• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Oldest CB DX Club # Ya Got

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
Talk about CB SSB DX Club numbers on other thread.

What is the oldest DX number you have issued by an actual club?

Back in the mid late 70's The State "Whiskey" Group was all the rage.

Number prefix based on what order your state joined the union. Followed by letter "W" called Whiskey, followed by member number.

I'm in Georgia. Ga., was 4th state in the union.

My # is 4W1019 - 4 Whiskey 1019

Still use it occasionally

Back in the 1970s, NUMBERS were all the rage! At least on sideband. "Handles," like 10-codes, were for the children on AM. But on SSB we Serious Radio Operators, and used Numbers, Q-codes, and your real first name.

And which number you had was so important. There were people giving out numbers only if you knew someone and were cool enough. In California, the coolest of the cool were the "Charlie Alphas." They handed out "CA" numbers, and when you heard something like "Charlie Alpha 23" everyone unkeyed for a while and let them talk. Or if you went to a break and saw someone with a CA badge you went over and kissed his ass to get a recommendation for a number.

After they hit 99, in order to to keep the ultimate exclusivity of the CAs, they decided to change their numbering scheme and started issuing 3-digit "Charlie Alpha Lima" (CAL) numbers. Sadly I was not quite cool enough to get in on the original core group, but after a lot of schmoozing I did manage to snag "CAL 434."

"Charlie Alpha" and "Cal" numbers were local to SoCal and only used on low band, meaning Ch.16, and anything from 27.255 up to around 27.400 (remember, this was 23 Ch. days). Above 27.400, you left your low band number behind and adopted a nationwide high frequency number. And the coolest around was "Hi Freq" or "HF." I'm not sure exactly how they ran their numbering scheme, but I managed to meet someone at local break who assigned me "C 923." Of course I had to get a badge to show everyone that I was "HF Charlie Nine Twenty Three."

2z6vyi8.jpg

Speaking of breaks, back then CB Radio was an extremely social hobby. In case you're not familiar with the term, a "Channel Break" or just "Break" was a gathering of people who basically hung out on one particular channel, although all were usually welcome. In fact we used to regularly go to other channel's breaks just to socialize and meet people.

I guess they probably started out informally with a few people meeting up at a restaurant or bar. But by the mid-70s they were full blown parties!!! The organizers would rent out an auditorium, women's center, or VFW hall and hundreds of people would show up!! There was usually a few dollar charge to get in, but commonly you'd find live entertainment, food, and sometimes booze. And of course, vendors with engraving machines to carve your official numbers into even more cool badges to hang on your vest.

And yes, believe it or not, a vest so loaded down with pins it looked like it would collapse on the floor was cool. Seriously. Those stupid pins were like chick magnets. That, and a crocheted hat made with Budweiser cans was just about guaranteed to get you laid at a break. Sometimes right in the parking lot. Remember back then there wasn't AIDS, or even herpes to worry about. The worst you could pick up was the clap or a case of the crabs, which were both easily curable.

Around here the local channel 8 crowd threw a pretty good break -

24ythug.jpg

While not that big, for some reason a lot of girls hung out on ch. 8, and I used to do very well there. Thinking back I'm still astonished at the amount of tail I used to score on CB. Much better than at nightclubs, discos, or bars.

One of the biggest in the San Fernando Valley was "Tower Control" -

xldr29.jpg
14sl6zb.jpg

Live band on stage, tons of food, and a huge bar. Tower Control breaks used to go into the wee hours of the night. They were so notorious that other channels started to organize "Hangover Breaks" for the next morning with a coffee and sometimes a full pancake breakfast:

19ni2p.jpg

I'd drag myself to the Sunday morning hangover break and see many of the same people that were at the other break the night before, some wearing the same clothes. And, as you can see by the badges, no matter where you went you got a new number that you could use. It's all about the numbers. Like I said, hundreds of people used to show up to these events.

To tell you the truth it's kind of sad to see what's happened to CB today. Back then your plans for Saturday night was to get in your mobile and drive around talking on the radio until you found out where the action was. By yourself, with a buddy, or even a date, there was always something happening. People meeting at this restaurant, a party over at that guys house, gathering at a local bar, etc.

Passengers would switch mobiles, maybe ride with someone who got lucky and left with a girl. No problem, a call over someone's mobile would get them a ride home. Other times new people would be looking for something to do, so they'd "talk you in" to their house and you pick 'em up and let them ride along with you to the gathering spot. We used to meet on hilltops with cases of beer and try to shoot skip.

These days I dug my old radios out of the garage, threw up an antenna and got nothing. Just one dead channel after another. It was so dead I first thought the problem was me, so I pulled down my old ground plane antenna and threw up a new PT-99. Still nothing. Wow, maybe my old Cobra 138 is toast, so I bought a new Galaxy 959 and hooked it up. Still nothing but static. And the occasional DX noise. But that's about it. Too bad, because at one time CB radio was a whole lot of fun. I mean a lot of fun!

But those days are gone. So I guess that means I can stop wearing my ALERT badge now -

jl2b90.jpg

:D

Last edited:
From about 1982, my "numbers" were NAO223. That stood for North American Outlaw 223. I got these numbers by joining in on a net somewhere on the upper 40 one night. They even sent me a member's card and net schedule. Nice group of folks!

Back in the 1970s, NUMBERS were all the rage! At least on sideband.

But those days are gone. So I guess that means I can stop wearing my ALERT badge now -

:D
Cro, when did those days end? was it a slow death?. around here in Nova Scotia seems pretty dead as well.

When I moved to Colombia, I had a lot of DX contacts in the states ask me if I ever knew of, or had met "POP". Back in the early 70s this guy moved from the states to Venezuela and set up a station there. He started the SAtellite Club, and issued numbers (SA for South America). They talked exclusively on 27.425. I remember talking to him and many of the club members when I lived in Georgia back then. He was in his 60s then, so he would be in his 90s now. I was told he moved back to the US due to health problems. Anyone out there know of him or his whereabouts?? I was told that he passed, but I would like to know for sure.

There was also a group on chan 16 lsb that was called the "Stars and Stripes" group. Originated in SoCal I think. My dad was a member and went by SS399 (which is why I use Unit 399 today). I don't know how and when this group started, but my dad had a station on our farm in 1958, so it dates back to CB's beginnings.

As CROMAGNON said, in the early days, CBers were a very social community, with weekly "coffee breaks" and many big-time get-togethers. It was great fun. In regards to CroMagnon's reference to getting "laid" at these parties, suffice to say that the rule of thumb back then was the better the woman sounded on-the-air, was directionally proportional to her weight or indirectionally proportional to her number of teeth. I remember a female CBer in Indianapolis back in the late 70s who went by the handle of "Rotten Tomato" or RT. She lived near the I-465/ I-70 interchange. On-the-air she sounded ABSOLUTELY beautiful. She drove the truckers crazy! I met her when I set up her base station. She was 4'11" tall and 4'11" wide.

Whatever, CBing has changed a lot since then, but so has everything else. It's always nice to reminesce.

Back in the 70s I was Nassau County Sidebanders NCS 1115. There really weren't that many of us, I just went with 1115 because it sounded good on the air. Several years later after a move to Arizona I was Salt River Valley SRV 810.

These days I'm not affiliated with any clubs but I still go by 885.

Starting out in CB in the 60's with my Father the broadcast engineer, handles and numbers other than your official FCC assigned letters were all that were allowed or there would be hell to pay.
Got caught talking to the Pink Panther on 14AM one night and got a scolding and read the riot act. :LOL:

Later on started out as W22JCO.

Starting out in CB in the 60's with my Father the broadcast engineer, handles and numbers other than your official FCC assigned letters were all that were allowed or there would be hell to pay.
Got caught talking to the Pink Panther on 14AM one night and got a scolding and read the riot act. :LOL:

Later on started out as W22JCO.

Most times these CB DX Group affiliations and numbers were for those who had them thar illeegal extry channels. Wasn't so much about CB 23 or 40 channel use. Before Export radio days guys used external VFO's or added/changed crystals to go up above ch 23/40. Or some use ham rigs that were likewise modified. Then when PLL's came out it wasn't long they learned how to trick them out to go out of band.

That was one of the contradictions at my house. My father had radio capability to cover the known radio spectrum in those days. But by God even when running illegal, we ran legal! :blink::laugh:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.