• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ok now I am in deep doo doo

Oh ok. Thats cool. Here is the new mlb2700 I just bought along with the 4700. The 4700 has a spring. Is that specific to the 4700? Can

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384470859687.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384470859687.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 5
  • uploadfromtaptalk1384470871934.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384470871934.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 5
I am sure I will have to trim the whip so if I add the spring I will have to remove more on top end? This whip is thicker at bottom and tapers. Only whips I have had were all same thickness all the way up. Does the taper help? The spring is no extra performance it just help if you hit something?

Oh and here is a pic of the grounding strap. Its only on one side should I add another or wait to see what my swrs are?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384474967626.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384474967626.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 5
  • uploadfromtaptalk1384474983084.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384474983084.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 5
I am sure I will have to trim the whip so if I add the spring I will have to remove more on top end? This whip is thicker at bottom and tapers. Only whips I have had were all same thickness all the way up. Does the taper help? The spring is no extra performance it just help if you hit something?

no dont add a spring just yet. reason being as it will add to antenna and can/will
change swr . now after checking swr and find you need more lenth and dont have it '
then yes add it then. but honestly the only antenna that really needsit is the 102 whip
ground strap looked good imo. when doing your swrchecks close all doors,hood,trunk lid
and check on 1 then 40. this will determine wheather you need to shorten or lenthen.
a second ground strap on other side of same lenth maybe needed not sure

First off, once you trim the whip portion, you can't take it back. Second, why not try the antenna as it is and make sure it works for you? You are getting a little ahead of yourself. Common mistake that many make and get frustrated by it all.

The whip isn't so long as to be a problem if it is a mere 49 inches, so a spring isn't really needed. I really wouldn't be so concerned. I have a 74 inch whip on a magnetic mount on the top of a Honda CR-V and never needed a spring. Why on the top of the vehicle? Because higher is better, and trunk lip mounts may have problems with getting a usable SWR match.

Reactions: 1 person
I really dont like the look on top of the roof. On the two antennas I had (magnetic mount center of trunk lid) I hsd to trim about 3 inches off a 40" hustler and about one inch of the same size lil wil. The spring just looks nicer (tapered down) versus a rod coming out of a big stubby. I will go with performance over looks but I know they offered this antenna with and without spring. I have a spring now unless I can get a refund from the seller who sold me this antenna as a cb antenna. Figured I have it and it looks good but like I said if it effects the performance then I wouldn't use it

I will agree with Robb. Loading coils really should be above any surrounding metal. But I have been able to get ok results on a trunk lid.

The shorter the antenna, the more difficult they can be to tune up. It is common for K30, Little Wil, etc. to have an inch or two trimmed off before SWR is at a decent level. But always check the meter before any adjustments and trimming. I would be very surprised if you didn't have to trim this antenna, but always check first.

Yes this is the spring. (Pic 1) What I meant to ask if I can use this? I ordered a new antenna. (Pic 2)The old 4700 had a spring (pic 1) I wanted to swap the spring onto the 2700 cause it looks nicer and someone said I am getting a head of myself and it might casue issues. I figured it was only a spring and worst case scenario is I would have to trim the whip again the amount of what the spring

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384540468109.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384540468109.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 6
  • uploadfromtaptalk1384540490523.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384540490523.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 6
I just went to the junk yard and pulled this off a junked p71 crown victoria police car
edaqumu3.jpg

sydatymy.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Yes this is the spring. (Pic 1) What I meant to ask if I can use this? I ordered a new antenna. (Pic 2)The old 4700 had a spring (pic 1) I wanted to swap the spring onto the 2700 cause it looks nicer and someone said I am getting a head of myself and it might casue issues. I figured it was only a spring and worst case scenario is I would have to trim the whip again the amount of what the spring

can try it . but dont cut whip .if your antenna is 4ft or less ive never had to trim
adding the spring will change your swr. so check it both ways.with the spring
channels 1-20 SHOULD havea slightly better swr. without it 20-40 SHOULD tune slightly
better.of course this is with the whole antenna above the car body. [on roof]
when i had a lil wil on the trunk best i could get was a 2.1.1 .this was a 3 ft antenna though

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.