sun roof ixwas unsure if getting it somewhat close to it would cause a problem with the antenna or sun roof...im afraid if I move it toxthe backside of the roof that it will make my signal more directional and I was trying to get away from that happening as much as possible

Put the mount where ever you can manage and be practical. At one 'end' of the vehicle or the other will result in a -slight- bit of directionality, but it probably won't even be noticeable. NOT getting into the wiring etc, up there is the biggy, being directional isn't.
- 'Doc

Are there air-bags in the roof?

I have a sunroof as well. I dropped my headliner and drilled the hole just aft of a brace where the sunroof retracts. Had I just measured and drilled from the outside I would have almost assuredly hit that cross brace inside the roof.

Reactions: 1 person
No air bags in roof that im aware of! Ill probably have to get it close to where the hump begins for the sun roof when it slires all the way back that way it doesnt get in the way or in sight of the glass while opening! So it will probably be about 12 inch from the roof light

No air bags in roof that im aware of! Ill probably have to get it close to where the hump begins for the sun roof when it slires all the way back that way it doesnt get in the way or in sight of the glass while opening! So it will probably be about 12 inch from the roof light

That's good ! can you drop the roof light and check from there ?. I'm not familiar with American models, but here a lot of installs are done through the dome light(roof light) rather than dropping the roof lining.

Did a NMO install today and well everything turned out very well! Used rg58 coax and had to cut 5 foot off because im installing my dual bander under the back seat (now I have 12 foot not 17 that comes with larsen NMOk coax ) also the antenna is already tuned from the factory so there is no cutting required ..i also mounted it as far up as i could ao it would not get in the way of the sun roof as it slides back all the way! I took some pictures and ill let them speak for themself. (sorry I couldn't get a 70cm reading..i only have a 259B analyzer)

Attachments

• 20131104_140048-1.jpg
    20131104_140048-1.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 168
  • 20131104_140142-1.jpg
    20131104_140142-1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
You're braver, or luckier, than I am. I have a 2012 Tundra Crew Max with the retractable moon roof and am having a hard time looking for a spot to mount a couple antennas. I would like the dual band VHF/UHF antenna on the roof but with the retractable roof, which is quite large, I am afraid I would end up with the mount being in the way of it retracting unless it was only a few inches from the rear edge of the roof. A roof mounted console in front of the roof precludes mounting it forward of the moon roof.I have a couple places I occasionally go that would require the antenna be removed anyway as I only have a couple inches of clearance anyway. Looks like some home made stainless steel brackets made up for the tailgate latch mounting bolts.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.