• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SB50 power pole crimper.

I've used this Butane Micro Torch on those crimps. You should be able to find for less than $10 if you shop around.

0141010.jpg
Doesn't the Hemp shops sell those for the crack pipe smokers? :ROFLMAO:

Those work great especially for quick outdoor solder jobs.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
A BIG soldering iron like the 80-100 watt stained glass irons from almost any hobby or hardware store works wonders on those large connectors. Also if you can find an OLD Weller D-550 gun.....not the new D-550's but the OLD ones, they are fantastic also. They have a LARGE tip and are 240/325 watts. I have an oldie but goodie and will never get rid of it.

An interesting oddity occured which on the surface would indicate a poor connection.

The display of the 2970N4 dims slightly when modulating in SSB modes. Kicker which confuses me is that it also dims in SSB mode when RF power is in its lowest setting. So surely it cant be current draw nor a bad connection , AM mode even on full power yelling Auddioooo draws tops 51 A with the screen display not dimming at all.

Cable length 4.5 ft 8 awg with inline 60A fuse added close to radio positive side. No connectors or plugs get warm during transmit.

Before the radio was connected to my 75A PSU via the 10inch of cord that hangs from the back of the radio so cable length was bare min.

Ive ordered some 8awg welders cable to see if that might help as current one is copper plated. Also do you recommend I keep the fuse inline ( home setup ) or remove it.

Ideally the power cable should be 6 awg , but I believe to change this would require desoldering and soldering of new power cord on amp board.

First YES!! keep the fuse inline. Without it a short could burn the radio up and maybe the house!! Second pretty much every 29xx series radio I have seen has the slight dimming of the display with modulation. Even my 2950DX with 30 watts out and 8ga. wire would dim slightly. I believe the issue is inside the radio and is nothing to really worry about.

First YES!! keep the fuse inline. Without it a short could burn the radio up and maybe the house!! Second pretty much every 29xx series radio I have seen has the slight dimming of the display with modulation. Even my 2950DX with 30 watts out and 8ga. wire would dim slightly. I believe the issue is inside the radio and is nothing to really worry about.

Cheers, any reason why it does it soley on SSB?

IMG_20170728_160405.jpg IMG_20170728_160322.jpg IMG_20170728_160305.jpg
SSB puts more strain on your power supply. Check for voltage drop at your power connection.

By the way, even before I joined this forum I read and researched via Google search engine ( general search not about radio dimming LOL ), I came across one of your posts which I remembered on another forums about AWG wire. You recommended welding cable, and yesterday I received pure copper welding cable and made another harness up for the radio, the dimming is much less now. And WOW, the weight of this 8 AWG compared to the 8 AWG copper coated is massive. I used my blow torch to solder the connections, all seems good now, just a very small dip in display when keying in SSB as compared to before.
The only time I did not get a dim in display was if I connected the 2 inches of harness from the back of the 2970N4 directly to power supply. I am sure in an ideal world, the best method would be to desolder the 8 guage from the 2970N4 and use welding 8 guage from radio to connector.

Now the only thing need doing is to replace the 4 inch stock power cord from the radio to the welding type, wish I knew how.

Cheers,

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.