• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power Supply... Recommendation

It's under 20W in, but the power supply I have isn't enough for the amp. (Astron RS 35A) If it were in my mobile with the 270A alt and two batteries, it wouldn't be a problem.;)

And those lights flickering is exactly why you really don't want to 'push' a power supply if possible. It means that the circuit supplying AC to that PS isn't capable of the draw that's being put on it. That leads to all kinds of complications. Any sort of 'pushing' is always a gamble. Just be sure you can afford to not win that bet...
- 'Doc
Oh it's amp lights flickering, not my house lights heh heh. Undersized PSU for the amp...

I'm not sure what the Black Widow means, but I wouldn't run the TS350 wide open. I would more than likely run it on Low or Medium. I was leaning towards the 350 just incase I ever wanted to move up in power I would have the option to do so. However I did mention that I may just get a high power Export so I might not even have a need to get an amp.

I'm not sure what the Black Widow means either, but do note that the variable power knob isn't good for too many watts, the potentiometer will fry. If you leave it wide open its fine, but if you turn it down and put a lot of watts in, eventually no watts will come out.

I'm not sure what the Black Widow means either, but do note that the variable power knob isn't good for too many watts, the potentiometer will fry. If you leave it wide open its fine, but if you turn it down and put a lot of watts in, eventually no watts will come out.

chances are the variable has been burned/shorted out from being OVERDRIVEN. that happened to me
many years ago with my ts350hdv. just checked out the specs at texas star web site
350 watts @ 30 amp draw.

I have a BK 1608 that seems to do ok, though I don't have much use with it since I use it to run the garage radio. Nice thing about it is it has the amp/volt meters, adjustable voltage control, plus it has a built in fan as well as front mount hook ups - one with screw terminals and two push tab style.

I love my Astrons. I've owned 4 of them so far. All were robust and well built. My current Astron power supply is an RS-70A that will handle up to 57 amps continuous.

I need a power supply to run my RM Italy 203p and my Galaxy 959. The Amp is rated at 10 watts and has 12 watt fuse the radio probably pulls around 4 amps.

Now with that being said I'd like to get a power supply that could handle a larger Amp or a bigger radio such as a RCI 2970n2. I know Astron is a great power supply but was wondering if there are other companies out there or if deals could be had on something like this.

May I suggest to you that you may at some point need a larger PS?? I highly recommend the Mega-Watt S-400-12 from E-Bay. This is all the guy sells. These are rated at 30amps 100% and 36 amps for 90%...I have ran a Texas star DX399 and a 2 Pill Fat Boy on this PS with NO problems at all!! Yes it is Chinese made but must come out of one of the better factories as it is top quality. It has run day and night almost continuous since I bought it in November. The PS sell for less than 70 bucks including shipping. I blew a lousy Pyramid 25 amp trying to run the Fat Boy...I bought this NEW from REDMAN CB Stop and they will NOT honor their warranty. Will not answer my emails and will not return my phone calls! NEVER Buy anything again from them!!! This is what Redman RECOMENDED to run the FB with...Not what I chose!
Having said this I would consider the Mega Watt S 400-12.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.