• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

old call letters/license

redbeast

Aug 14, 2016
For any of the .......old.....guys out there......back in the day I got a license and call letters from the (FCC????). My call letters were KBOD3800__never heard another word from them, am fairly certain this was for "cb", not for ham. Suprised i even remember em after all these years, can't remember if there was a fee, or a freebie. Anyone go that far back, and is that call sign still legit???

Looks like a CB call.

I seem to recall, though I may be making this up, that when the FCC stopped issuing licenses in the '80s if you had a valid call sign at that time you were supposed to keep using it.

No idea how you would go about finding that out now, since the the FCC most likely took their CB license files and dumped them in the nearest shredder shortly afterward.

Reactions: Bobcat
Yup, have tried to do a little checking with uncle charlie....can find nothing. Guesd its like you say, keep using it. Undertaker- do you still use yours? I want to say it was for amateur radio use back when, but...."with age comes wisdom, closely followed by alzheimers"!#

Hey W9CLL, how many years ago, and am i right about the amateur radii thing.....that wasnt for ham as well back then, was it?

Hey W9CLL, how many years ago, and am i right about the amateur radii thing.....that wasnt for ham as well back then, was it?
I think that was from around '75 or so. Yes that is NOT a ham call. At first there was a charge then the FCC dropped the charge and the license was free.

I think that was from around '75 or so. Yes that is NOT a ham call. At first there was a charge then the FCC dropped the charge and the license was free.
Would it be fair to say that I should be using this call when talking ssb, not really looking to get involved in ham at this point

KBOD-3800 is an old FCC assigned Citizens Band call sign. They are no longer required.
Per the FCC -

• You may use an on-the-air pseudonym ("handle") of your choosing.
  • You are not required to transmit a station identification announcement. You are, however, encouraged to identify your CB communications by transmitting a previously assigned CB station call sign; a self-assigned call sign consisting of the letter “K” followed by your initials and residence zip code; your name; or an organizational description including name and any applicable operator unit number.
I don't know anyone that uses old call signs however.

The FCC records were supposedly lost when the area where records were kept was flooded.

I know that KAGD-4570 was issued around 1976.

That's pretty much what i figured from the little research ive done, thanks for all the input guys....figured it couldnt hurt to check up on it. Since uncle charlie wasnt pestering me for $ ya gotta figure its either long dead or obsolete!!!

KANE-4109 here. When I became aware of CB licenses they were $20. By the time I got a radio of my own and applied for a license it was only $4. It took about 2 months to get my paper license back and, about 2 months later, I got my $4.00 check mailed back to me as they had done away with fees completely.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.