• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PC Monitors

Riverman

Nov 12, 2013
Beware. An outsider has found his way into the Ham Forum. A lowly CB'er, for cryin' out loud!
(It cost me a few bucks and I had to rough a couple of guys up, but I finally got directions and the secret password and here I am!)

Here's my question: In a lot of the photos of members' ham shacks, there is a pc monitor (or two or three) present. What are these being used for?

Thanks. Sorry for the intrusion.

The forum is open to all. There are no exclusive sections anywhere.

In most cases, 1 monitor is used for typical web browser and the other ones are probably for Ham Radio software logging programs and Radio control via PC.

I have 2 PC's and monitors in my shack. 1 for web browser and general use. The other I use as a clean server computer so I can access my home station via internet link and operate my radio remotely with a laptop and a headset anywhere I have internet service.

I also have other rig control and logging programs too on my server pc.

Reactions: wavrider
The forum is open to all. There are no exclusive sections anywhere.

In most cases, 1 monitor is used for typical web browser and the other ones are probably for Ham Radio software logging programs and Radio control via PC.

I have 2 PC's and monitors in my shack. 1 for web browser and general use. The other I use as a clean server computer so I can access my home station via internet link and operate my radio remotely with a laptop and a headset anywhere I have internet service.

I also have other rig control and logging programs too on my server pc.

Remote usage via laptop and headset. That's amazing. Would never have guessed that. I was only thinking that perhaps contacts were being kept up with and logged using a computer.

Thank you for the info.

most of the modern rigs are able to be used with a pc, the older ones not so much

Dang. Wish I had my $20 back. o_O
Only $20!!! I've been dealing with the wrong people in this section.:mad:

A decent SDR is cool if you're into radio on any level, a cheap TV dongle type is all you need just to play around. Also I'm sure that many people would keep radio stuff and a non radio related computer on the same desk just to avoid having desks all over the place.

Also if you look closely at what's on the monitors in those pics you'll find that most of these guys can't go five minutes without the WorldWideDX forum.:whistle:

Remote usage via laptop and headset. That's amazing. Would never have guessed that. I was only thinking that perhaps contacts were being kept up with and logged using a computer.

Thank you for the info.
Actually remote radio operating technolgy has been around for years.

I can also fully operate my home station including rotating a beam antenna and TX by plugging my headset into my Android phone and using a specific app.

The app has too much delay so it is not the preferred way to operate except for a quick QSO.

Actually remote radio operating technolgy has been around for years.

I can also fully operate my home station including rotating a beam antenna and TX by plugging my headset into my Android phone and using a specific app.

The app has too much delay so it is not the preferred way to operate except for a quick QSO.

That's fascinating.
Maybe the new Cobra Smart CB can be operated that way. Then the 11 meter airways will be full of guys shooting skip from their campers and Motel 6's all across the country. I might have to trade in my Cobra 85 Dynascan!

Back on track and on a more serious note: Are 2 Meter radios capable of this operation?

That's fascinating.
Maybe the new Cobra Smart CB can be operated that way. Then the 11 meter airways will be full of guys shooting skip from their campers and Motel 6's all across the country. I might have to trade in my Cobra 85 Dynascan!

Back on track and on a more serious note: Are 2 Meter radios capable of this operation?
Not likely for the Cobra. Their CB's are mostly legal CB's and not likely to ever have pc control which is necessary for the basis of remote operating. Remote operating on the CB band and without a license on other bands is a violation of FCC rules by the way.

2m can be remoted on HF radios that also have 2m like the Yaesu 991. I'm not aware of any 2m radios that have of full pc radio control capabilities. Most 2m are mobile rigs. Programming USB ports won't work.

If you would like to do it legally one day, you can easily get your tech license and a modern HF rig and set up a remote station for yourself.

I like the ability to access my home station and do it often when I'm traveling on the road and layed over. I even found away to power up my amplifier remotely so I have amplifier power just like I'm at home. Fortunately my amp is solid state and auto bandswitching.

Thank you again, fourstring, for all the great eye-opening info. My guess is you'll be hearing from a lot of hams wanting pointers on setting up their own rigs in that manner.

I'm headed back to the cavern and my 40 barefoot channels.

Well, Riverman, find a study guide, take the exam, and join us on the amateur radio bands as well. :)

I have two monitors connected to the same computer. The monitor over the radio is where I do things like run the logging program, WSJT-X and Fldigi for digital modes, and do software development and such. The main wide screen monitor off to the side is where I do Web browsing, email, and office related tasks. I've always had the computer right next to the radio, even back when my computer was a Radio Shack Color Computer 2 back in the '80s.

Well, Riverman, find a study guide, take the exam, and join us on the amateur radio bands as well. :)

I have two monitors connected to the same computer. The monitor over the radio is where I do things like run the logging program, WSJT-X and Fldigi for digital modes, and do software development and such. The main wide screen monitor off to the side is where I do Web browsing, email, and office related tasks. I've always had the computer right next to the radio, even back when my computer was a Radio Shack Color Computer 2 back in the '80s.

NONB,
I was doing just that a couple of years ago so that I could get a Yaesu 817ND and an Alexloop for QRP operations (my interest). However, life got in the way and I am just now getting back into radio. Not sure what direction I want to go now.

Just curious--do computers ever cause problems with transceivers when in close proximity with them? Or vice versa?

Thanks.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.