• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Procomm Patriot 12 Foot CB Base Antenna advise

they got a thing called a boomer kit that mounts to the bottom of
antenna it has 4 nine foot radials .add that and try to get the base
up too 30ft should do well.being its not a tall antenna you,ll probaly
need to really get it up high in the air imho.one good thing is that
being that short you shouldnt have to worry about it snapping in two
like my imax did.i know of 2 more imaxes that snapped also. makes you wonder
if you really need a 24ft. long antenna to get out good

they got a thing called a boomer kit that mounts to the bottom of
antenna it has 4 nine foot radials .add that and try to get the base
up too 30ft should do well.being its not a tall antenna you,ll probaly
need to really get it up high in the air imho.one good thing is that
being that short you shouldnt have to worry about it snapping in two
like my imax did.i know of 2 more imaxes that snapped also. makes you wonder
if you really need a 24ft. long antenna to get out good

Thanks HR, I'll look into that

K

As I mentioned, I have the antenna mounted to the garage; well I almost lost the antenna along with the garage today - some how a fire got started inside the building.

Fortunately a neighbor across the street spotted it and it was put out before any serious damage was done.

The fire inspector, a real nice guy, put down the cause as inconclusive; there was no rags or anything that could have started it nor did it appear to have started from an electrical short.

He put forth the possibility that some kid could have gotten in there but I think they would have had to had nay-nays the size of basketballs to do it in broad day light.

I dunno. but no one got hurt and the damage could have been a whole lot worse.

K

I know for the most part, the 12' Patriot gets bad reviews. However, I was able to find this at RadioReference.com:

03-21-2006, 7:12 AM

Location: Wisconsin, Michigan, Tennessee, Alabama, or Florida seasonal
This past Monday, a colleague and I did a fairly involved test. We made a comparison between the Antron A-99 and the ProComm Patriot 12. Both are end fed 1/2 wave omni verticals with the Antron A-99 being 18 feet in total height above the mount and tha Partiot 12 being 12 feet in height above the mount. Tha A-99 is a full mechanical 1/2 wavelength antenna while the Patriot 12 has a loading coil and is 'electrically' 1/2 wavelength.

We started with the basic A-99 ( no ground radial kit ) on a 10 foot mast and tripod in an open field. The radio was a Uniden PRO500d on channel 20 (center band frequency) using 25 feet of RG8/U and standard PL259 (non teflon) connectors. Our field strength readings were taken with a commercial AlphaLab FSM mounted on a camera tripod at 6 feet off the ground. Our readings were taken at 50 yards, 100 yards and 150 yards from the antenna. We used binoculars to view the digital meter readings so our close proximity to the meter would not influence the readings.

The Patriot 12 was then placed on the same mount and all conditions were the same as for the A-99. The same locations were monitored and the readings were identical at 50 and 100. The surprise came out at 150 where the Patriot 12 actually out performed the A-99 by .08 uW/cm2 on the scale ( calibrated in microwatts per centimeter squared) We double checked the results and confirmed the first set of readings. The Patriot 12 seems to have a shallower departure angle for the RF lobe than than the A-99 that we tested.

Both are VERY GOOD performers and for those persons who need a smaller antenna, the Patriot 12 will do an excellent job for you. If space limitations and wind loading are not an issue for you, then the A-99 is a good choice. We know from company literature that the A-99 has a 2 dbi higher rating than the Patriot 12, but our observations made those figures arbitrary.

(This is not a general endorsement for either product. The overall performance in average conditions should be fairly equal between both antennas. However, we use the Patriot 12 in disaster responses because it is easier to transport and set up quickly than the A-99.)

I've been fooling with homemade antenna ideas but have always liked the look of this antenna. Just been scared to get it. Had given up until finding this post. Is there hope for the PAT-12?

I know for the most part, the 12' Patriot gets bad reviews. However, I was able to find this at RadioReference.com:

This past Monday, a colleague and I did a fairly involved test. We made a comparison between the Antron A-99 and the ProComm Patriot 12. Both are end fed 1/2 wave omni verticals with the Antron A-99 being 18 feet in total height above the mount and tha Partiot 12 being 12 feet in height above the mount. Tha A-99 is a full mechanical 1/2 wavelength antenna while the Patriot 12 has a loading coil and is 'electrically' 1/2 wavelength.

We started with the basic A-99 ( no ground radial kit ) on a 10 foot mast and tripod in an open field. The radio was a Uniden PRO500d on channel 20 (center band frequency) using 25 feet of RG8/U and standard PL259 (non teflon) connectors. Our field strength readings were taken with a commercial AlphaLab FSM mounted on a camera tripod at 6 feet off the ground. Our readings were taken at 50 yards, 100 yards and 150 yards from the antenna. We used binoculars to view the digital meter readings so our close proximity to the meter would not influence the readings.

The Patriot 12 was then placed on the same mount and all conditions were the same as for the A-99. The same locations were monitored and the readings were identical at 50 and 100. The surprise came out at 150 where the Patriot 12 actually out performed the A-99 by .08 uW/cm2 on the scale ( calibrated in microwatts per centimeter squared) We double checked the results and confirmed the first set of readings. The Patriot 12 seems to have a shallower departure angle for the RF lobe than than the A-99 that we tested.

Both are VERY GOOD performers and for those persons who need a smaller antenna, the Patriot 12 will do an excellent job for you. If space limitations and wind loading are not an issue for you, then the A-99 is a good choice. We know from company literature that the A-99 has a 2 dbi higher rating than the Patriot 12, but our observations made those figures arbitrary.

(This is not a general endorsement for either product. The overall performance in average conditions should be fairly equal between both antennas. However, we use the Patriot 12 in disaster responses because it is easier to transport and set up quickly than the A-99.)

I've been fooling with homemade antenna ideas but have always liked the look of this antenna. Just been scared to get it. Had given up until finding this post. Is there hope for the PAT-12?

Maybe they left out the part about the 3 cases of beer consumed during the "test" lol. Several locals ran those Patriot 12's and they did not perform well. The A99 was much better. I suppose if that's all you have then run it.

my only issue is i see no way to tune this antenna.[if im wrong someone correct me]
also i dont see it out doing a a99. the a99 is a dipole which all others are measured
against.maybe do almost as good as a99 but not better,i fail to see it

It appears to have been updated and now has the same tuning rings as the A99. That's what the ads show. ProComm Patriot 12 ft.- 2 Section Fiberglass 2000 Watt 10/11 Meter Base Antenna - patriot

Just wondering if it would perform better than a homemade GP made from Steel whips, Firestiks, and the such.

Love the beer comment, 9C1! You're probably right!
I know it won't perform like an A99 but I have limited space and particular neighbors.

well

mine has tuning rings. and i could not
get the swrs down at all. so i put it back in the box.
its been sitting in my closet for a few years. i would not recommend this antenna.
i would go with the a99 or imax.

the a99 is a dipole which all others are measured
against.

No it isn't. It is an end fed vertical halfwave antenna and performs the same as every other halfwave end fed antenna.

To the OP: The higher you can get it the better the performance will be locally. It won't make much difference to DX.

It appears to have been updated and now has the same tuning rings as the A99. That's what the ads show. ProComm Patriot 12 ft.- 2 Section Fiberglass 2000 Watt 10/11 Meter Base Antenna - patriot

Just wondering if it would perform better than a homemade GP made from Steel whips, Firestiks, and the such.

Love the beer comment, 9C1! You're probably right!
I know it won't perform like an A99 but I have limited space and particular neighbors.
your homemade antenna way it sits should do just about as good. change the top out
to a 102 whip should be a tad better

Gave up on the idea of a homemade antenna (I know, shame on me!) and purchased a Patriot 12 (I know, shame on me!).

Looks decently made but does rattle when I shake it side-to-side (am guessing that's the wire inside.)

Took it out in the back yard last last night, leaned it against the tree, ran the coax indoors and connected it to my 35-year-old Royce CB. Skip was going crazy. Loud and clear on every channel. Didn't transmit as I didn't want to fool with checking SWR (it was late and I was tired). In a couple of days I'll put it on my 15' mast.

Here's my question And please, serious answers only. Please no "Shoulda bought a A99 " or "You coulda done better with a trunk-lip Firestik on your rain gutter."

Question: As I understand it, as is the case with the A99 and IMAX, the coax provides the counterpoise. So should I route it a certain way for best performance (for example, straight down the mast, or at a 45 degree angle, etc.")

Thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Last edited:
This antenna should perform as well as any other antenna of the same length. It is not a 1/2 wave antenna it is a 'loaded' 1/2 wave antenna which means it is shorter thn the full sized 1/2 wave bu acts like one because the proper amounts of 'loading' are added. Spo what does that mean? That means that it will -almost- have the same radiation patter as a regular 1/2 wave vertical antenna, not quite, but close. So, it ought'a put a signal at least close to what a regular 1/2 wave antenna would. It will have a slightly better performance than a 1/4 wave vertcial, and not quite as 'good'a one as a 5/8 wave antenna. The 'trick' is to make the thing resonant and to match input impedances to the rest of the antenna system. (That's what has to be done for -any- antenna!)
So what'sw the advantage to using this antenna rather than some other one? It's size. That's about it. Will that 'extra' three feet make it better than a typical 1/4 wave vertical? Not much at all, but some, maybe. How about adding a "groundplane" to it? After retuning, it might work, but since it wasn't designed to work that way things changed.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.