• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question on 10 meter HAM purchase

Nothing wrong with"73's"
Rich

Attachments

• nms_1231[1].jpg
    nms_1231[1].jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 184
Reactions: binrat
If you are going to use CW terms, learn how to use them properly.
You would never send - S E V E N T Y T H R E E ' S
You would send 73.
dah-dah-di-di-dit di-di-di-dah-dah
It only shows a persons ignorance and makes them sound like cb'rs when they say seventy three's...
If we teach just one person, and that person teaches one person, eventually we could clean up the bands and restore amateur radio back to it's prominence that it had 50 years ago when being a ham actually stood for something and wasn't just a upgrade in license from the cb radio.

One can buy a simple 10m mobile radio for around $100 that will work just fine. They are type accepted, so don't let some tell you that they are illegal. I buy them and fix them if I can find them cheap enough (got about 10 of them), as they are somewhat inexpensive to repair if you know how. The Uniden, Magnum, and Ranger are the best; but even a Galaxy 77, 88, and 99 will work out just fine too.

You can do it on the cheap that way . . .

I'm a old dx talker from the late 70's, and from talking dx on the 11m band was all good and has been for years...sold out a few times down through the years...this last time I got back into the hobby and ran a SSB radio since 2002, and enjoyed talking dx on the SSB radio I used to run, talked some on AM too, but it's nothing like talking dx on SSB, lol......

So back in 2012, I went and bought me a 2995dx, bought the new version one with the black back ground and green numbers radio, even tho the guys was trying to tell me to save my money and buy a HF radio instead, but I didn't listen to them, now that I look back it was mistake ..but anyways, as I learned my way around on the 2995dx I got to play on the 10m band, talked most my dx from 28.3250 up to around 28.4900....by the way I did have a Tech Ticket to do this here...I paid enough for that new radio to have bought a good HF radio....

So now 2015, I'm going to do just what the guys tried to tell me the first time to do, I'm going to order me a Yaesu FT 450d radio in a few days, and use the antennas I have now for time been, and study and get my General ticket...I'll be able to use my antennas on 10m band until I can up grade to my General ticket, which maybe a couple months...

So for the record, listen to these guys here they are right on....I got a taste of talking dx on the 10m band and was hooked, you would be surprised just how far you can talk on 20 watts and a good antenna system.......

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with"73's"
Rich

If you are going to use CW terms, learn how to use them properly.
You would never send - S E V E N T Y T H R E E ' S
You would send 73.
dah-dah-di-di-dit di-di-di-dah-dah
It only shows a persons ignorance and makes them sound like cb'rs when they say seventy three's...
If we teach just one person, and that person teaches one person, eventually we could clean up the bands and restore amateur radio back to it's prominence that it had 50 years ago when being a ham actually stood for something and wasn't just a upgrade in license from the cb radio.

As I said some ham's freak about it.

Because 10 meters is not channelized and because the band is one of the larger of all of the amateur radio HF bands, you don't always hear a lot of conversations except when there is a contest, but because 65% of all of the amateurs in the USA only has a Technician class license, and because it is open most every day to somewhere, 10 is actually one of the best if you want to be a HF operator with just a technician class license.

2m FM, the repeater does all the work and the only people you talk to are the ones within earshot of the repeater. There are some linked repeater systems out there that are designed to make it appear as if you are a big time operator using VOIP, but when you get beyond the part of just talking, you will realize that those people aren't real hams. I don't know of anyone that doesn't already know how to talk on a cell phone or use some type of internet, so I don't know what significance it has to talk VOIP or locally on a repeater.

At least with 10 meters, the people you talk to are all your antenna to their antenna and your radio and antenna does all of the work. It is real hard to get any kind of exposure to amateur radio when all you have is a 2m radio...

Might I suggest that you drop the CB radio lingo and learn more ham jargon, and not seventy three's. Skip doesn't mean anything to a ham.. Atmospherics are a condition where propagation exists in one or more directions, and with 10 meters it is dependant upon the weather both terrestrial and solar and the time of day.. NO you are not going to hear much if anything if there is a radio black out or flares..

Many of the HAM operators in this area stay on the Simplex channels on 2 meter. It all has it's positives and negatives I would say. Thanks for all the good info. My Sirio 27 11 meter will work nicely on 10 meter when I move in that direction.

One can buy a simple 10m mobile radio for around $100 that will work just fine. They are type accepted, so don't let some tell you that they are illegal
"The Uniden, Magnum, and Ranger are the best; but even a Galaxy 77, 88, and 99 will work out just fine too."

Bad advice, this guy doesn't know what he is talking about!

The FCC has long determined radios like the Galaxys' and many others like them that have 10 meter frequencies are also channelized and are easily converted for CB use as well. Due to those facts, The FCC has determined that these radio's need to be type accepted which none of them yet have been and probably never will be. This process of type acceptance assures equipment meets specifications of specific radio services. Once type accepted, a radio can be legally used on that specific service. Some radios are type-accepted across multiple services.

All radio services with the exception of the Amateur radio service require type-accepted equipment.

Also, In the United States, ALL commercially produced radios need an FCC approval to be sold in the U.S. Depending on the type, frequencies used, and other technical specifications, different processes are used. That's a fact that the people who violate the rules can't understand.

Even legitimate amateur radios can't be sold in the U.S. until they have FCC approval. The approval process is an evaluation by the FCC laboratories to determine if a particular radio meets the standards of a type or class of radio being marketed along with other transmitter technical data like meeting spurious emission requirements by FCC regulations.

NONE OF ANY GALAXY 10 METER RADIOS OR OTHER 10 METER "EXPORT" RADIOS HAVE A TYPE ACCEPTANCE OR AN FCC APPROVAL! THAT'S A FACT!!!

Therefore these radios are illegal to be sold in the US. and according to the rules even use.

Section 302(b) of the Communications Act provides that “[n]o person shall manufacture,

import, sell, offer for sale, or ship devices or home electronic equipment and systems, or use devices,
which fail to comply with regulations promulgated pursuant to this section.

Section 2.803(a)(1) of the Commission’s implementing regulations provides that “no
person shall sell or lease, or offer for sale or lease (including advertising for sale or lease), or import, ship,
or distribute for the purpose of selling or leasing or offering for sale or lease, any radio frequency device
unless: n the case of a device subject to certification, such device has been authorized by the
Commission in accordance with the rules in this chapter and is properly identified and labeled....”

Dual use CB and amateur radios may not be certificated under the Commission’s rules.
Section 95.655(a) of the rules specifically states: “…([CB] Transmitters with frequency capability for the
Amateur Radio Services…will not be certificated.).”7 Accordingly, such devices cannot legally be
imported or marketed in the United States.8

Quoted from FCC citation: http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2011/DA-11-5A1.html

The Ranger 2950 series of radios has recently been determined to be a legitimate amateur radio according to my telephone conversation with the mid-west FCC field office director James Roop on this very subject. But, this radio still hasn't received an FCC approval for sale yet. This is the only "export" radio I would use at my station and I do for 10 meter FM.

This issue has long been beat to death yet some people are so ignorant on this subject and refuse to accept the facts. The ones who argue against it are usually unlicensed operators.

This thread was a for advice on a good 10 meter radio to use and is posted in the General Ham radio discussion section. Advice given here from posters was and should be for legitimate amateur radios. This forum has an export radio section where one can recommend those radios for people who use them.

Last edited:
Bad advice, this guy doesn't know what he is talking about!

The FCC has long determined radios like the Galaxys' and many others like them that have 10 meter frequencies are also channelized and are easily converted for CB use as well. Due to those facts, The FCC has determined that these radio's need to be type accepted which none of them yet have been and probably never will be. This process of type acceptance assures equipment meets specifications of specific radio services. Once type accepted, a radio can be legally used on that specific service. Some radios are type-accepted across multiple services.

All radio services with the exception of the Amateur radio service require type-accepted equipment.

Also, In the United States, ALL commercially produced radios need an FCC approval to be sold in the U.S. Depending on the type, frequencies used, and other technical specifications, different processes are used. That's a fact that the people who violate the rules can't understand.

Even legitimate amateur radios can't be sold in the U.S. until they have FCC approval. The approval process is an evaluation by the FCC laboratories to determine if a particular radio meets the standards of a type or class of radio being marketed along with other transmitter technical data like meeting spurious emission requirements by FCC regulations.

NONE OF ANY GALAXY OR OTHER "EXPORT" RADIOS HAVE A TYPE ACCEPTANCE OR A FCC APPROVAL! THAT'S A FACT!!!

Therefore these radios are illegal to be sold in the US.

The Ranger 2950 series of radios has recently been determined to be a legitimate amateur radio according to my telephone conversation with the mid-west FCC field office director James Roop on this very subject. But, this radio still hasn't received an FCC approval for sale yet. This is the only "export" radio I would use at my station and I do for 10 meter FM.

This issue has long been beat to death yet some people are so ignorant on this subject and refuse to accept the facts. The ones who argue against it are usually unlicensed operators.

This thread was a for advice on a good 10 meter radio to use and is posted in the General Ham radio discussion section. Advice given here from posters was and should be for legitimate amateur radios. This forum has an export radio section where one can recommend those radios for people who use them.

You are correct, you can go to google and pull up a list of all the radios that the FCC consider illegal. Being a HAM operator a person definitely does not want to have something like that hooked up. I was thinking more of a ham radio for 10 meter or one that covers many bands. Only drawback is when the budget allows.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.