• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question HF

Skysho

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jan 10, 2010
Salem, OR
I apologize for my lousy typing, 2nd day since rotator cuff surgery. Having read many of your posts, I respect your knowledge and experience. My base unit currently is an FT817, w/ldg z817 tuner and a lamp cord loop around my second story roof. I'm ready to buy something with a bit more power like an FT840 890 or ic-718-725. Something reasonably priced, won"t really depreciate and works with HRD and a ldg Z100 i have stashed. I'm tired of having to be relayed into the nets. :) Actually I'm quite proud of this 817, but would like a little more oomph. I only have 1 icom (V8000) and a whole collection of Yaesu HT's and mobiles. My wife cut a great deal, when we get her a new house i can get a serious base. So this one will be buying time. Do you have any advice of the four i've mentioned? I want to hang around the 400 target. thanks in advance for any advice.
Bryant
W7BDB

this one hand typing blows.

FT-840 Is a great radio and extremely simple to run I have 2 of them in my cluster of radios another super radio is the Kenwood TS-50S small compact and if you look around you can find the matching antenna tuner AT-50 I have ours in the house and have been messing with it since my wifes been running her FT-857D I been messing around with this TS-50S and love the little thing I use it here and there and its a solid performer all across the bands and the matching AT-50 tuner is quick and a simple fool proof setup that runs off the radios processor via its connetor cable.

Are you considering selling the 817 and adding that to your $400 budget? That would give you a few more options.

If you like the 817 and would like to continue to use it, you might consider a 100 watt amp to go with it. Something like the HF Superpacker Pro would be fun to build and it's in your budget:

Amp_with_tilt_stand2_002.17690309_std.jpg

HF Projects - HF SuperPacker Pro

Appreciate the info. Keeping the 817 but have thought about the 40watt amp as a way to reach out a bit more.

couple of ideas

antenna, antenna, antenna

did i mention a good antena?;););)

rotator cuff surgery, been there , done that.
i assume that you still have the external morphine bulb and iv in use(y).

you should be starting your physical therapy ASAP. i started mine the day after.

do EXACTLY what you are instructed and NO more/less. if you are told to do 15 exercises, then do 15,..... not 12, not 17,....... 15!

You mean my lamp cord loop isn't one of the antenna choices? :) No iv after recovery, only some oxy. Doc said therapy starts in three weeks. I have heard others start right away, others were delayed. Better get back to subject matter...I agree a better antenna would do wonders. I had a long wire hooked up, but loop seems to do better. Definitely better SWR readings across all the bands.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Everything is El Dead-o. Joy!
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Please advise me to what is a good replacement mic for my SR-497HPC... Answer: 497 is "wired like Cobra", so many choices available. That radio does not need a power mic, so purchase a stock "coffin style" mic with a decent cord, like the ones that Astatic uses. The Superstar DM-507 is my go-to. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3050474478...adANq91JSiEEnz8EGqPJRBloTgEyaVsBoCtoMQAvD_BwE $12.99 + .99 cent shipping.