• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PC Monitors

I am sure there are some cases of interference one way or the other but each station is different. The older CRT monitors would cause some noise in some receivers but the newer LED type monitors seem to be noise free. Most computer switch type power supplies are filtered and are pretty good too. With computers and radio gear it's really a gamble as for interference but usually if there is any it is easy to cure. Sometimes simply coiling up a power cord or coax cable will do the job.

I wound a toroid around the power supply wires to cure my problem. The unshielded wires act like an antenna and feed the RF straight back into the amp.
I did try that with a ferrite but no luck. Fortunately it only gets RFI when the amplified speakers are on. I don't need the speakers on when I'm on the radio anyway.

But good advice to try for other people with the same problem.

There can be RFI issues. Mostly I have had issues with lines going to interface peripherals and sometimes with the serial line to the radio. Snap-on ferrites of Mix 31 material does a pretty good job of taming that. Good grounding in the shack is essential as is using high quality feedlines. The computer and peripherals can cause RFI to the receiver.

It seems that as computers got faster the problems decreased. I also stopped buying the cheap junk and started getting IBM/Lenovo computers second hand from eBay and that has helped a lot. The use of LCD monitors got rid of a lot of hash in my HF receivers as well.

Various other things I have such as routers and whatnot contribute spikes and birdies here and there across the bands. It sucks, but I want a network going at the same time so I live with it.

I am sure there are some cases of interference one way or the other but each station is different. The older CRT monitors would cause some noise in some receivers but the newer LED type monitors seem to be noise free. Most computer switch type power supplies are filtered and are pretty good too. With computers and radio gear it's really a gamble as for interference but usually if there is any it is easy to cure. Sometimes simply coiling up a power cord or coax cable will do the job.
I've had a couple of LED monitors create havoc on radios. There are power cords available that have filtering in them. Mole posted a thread awhile back for these power cords; can't seem to find that thread now.

I've had a couple of LED monitors create havoc on radios. There are power cords available that have filtering in them. Mole posted a thread awhile back for these power cords; can't seem to find that thread now.

This is true and seems to be from the switch type power supplies used in them. The noise is radiated by the power cord. I forgot about that thread. Thanks for the reminder.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.