• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question on 10 meter HAM purchase

I know some may disagree with it but I believe the issue lies in the cb radio frequencies, not the ham end of it. These cb radios are being pulled from trucks crossing into Canada as we speak from the articles I have read.

I know some may disagree with it but I believe the issue lies in the cb radio frequencies, not the ham end of it. These cb radios are being pulled from trucks crossing into Canada as we speak from the articles I have read.
Which makes then perfectly legal for ham use. A cb'er caught with one has no leagal use of it and there for it is implied that it was used out of band but a ham does have leagal use of part of it. Now yes they may be illlegal to import.

With a HAM license I would not want to have one hooked up if and when the FCC came to do an inspection. For cb from what I understand unless you are causing quite an interference with other systems or neighbors, businesses etc. they pretty much just leave cb alone. Perhaps someone could comment more on this. Thanks everyone for input. That is how we get educated and learn about what is going on.

This is crap, what about the ham who builds his own? That's not type accepted? As long as you don't use them out of band they are perfectly fine to run.

Sorry to quote you, but if you carefully read the rules, it states that the rules are for commercially manufactured radios, not for homebrew ARS or 40 channel CB radios or even amplifiers that can be used in ARS only. In that regard, you are correct.

With a HAM license I would not want to have one hooked up if and when the FCC came to do an inspection. For cb from what I understand unless you are causing quite an interference with other systems or neighbors, businesses etc. they pretty much just leave cb alone. Perhaps someone could comment more on this. Thanks everyone for input. That is how we get educated and learn about what is going on.

Your correct!

I would stick with the sound advice given earlier on good entry level radios would be like the Icom 718 or Yeasu 450D if you can afford one.

I did suggest earlier one of the Ranger 2950 series radios for an affordable good 10 meter radio. Even though I been told these are legitimate ARS radios, it is still in a gray area since there isn't a FCC approval yet but that's up to Ranger to provide a radio for evaluation. But as a licensed ham, I wouldn't be too concerned about using it within the range of your license.

Last edited:
Sorry to quote but find that part

I don't have time right now to do the exact research, but,

Isn't it obvious enough anytime a manufacture of ARS radios puts out a new model, you will usually see it advertised but there will be a disclaimer stating this device hasn't been approved for sale by the FCC ?

If you check HRO website for the new Icom7850 , you will see this disclaimer on the first paragraph of the item description.

"This radio is not been approved by the FCC at this time. This listing is informational only and is preliminary
."
http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=71-001813

The new Yaesu 991 has just been approved by the FCC for sale.
http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/...-portable-transceiver-approved-by-fcc.177517/

If a radio contains a microprocessor, it must be certificated (not "certified", and not "type accepted" or "approved" either) to the requirements of Part 15 of 47 CFR for radiated signals from that device. Few, if any, homebrew ham rigs use microprocessors. Therefore, no certification is necessary. Those new transceivers with the disclaimer on the advertising copy haven't been certificated to Part 15 as of the time the advertisement went to press.

There are some linked repeater systems out there that are designed to make it appear as if you are a big time operator using VOIP, but when you get beyond the part of just talking, you will realize that those people aren't real hams. I don't know of anyone that doesn't already know how to talk on a cell phone or use some type of internet, so I don't know what significance it has to talk VOIP or locally on a repeater.

At least with 10 meters, the people you talk to are all your antenna to their antenna and your radio and antenna does all of the work. It is real hard to get any kind of exposure to amateur radio when all you have is a 2m radio...
I really can't believe no one has said anything about your statement that those people "aren't real hams" because they have chosen to use a repeater?? I don't know what you got going on by you but around my qth we have a number of old guys that are very knowledgeable about all types of ham radio from hf to atv to satellite work and digital modes that USE REPEATERS. Does this make them not "real hams" ? I started out my haming on vhf and learned a lot listening to some of the local machines. Sure it's more fun to work DX on the hf bands now but this is not for everyone. That is what makes amateur radio such a great hobby. There are many different avenues to wonder down and find your niche. One of my old friends from my little town put together a uhf machine that worked great. He spent tons of time and money to make his repeater one awesome system. He also happens to be one of the biggest hf contest stations around. I would never consider him not a "real ham" because he used a repeater... just my 2 cents

Last edited:
I agree with you for the most part Blackcat. All forms of amateur communication is just that, amateur communiation.

I seldom use local repeaters but I'm glad they are there and grateful to the many that maintain them.

I think IRLP is kind of cool because you do use a radio. I have played with that a little.

I do draw the line on Echo link since there are smart phone apps to let you use your smart phone to call other amateur stations. To me, it's no different then calling someone up on a telephone. That's my opinion though.

There are many digital modes to communicate with other amateurs that don't interest me, but I still respect them as part of our hobby.

I think it's all good having a wide range of communication modes to play with.

But I wonder if maybe some people feel threatend by some of these modes that it may someday replace our beloved HF communications, I doubt it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.