• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Recomend me where to send my rci 2950dx for tune/ repair

cjruger

Aug 13, 2012
Im not sure if its the conditions latly or what but seem to not be recieving lsb properly. Looking to send it out for tune up somewhere

First I would double check everything, radio settings, mic, coax, antenna, power cord, and so on just to rule out the things you have control over. Then get with another local sidebander and talk on the radio and see what you think.

At this point if you are certain the radio needs work then there are several places that do good work. (in no order)

1) DTB Radio
2) Bob's cb
3) Custom cb Radio's
4) 8541 Electronics

Here is a link from RCI on repair shops as well.

Out of Warranty Repair Information

First I would double check everything, radio settings, mic, coax, antenna, power cord, and so on just to rule out the things you have control over. Then get with another local sidebander and talk on the radio and see what you think.

At this point if you are certain the radio needs work then there are several places that do good work. (in no order)

1) DTB Radio
2) Bob's cb
3) Custom cb Radio's
4) 8541 Electronics

Here is a link from RCI on repair shops as well.

Out of Warranty Repair Information

Thanks for info, Bobs doesnt take mail ins now, i called them. I did communicate with local on 273850lsb. I was tuned to 273824 he said i sounded great and he was on freq. so i guess my numbers are off. I had good dx contacts today in dominican , carribean, brazil yesterday. Some im 10 meters seemed to be on freq. all reports say sound good just seems my readout is not accurite or drifting

Thanks for info, Bobs doesnt take mail ins now, i called them. I did communicate with local on 273850lsb. I was tuned to 273824 he said i sounded great and he was on freq. so i guess my numbers are off. I had good dx contacts today in dominican , carribean, brazil yesterday. Some im 10 meters seemed to be on freq. all reports say sound good just seems my readout is not accurite or drifting

Sounds like you just need an alignment then.

With a little help, you could easily get it back on frequency that would be close enough for government work.

We are standing by to help you in your quest. It'll be easy.

If you have a set of ceramic small screwdrivers, or non metallic alignment tools and a good known radio / hf receiver you can set the oscillators and "zero beat" it to get it pretty darned close. Let us know. Also let us know too if the clarifier was locked in or not. If you want to tackle this..we need to know that as well.

This sounds like something i want to try but afraid ill screw it up. I dont have another hf radio other than a galaxy 949 dx. Will that do? And how will this work? How to i tell if the clarifer is unlocked? I can prob make up necissary tools, i have a full machine shop at my disposal

In the meantime, you can operate split to compensate for your off frequency situation.

Regarding your clarifier, ask your locals if your transmit frequency changes as you slowly turn your clarifier as you transmit. If it does, then it's unlocked. If it stays the same, your golden, as an unlocked clarifier on a 2950 is totally unnecessary.
Where's your location? Maybe a forum member is close and can help you adjust your transmit frequency during a QSO.

If your a machinist, then you'll be able to pull this off. Unless your a CNC operator, lol.

If you check out the complete alignment procedures (all 3 steps) you can see that a good tech will earn his 45 dollars. A 2950 is a complex radio, if you want close, or good enough, half a$$, average, ok sounding, then by all means go for it. That's all i'm saying.

Ranger RCI-2950 Service Manual

Reactions: 1 person
Don't forget two way shipping, insurance and the long wait.

$$$

If it just needs a slight transmit adjustment wiggle and the results make you happy, then you saved some green. If not, send it to a tech. At least you tried, and as long as you turned the right pot and nothing else, no harm done.

Don't forget two way shipping, insurance and the long wait.

$$$

If it just needs a slight transmit adjustment wiggle and the results make you happy, then you saved some green. If not, send it to a tech. At least you tried, and as long as you turned the right pot and nothing else, no harm done.

What didnt make sense is that i seemed to be transmitting right on freq with the local but i was tuned to 273824 to recieve him.

If you check out the complete alignment procedures (all 3 steps) you can see that a good tech will earn his 45 dollars. A 2950 is a complex radio, if you want close, or good enough, half a$$, average, ok sounding, then by all means go for it. That's all i'm saying.

Ranger RCI-2950 Service Manual

I read that yesterday and stopped when it said you need a scope. I can do the multi meter stuff but dont have a scope

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.