• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question HF

Skysho

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jan 10, 2010
Salem, OR
I apologize for my lousy typing, 2nd day since rotator cuff surgery. Having read many of your posts, I respect your knowledge and experience. My base unit currently is an FT817, w/ldg z817 tuner and a lamp cord loop around my second story roof. I'm ready to buy something with a bit more power like an FT840 890 or ic-718-725. Something reasonably priced, won"t really depreciate and works with HRD and a ldg Z100 i have stashed. I'm tired of having to be relayed into the nets. :) Actually I'm quite proud of this 817, but would like a little more oomph. I only have 1 icom (V8000) and a whole collection of Yaesu HT's and mobiles. My wife cut a great deal, when we get her a new house i can get a serious base. So this one will be buying time. Do you have any advice of the four i've mentioned? I want to hang around the 400 target. thanks in advance for any advice.
Bryant
W7BDB

this one hand typing blows.

FT-840 Is a great radio and extremely simple to run I have 2 of them in my cluster of radios another super radio is the Kenwood TS-50S small compact and if you look around you can find the matching antenna tuner AT-50 I have ours in the house and have been messing with it since my wifes been running her FT-857D I been messing around with this TS-50S and love the little thing I use it here and there and its a solid performer all across the bands and the matching AT-50 tuner is quick and a simple fool proof setup that runs off the radios processor via its connetor cable.

Are you considering selling the 817 and adding that to your $400 budget? That would give you a few more options.

If you like the 817 and would like to continue to use it, you might consider a 100 watt amp to go with it. Something like the HF Superpacker Pro would be fun to build and it's in your budget:

Amp_with_tilt_stand2_002.17690309_std.jpg

HF Projects - HF SuperPacker Pro

Appreciate the info. Keeping the 817 but have thought about the 40watt amp as a way to reach out a bit more.

couple of ideas

antenna, antenna, antenna

did i mention a good antena?;););)

rotator cuff surgery, been there , done that.
i assume that you still have the external morphine bulb and iv in use(y).

you should be starting your physical therapy ASAP. i started mine the day after.

do EXACTLY what you are instructed and NO more/less. if you are told to do 15 exercises, then do 15,..... not 12, not 17,....... 15!

You mean my lamp cord loop isn't one of the antenna choices? :) No iv after recovery, only some oxy. Doc said therapy starts in three weeks. I have heard others start right away, others were delayed. Better get back to subject matter...I agree a better antenna would do wonders. I had a long wire hooked up, but loop seems to do better. Definitely better SWR readings across all the bands.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.