• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Roof mounted Wilson 1000

And why not?

A Wilson 1000 mag mount consists of the whip, the screwable coil base, and then the magnetic base.

You can remove the coil base from the magnet base, and it screws on. There is an SO 239 connector in the magnet base and a PL 259 in the coil.

do you have a way to keep the so239 from grounding out to your roof? i think this is one thing that comes with the roof mount kit, that and the mount covers are different.

here is an idea of a heavy duty mount by breedlove if you don't like the wilson thu roof mount kit.
Sheet metal Backing Plates

on edit: scroll down to the bottom of page to see wilson 5k mount.

do you have a way to keep the so239 from grounding out to your roof? i think this is one thing that comes with the roof mount kit, that and the mount covers are different.

here is an idea of a heavy duty mount by breedlove if you don't like the wilson thu roof mount kit.
Sheet metal Backing Plates

on edit: scroll down to the bottom of page to see wilson 5k mount.

Those look good...now on the SO239 connection....yes the base (the part with the threads) would be grounded against the truck's sheet metal....but the center portion would be separated by a nylon insulator....correct me if i am wrong but I believe this is the way an antenna for a HF radio is supposed to work?

yeah that is what you want, sorry i worded wrong.

i have been trying to find the diagram that shows the permanent mount through a roof so that I can post it but i can't seem to find it, may be some one else has it and that would help you out.

the cover would be the other difference you would need to work out somehow.

True, someone told me about taking a PL259 connector, removing the center pin, soldering on a penny and then covering the outside with some sort of a liquid rubber. They said it makes a good rain cap for an SO239.

that would work for a cover when you take the antenna off, you can also get those screw on cap covers at a ham fest for a buck or less.

i was talking about the cover such as the mag mount cover that stays in place all the time to keep moisture and such out.

i still looking for diagram to show wilson permanent mount...

found it

i believe this is the permanent mount, hope it is viewable.

Attachments

• wilsonexp.jpg
    wilsonexp.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 87
i think it's doable, sturdiness would be a concern and of course neccesity is the mother of invention. Find a big enough star washer and scrape underside of roof real well for adequate ground. create a rubber gasket and a stand off (which is probably a little sturdier in order to tighten antenna down real good and prevent it from rocking back and force.

i have not read the entire thread, why are you wanting this as opposed to the mag mount, is capacitance to ground bad and you have high swr?

No it's because I've been informed that a hard mounted antenna will have less noise than a mag mount plus you don't have the ugly looking wire to be seen.

And the reason why I didn't want to buy a Wilson roof mount is because money is tight and I don't exactly have $70 to spend.

HOWEVER I do have a Wilson 1000 mag mount with a removable base.....and also I can get one of those SO239's from Radio Shack for $3.69. Plus I have some RG8X coax I bought a long time ago from a truck stop.

So I figure it like this...I can install the SO239 in the roof of my truck and seal it up with some clear RTV underneath. I can then cut off one end of the RG8X and solder it onto the SO239 in the roof and run that into my radio.

I can then unscrew the coil base from the Wilson and screw it on the SO239 in the roof.

I'll hang onto the mag mount in case I ever wanted to reunite the coil base and the mag base.

i understand the economy is tough right now, i am saving for a ham radio but don't know i'll ever get there with these fuel prices!

your idea is good, but my concern is the design, wilson has those parts measured and fabricated just right other wise the whip will well whip back and forth working everything loose and causing worse interference.

do some measuring on the parts like the so239 you plan to buy to replace the actual one from mag mount and be prepared to fabricate rubber gasket and or stand off plate in order to get things to fit right and prevent that thing from working it self loose.

Alot of folks go with the breedlove mounts for this reason, they are supposed to be a much sturdier design and incorporate plates on the bottom to help this swaying from warping roof and loosening the so239, especially those that run extra power.

I personally would wait a couple few months, save some bucks and go with a much sturdier proven design.

And why not?

A Wilson 1000 mag mount consists of the whip, the screwable coil base, and then the magnetic base.

You can remove the coil base from the magnet base, and it screws on. There is an SO 239 connector in the magnet base and a PL 259 in the coil.

If you want to drill a hole in the roof of your vehicle don't half ass it, buy the proper parts. If you can't spare $70 maybe you should buy just buy food and use the magnet mount because there won't be much of a difference. The only thing I ever noticed was a needle width improvement in transmit and less interference in the trucks electronics.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.