• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Offroading radios

sorry. LOL
i couldnt help myself!

in all seriousness, CB's are probably not a good idea for your application.

the sunspot cycle is on the upswing, and over the next couple of years, the CB channels are going to get very noisy because of signals bouncing off the ionosphere.
this will restrict the usable range of the radios.

you need something in the VHF range with a good antenna.

the only things i can think of that will work for sure would be the 40 or 50 watt radios that operated in the 150-174mhz region, and those are as illegal as hell to use without a license.
you might end up talking to the chief of police!

i only bring that up as an example of what type of thing would work.

now, if you could somehow get a license to use a certain freq or group of freqs in your area, these would be your ticket:
Motorola Radius M1225 VHF 4 CH / 40 Watt Mobile Radio

best of luck to ya,
LC

seems to me that MURS is the way to go for sure.

take a look at Green Teg's post and the link to the MURS page.

program those 5 freqs into a scanner and monitor them for a week or so to find out if anyone in your area is already using them for business. (see the wiki page for details on this)

you should also check out this thread about MURS base antennas:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/murs-frs/21775-murs-base-antenna.html

in this thread you will find lots of info and ideas about what works how well and how far you can reach.

yes, running two watts as is legal probably wont cut it, but if you are only using the radios for necessary communications and no one is screwing around on them; you shouldnt have a problem.
especially out in the middle of nowhere on ATV's.

i would think that if the base station ran around 50 watts and had a good high gain colinear antenna on the roof, and the ATV's each ran 30-40 watt radios with good quality antennas; you could probably have a reliable 20 mile base to mobile connection.

who knows, it might even work better than that.

good luck,
LC

i think id try murs with a firestick antenna for murs band
also gmrs with a repeater should work great
we just use frs radios .then use a uniden bearcat bc350
scanner with radio shack base scanner antenner.for
a base.the base cant talk back to us but it can monitor
whats going on and what not

If you are worried about saving lives in an emergency, I will repeat.... EPIRB! ( and register it!) Next would be satellite phone. Period! What is your life worth??? Your family??? If you are only looking for convenient communication, look at some of the other ideas, but forget ANY sort of amp, because your puny ATV alternator wont even come close to keeping up with the draw.

The MURS band radios should work fine. 45w VHF from the Motorolas should be more than enough to communicate with each other, assuming you have a decent antenna setup. The base will obviously require something more powerful.

My home base for amateur radio, I'm using a 15-ft Diamond vertical with a Radioshack HTX-242 2m VHF radio...on 45w, I've got roughly a 40 mile range on simplex. My setup isn't exactly ideal either, the feedpoint of my vertical base antenna is only about 35 ft off the ground.

Get that base station vertical as high as you can. Add a pre-amp to increase the sensitivity for long range receiving. Use a quality coax for the base station run, RG8U AT MINIMUM. However, it's fairly lossy. A 100-ft run on MURS band, is almost a 3 dB of loss, so only about 25w will actually reach the antenna. I highly advise using a high-quality coax like LMR400 (1.5 dB / 100 ft at MURS), or Belden 9913 (1.6 dB / 100 ft at MURS).

Be sure to mount those radios on the ATVs in a water-proof, and vibration-resistant housing.

Good luck on your setup, and stay safe!

-Richard-
KD8NPB

I have posted this question on this forum before, but really havent got anywhere with it. So here goes. My family rides atvs in the national forest, we have 3 atvs and we need to keep in touch with the riders from a base station in case of an emergency or break down. I need a radio that will cover a 20 mile radius in very dense mountainous( deep valleys and high hills) terrain. We currently have motorola maxtracs programed for the murrs frequency that run 45 watts( i know that is a little high ) But those radios just arnt cutting it. I dont know if the old radios are junk or what. Anyway i need help with this. I think i might have to resort to getting cbs with amps. Like i said, these are only used for emergencies. I am only looking to talk to the base station, not the next county. And i need it as cheap as possible because there is a good chance the radio will get wet. And ham radio is out of the question when there is 15 riders. Thanks for the help!

20 mile range, talking simplex over rough terrain is alot to ask of any radio setup.

where is the base station located in relationship to elevation and terrain, is it on top of a ridge or down in a hole or valley?
if your 'base station' is up on the highest hill, your radio setup may be crap.

first make sure the radios are working right, especially the antennas, you can have the best radio in the world hooked to a shitty antenna and not get out, but you can have a real cheap sorry radio and a good antenna and talk for miles. Is the antenna tuned to the frequency you are using, is it the correct antenna, and is it a good antenna. I think you said it was a no ground plane antenna. If it is, is the coax special looking, like extremely 'fat', if so I would look at a different design, as the reason the coax is large or has large segments is that its designed to dissipate the power reflected back to your radio. You dont need much ground plane on the VHF hi-band, and the smaller wavelength allows antenna designs that are much more efficient with little or no groundplane.

at 45 watts, you ought to be able to get through the rough terrain, but not 20 miles, with an antenna mounted low like on a 4wheeer, your line of site is not but 6 miles, however VHF will go a little bit more than line of site, I would expect a little more, and if your up on a hill, much more, but for an average range, I would figure 8 miles. Ride up to a mountaintop and your signal might go 100 miles.

They made or still make trunk mounted vehicular repeaters, I do not know much about them but I have seen such a thing. A few people are (legally) using them for their GMRS systems. They were quite popular with the state highway patrol many years ago, allowing the officer to talk on his handheld and chase a suspect and still have coms with his handheld. Ask questions about them eventually you outta get answers. You need to have your radios reporgrammed for an offset, and a CTCSS tone to block access to the repeater would also be a good idea. Input on 151.82 and output on 154.600.
Of course, my advice is total gang rape of the FCC rules for MURS, but I think you be alright so long as you dont fool around and use the repeater sparingly, for what you say you want to use if for.

It might* work with 11meters (CB), I think this band has somewhat of a groundwave effect, as it is just barely long enough wavelength to be counted as HF. The wave has a tendency to travel along the earth's surface, over hills (somewhat) , etc.
I see 2 problems with CB,
(1) is antenna and groundplane, what little metal on 4wheeler there is, is insufficient for the other half of the wave to get out. Also a 'decent' antenna is going to be at least 4 foot long, anything shorter and range becomes a complete joke.
(2) is cost, a stock 4watt radio is not going to cut it, you need sideband, and preferably more than 12watts.

I like CB for in the woods, its more private as a million other users drowns out my coms, even better to "slide" between channels, and nobodies on it anyway besides truckers. From a "eyepoker and brick" style handheld to handheld we typically get 5 miles over fairly rough terrain, with newer more compact handhelds, with short antennas, much much less, maybe a few miles, and over gentle terrain when elevation is to my advantage, well, I could talk to base (up on mountain) from the valley, 15 miles away.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.