• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio interfernce 7 days a week 12 hours a day!

radioman24

Jul 19, 2009
I need some reall good advice, I have been into cb radio since 1994 I love the hobby I have spent ten's of thousand's of dollars on it.

So I setup up my base station again after I took a break for like 3 month's I have a galaxy Saturn turbo and put up a new sirio vector 4000 antenna

and since day 1 I get 9lbs of noise with a slight hum it starts from 6 am till 6pm 7 day's a week, so I went to my neighbor's house to my left and my right both wre very nice and helpful I had thought maybe it was a timer for a sprinkler system or a pool pump I ruled all those out.

now come's the people behind me I went there once and asked him if he had any new electronics,plasma t.v etc he said no so I went back a few weeks later right off the bat he was very mean like I was buggin him I was polite the entire time I had said okay I am still getting this noise and I went to every other neighbors house and they helped me out and it was none of them I than asked him do you have anything on timers his answer was I have no idea his wife or girlfriend said our sprinklers are I said when do they start and do off all he said was sometime in the morning and sometime in the evening than she said look your problem is not our's, so what else can I do without them feeling like they have to get the law involved?? I ask cause I cant talk nor hear anything from 6am to 6pm and it sucks cause that's good skip talk time:(

I feel like they could be growing pot, but how do I prove it??

Send an anonymous letter asking if they are growing pot. If they are, it might freak them out and get rid of the evidence.

What if they're growing legally, IIRC AZ is a medical use state.If not, I'd think it would be hypocritical to turn someone's illegal activity in so your illegal activity would benefit,.

I need some reall good advice, I have been into cb radio since 1994 I love the hobby I have spent ten's of thousand's of dollars on it.

So I setup up my base station again after I took a break for like 3 month's I have a galaxy Saturn turbo and put up a new sirio vector 4000 antenna

and since day 1 I get 9lbs of noise with a slight hum it starts from 6 am till 6pm 7 day's a week, so I went to my neighbor's house to my left and my right both wre very nice and helpful I had thought maybe it was a timer for a sprinkler system or a pool pump I ruled all those out.

now come's the people behind me I went there once and asked him if he had any new electronics,plasma t.v etc he said no so I went back a few weeks later right off the bat he was very mean like I was buggin him I was polite the entire time I had said okay I am still getting this noise and I went to every other neighbors house and they helped me out and it was none of them I than asked him do you have anything on timers his answer was I have no idea his wife or girlfriend said our sprinklers are I said when do they start and do off all he said was sometime in the morning and sometime in the evening than she said look your problem is not our's, so what else can I do without them feeling like they have to get the law involved?? I ask cause I cant talk nor hear anything from 6am to 6pm and it sucks cause that's good skip talk time:(

There are so many things that could cause that, assuming it's a pot growing operation is a giant leap in the dark. Get your self an old handheld AM/FM radio (the music radio station type) set it for AM and go low on the dial and listen to the static. Then walk around your yard or neighborhood and see where the signal is strongest.

Reactions: 1 person
why don't you just get outside about 5:55 AM and see what turns on at 6:00?
it may take a few days to rule out certain houses.

I doubt it is a sprinkler. look for lights to turn on @6:00

take the handheld AM radio with you too.

CK,

i believe that thread was meandering off in a few different directions, and i think now he is asking about what to do about the particular neighbors, whereas before he was asking about grounding his antenna.

radioman,
i think road squawker has a good suggestion.

you have a watch or phone that has a clock on it, so using your radio, note the exact time the noise starts and stops.

then for the next few mornings you go outside a few minutes beforehand, and try to notice what comes on or off at that time.

i REALLY!!!!!! dont think its sprinklers, as a sprinkler timer will come on only for the duration of the watering cycle.
that should not be more than an hour or so even if its a drip system.
you, like i, live in the desert and water conservation is a big deal.
so, unless they are watering their lawn/ plants for 12 hours straight (which would be pretty noticeable from the huge river of water coming from their yard into the gutter!) then its not a sprinkler system.

if you have determined that nothing outside is turning on or off in your vicinity, and you still strongly believe that something inside a particular neighbor's house is causing the interference; i would write them a very polite letter informing them of the FCC part 15 regulations and their legal responsibilities with regards to it.
make sure you put in the letter that you have not contacted any authorities, and that you do not want to go that route unless you have no other options.

stating that in the letter will go a long way in making them want to work with you to find a solution. be very careful how you word things as you do not want to come off as threatening in any way.
the worst thing you can do is make enemies with one of your neighbors!

the legality of your CB station isnt really at issue here, as their interference would preclude you from using your station whether its legal or not.

that being said, if you are going to start a process that might end up with a letter being sent to the FCC on your behalf or theirs, i would get that 2995, and any other illegal equipment out of my house for the time being.
put it all in a friends garage or something.

set up a perfectly legal station and just try to use that until this all gets resolved.

honestly, this could all be resolved rather easily with a few snap on ferrite beads, so you might mention this in your letter.
tell them you would be willing to buy some if they would be willing to try and use them in the correct manner.

i really believe a letter is the way to go, as its very non-confrontational, as long as you dont word it that way.
good luck,
LC

Personally, I think the first rule of thumb is to rule yourself out first. If you can temporarily run your radio on a car battery or an UPS (Uninterruptible Power System), cut the power to your house and see if you can still hear the interference.

Assuming you're not the source of the interference, I'd pick up a handheld CB with a directional antenna and try to locate the source.

make a df loop as shown in the arrl antenna book, you don't need the vertical sensing antenna unless you are foxhunting,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/ukmudduck/P1010116.jpg

i have used mine to find noise several times for friends,
one occasion armed with a ft817 and my loop i pinpointed the noise and told him it is a couple of feet to the left of the front door of the house across the road,

i asked if there was a mains socket there in these houses, he said yes, i said probably bpl router plugged in that socket,

turned out they were on holiday, a phone call to a relative confirmed they just had broadband installed and the bpl router was plugged in that socket,
it wiped the whole of hf out 50-100ft around the house but dropped off rapidly after that,

so far there has not been a source of noise i could not pinpoint including the crap that comes down next doors phone line from the pole on the corner,

you can find it using a rig with rf gain, battery and loop,

good luck i know how annoying disabling noise can be.

There are so many things that could cause that, assuming it's a pot growing operation is a giant leap in the dark. Get your self an old handheld AM/FM radio (the music radio station type) set it for AM and go low on the dial and listen to the static. Then walk around your yard or neighborhood and see where the signal is strongest.

not really since the RFI occurs at the same time each day for 12 hours at a time.

Possible that they have those remote sprinklers. I know that can cause interference but other than that I don't really know.

Personally, I think the first rule of thumb is to rule yourself out first. If you can temporarily run your radio on a car battery or an UPS (Uninterruptible Power System), cut the power to your house and see if you can still hear the interference.

Assuming you're not the source of the interference, I'd pick up a handheld CB with a directional antenna and try to locate the source.

Totally in agreement here... nothing worse than it being YOU making the noise and griping at someone else about it.

RT307

Totally in agreement here... nothing worse than it being YOU making the noise and griping at someone else about it.

RT307

Several years ago I was getting a tremendous very wideband signal wiping out the bottom part of 6m. It was a horrible raspy tone with a continuous carrier.To make matters worse there was a really good opening on 6m at the time. As I rotated the six element 6m yagi I got the strongest signal when aimed directly at the neighbors house.To confirm this I rotated it so the neighbor's house was in the deep null of the pattern. Sure enough it was in the right direction. I was fuming mad and was getting ready to go over and ask him what was going on.As I headed out across the lawn with a handheld scanner in hand I happened to look back at the tower and paused for a moment. Not only was the yagi pointed directly at the neighbors house it was also pointed directly over top of my own house. The plot thickened. In the end it was a kids remote controlled toy that had the remote locked on from being tossed into a large toy chest in my own house. Good thing I didn't quite make it over to the neighbors. :blushing:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.