• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

OLD AM CB RADIOS

unit_399

EL CAPO
Jun 17, 2008
ALEJANDRIA, COLOMBIA SA
I am looking to buy a few dozen older AM-only CB radios: 1/2 base stations, and 1/2 mobile. My wife and I run a thermal hot spring resort that is in an area without cellular service, so I hooked up one of my old base radios there so she could communicate with me at our farm. It worked so well, that I put rigs in both our mobiles too. We have a family that runs our restaurant/bar in the pueblo. I installed a base at their place too, so they could communicate with my wife at the resort. People have seen these setups, and now I have a lot of requests for both base and mobile units. So I need to purchase units to sell here. AM-only. Decent radios that do a good job. I'm not a fan of Cybernet radios, but there are so many RCA, GE, Midland, etc., etc. out there for cheap that I think that is the way I will go. I want to stick to a single manufacturer as it makes getting parts a lot easier. We've been making base antennas out of coax, and mobile antennas are readily available here (the truckers run them on their semis just for looks.) Colombia has cb licensing, which is just a matter of filling out the form and paying the dinero.

I would like you guys to weigh in on your opinions on this. Are the Cybernets the best bang for the buck ???
Or should I consider something else. Remember that shipping them to Colombia is expensive, so I need to get something good on the cheap. What do you think. Thanks. 73s.

I am looking to buy a few dozen older AM-only CB radios: 1/2 base stations, and 1/2 mobile. My wife and I run a thermal hot spring resort that is in an area without cellular service, so I hooked up one of my old base radios there so she could communicate with me at our farm. It worked so well, that I put rigs in both our mobiles too. We have a family that runs our restaurant/bar in the pueblo. I installed a base at their place too, so they could communicate with my wife at the resort. People have seen these setups, and now I have a lot of requests for both base and mobile units. So I need to purchase units to sell here. AM-only. Decent radios that do a good job. I'm not a fan of Cybernet radios, but there are so many RCA, GE, Midland, etc., etc. out there for cheap that I think that is the way I will go. I want to stick to a single manufacturer as it makes getting parts a lot easier. We've been making base antennas out of coax, and mobile antennas are readily available here (the truckers run them on their semis just for looks.) Colombia has cb licensing, which is just a matter of filling out the form and paying the dinero.

I would like you guys to weigh in on your opinions on this. Are the Cybernets the best bang for the buck ???
Or should I consider something else. Remember that shipping them to Colombia is expensive, so I need to get something good on the cheap. What do you think. Thanks. 73s.

See if you can get some older Cobra 29LTD or Cobra 25, they are one of the better radio made for AM,just my 2 cents,73's and God Bless!!

Reactions: Jimbo165 and 2RT307
399, check out shopgoodwill.com. there are ALWAYS cheap AM cb radios on there that go for 5 to 10 bucks plus shipping.
if it were me i would buy up all the cobra 25LTDs i could find there.
i know you are familiar with the chassis. solid as they come, and sound great on AM after a tune, and there are so many around that parts radios are easy to come by.
LC

if it were me i would buy up all the cobra 25LTDs i could find there.
i know you are familiar with the chassis. solid as they come, and sound great on AM after a tune, and there are so many around that parts radios are easy to come by. LC

I hadn't thought about Goodwill. I'll check them out. The 25s are great little radios, I agree. What would be your recommendation for a nice CHEAP base radio LC ???

I agree with the others, cobra 25's. Easy radio to work on and parts are still readily available. Great little AM radios. Id see if you can find a batch of like 10 or more of them. Maybe someone here has a line on a few.

You could probably find a batch of cheap 12v computer power supplies to run the 25's, rather than trying to find a base station radio. There used to be a local guy that ran a 25 that he had modded quite a bit. I didn't have the heart to tell the other guys in town that he sounded waaaaay better than their rigs. :)

I can't remember who turned me on to the Goodwill site, but it's a lot of fun just to see what's out there. Sometimes good stuff pops up at really good prices.

Brett

Reactions: space cowboy
You could probably find a batch of cheap 12v computer power supplies
It's a good way to go. Half the radios I use for a base are mobiles off an old computer power supply.
You need to connect the (usually) green wire to one of the power supply ground wires to turn it off/on with the switch on the supply, or wire it with a switch if the supply itself doesn't have a switch.
I've got a 430W supply that handles 2 2sc2879s if I keep the swing low.

Reactions: 2RT307
Cheap base station scenario:

>Used Cobra 25 (Very reliable radio, good for a mile or two)

>http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5336136228&icep_item=120924825019

>http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5336136228&icep_item=301643555795

>http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5336136228&icep_item=121587987260

>http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5336136228&icep_item=181312026483

The built in power supply is the first thing to fail in those old Base Station CB radios. Plus if they're crystal controlled, the crystals have likely drifted off-frequency and new crystals are crazy expensive. Funny how that is one of the most important variables for old CB radios yet NO ONE ever notes if its on or off frequency on eBay... Haha.

Unit 399 I was just setting here thinking about a cheap good talking AM radio that is cheap. the old uniden pro510 or520 radios are small, cheap and talk good. they peak out nice also and are cheap to repair if needed. talking about the older ones with through hole parts in them.
have not seen the newer ones but heard they are surface mount parts, not sure. these little radios talk good and are fairly cheap. I know I have 3 or so of them myself. do not take much space for them either. most people do not even post them for sale used.
just a thought.

Reactions: Mudfoot
399- the 89GTL's are basically a 29LTD base station, and i see them all the time on ebay for about 30 bucks plus shipping.

other than that, old realistic bases like the TRC-431, TRC-434, and the TRC-440 seem to be around all the time, and just dont have much of a following with the CB crowd these days, so they can be had on the cheap.

ive got a johnson messenger 250 base that i will give you for just the price of shipping if that will help.
it works, but needs re-capping and alignment.
it even has the original box!
PM me if you are interested.
it will take me about a week before i could mail it out.
LC

I bought a pair of these about ten years ago to use here in the Keys and have been very impressed. They are basic, simple radios that perform well. One is used in a boat, where it is hooked up to a Shakespeare "Salty Dog" marine CB antenna. The other is used in a car. They communicate with a base, where I tend to run my SSB unit. I needed a simple unit that regular people not big into radios could use with minimal training. My two Uniden PRO 510s fit the bill and have done everything I've needed them to.

As for repairs, my understanding is that this radio has undergone various chassis changes over the years. If memory serves me correctly, I believe three times. So, if you want to buy all of the same radios to make repairs easy, you might have to make sure to buy all of these from the same chassis run.

Reactions: unit_399
I have ran the 510, and now keep a 520 around. They do tune up remarkably well, and the receive is pretty decent, too. The latest version uses surface mount technology, which makes it tougher to work on them, unless you have the right equipment.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.