• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Put the car in "Park" !

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
I am sitting here in some big pain in my lower legs :( My wife called about an hour ago and said my van wouldn't start at a friends house. I pulled up to the front of the van with my car in case it needed a jump. I opened the hood and took the battery connectors off and cleaned them. I told my wife to try to start it again and nothing happened. The van is a Ford and the selinoid is on the fender so I happened to hit both bolts with my leatherman and heard the starter spin. I told her to turn the key on and I would see if it would start by crossing both bolts on the selinoid. As soon as I crossed them the van started and lurched forward and pinned me between the bumpers of the van and car. The pressure was immense ! There was so much pain and I kept hollering for her to back up ! It kept driving forward into my legs and I stood there waiting to hear a couple "snaps" from my legs. Finally she got it backed up and I just bent over in pain. She said it wasn't in "Park" so when she thought she had put it in "Reverse" and gave it gas it was actually in 2nd gear :shock: I told her that is why it wasn't starting . I thank the Lord the Old's had a "plastic" bumper. I feel like someone took a baseball bat and beat the backs of my calves. So be careful that you have your vehicle in Park !

Sounds like a few vicodins might help :( I think the good Lord blessed this day for you SW , I could only emigine how your wife must have felt , I bet she was terrified ! You sir sound like a very Lucky sore man. Now that's a hell of a way to end the year. Happy New Year SW , and I do believe the good Lord is with you. SK

Thanks guys. Yes He surely was ! And yes my wife felt horrible. She started crying and I really felt bad for her. She has called a couple times to see if I'm alright. I still have the bumper indentation on the back of my calves :? I'm back to doing drywall and I know walking on the stilts tomorrow will be a fun time :shock:

Don't you hate it when they cut those automatics off in gear. Neutral safty switch doing its job. I had an old chevelle coverted to 4 speed, you could shift the old auto part of the tree into gear and have best antitheft deviece you could get in the early 70's. Never did put a new column in because of this. Back then had to have hood locks and chain the dog to the car or you woke up to find it on blocks. Oh the memories.....

Sure hope you will be ok. And never ever get btw vechiles again, it is never safe to do. Always connect from side. Hope others learn from this.

Cars can do some damage. I Had my Jeep Grand Cherokee fall on me a few months ago, breaking my sternum. Had a painful couple of months after that.

Neutral safty switch doing its job
Yep, as soon as she told me it wasn't in Park the whole time I knew what happened. We were having some problems with a bad battery connector so I assumed that to be the problem this time. It is an Aerostar that has the tall stick on the floor though auitomatic. We just got the van on the road and I guess she was used to driving my 5-speed F-150 and forgot. But I guarantee the next time that will be the FIRST thing I check !

I Had my Jeep Grand Cherokee fall on me a few months ago, breaking my sternum
Ouch !

glad it wasnt worse than it could have been

When I was driving over the road I was backing to a dock and for some reason the dock guy was thinking he was helping by waving me back from inside the dock. as the gap closed and I couldnt see the guy anymore I thought , this guy might just jump down between the trailer and the dock, so I stopped and set the brake. Guess what? He jumped between my trailer and the dock, WHY? I have no friggin clue, NOR DID HE! Luckily I had the feeling he did it, he was pinned between the back of trailer and the dock, he wasnt injured but was VERY SCARED!

Wow ! It was bad enough with a van pinning me but at least I was able to get my wife's attention. To eyeball the back of a big truck with no way to get your attention would have been a nightmare ! There was someone killed around here not awful long ago by what you described.

I couldn't image being in that postion.

Yeah Stone, helplessness, fear, and pain all at once. Pretty scarey and not an event I would like to venture into again ! :shock:

WOW!! Ron it could have been alot worse then what it was. Glad to see ya ok though.
I see my mechanic pinned between a car and his big tool box about 2 years and it wasnt a pretty sight. It broke one of his legs just from the impact. I walked in and seen that and backed the car up for him. He has another mechanic there at all times but he was out on a road call at that time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.