1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Service Advisement On The S-400-12 Switching Power Supplies

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by Wire Weasel, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Wire Weasel

Wire Weasel
    Expand Collapse
    Senior Moment

Have 2 of these 30 amp supplies. Daily users. Awesome deal on ebay … blah blah you know them.

There's dust everywhere. Can't avoid it …. although it has been suggested to slide a leg of thin panty hose over the unit to keep dust out …. or rig your own filter.

One of mine experienced a dust buildup on the fan blades and it when it reached a critical point it put the fans blades off-balance making the fan suddenly hard-to-start and noisy.

Easy fix. The top comes right off and the fan is the only thing attached to the top. Open top and with a small brush, remove all the dust from both sides of the fan blades, then if you have it, blow off the fan with compressed air be sure to get into the little crack-space where the fan blade mounts onto the fan motor.

Fan operation right back to normal. S-400-12.jpg

Oatmeal likes this.

2. mechanic

mechanic
    Expand Collapse

Do these make noise or QRM on the radio's receive? I know many types of switch mode supplies are very noisy, I prefer the older transformer type also known as brute force type.
    Can the output voltage be upped to 13.8 or more?
    73 mechanic

3. Wire Weasel

Wire Weasel
    Expand Collapse
    Senior Moment

Hi mechanic … No these don't. They have been specifically filtered for use by radio guys. They are sold in the Radio Communications listings and state such filtering in the ads. Also there were other guys in our group who got them first so had local recommendation to go on. - 100% quiet electrically !!

Yes, they have a trimmer pot right on the front and both of mine will go a little over 15V. I run mine at 14.4 V and the draw-down under load is only a few hundredths of a volt !! - Rock solid stable !!

36amp surge and 30 amp continuous for only $67.00. Full 2 year warranty. Can't go wrong !!

These have been reviewed on here before if the section & threads survived the forum revamp ;)

Oatmeal likes this.
  4. BammBamm

BammBamm
    Expand Collapse
    Chicago's mudduck.....173 on the southside.

I use one with no issues.

5. mechanic

mechanic
    Expand Collapse

Looks like I'll have to try one.... Thanks!

73 mechanic

6. 222DBFL

222DBFL
    Expand Collapse

Yep might have to order one myself. Using an astron 20amp supply now and have even looked into building one myself but with the way work has been time is not on my side currently so buying is the easiest option. Thanks for all the info guys.

7. camaro1

camaro1
    Expand Collapse

I have one running a yaesu ft757 gxII and it works great

Oatmeal and 222DBFL like this.
  8. sdmahr

sdmahr
    Expand Collapse

I have one as well running a whole variety of radios in my shack with NO problems whatsoever. Heck of a bargain !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oatmeal and 222DBFL like this.
  9. 222DBFL

222DBFL
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the responses. Ordered one today, should be here Tuesday. For 69 dollars I will try one out!!

Oatmeal likes this.
  10. Tucker442

Tucker442
    Expand Collapse
    101E

Look around Ebay you can find one for less than 30 bucks just not with the power cord with the switch in it. Same unit just not with the frills

11. 222DBFL

222DBFL
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I wish I had the time right now as I would love to build my own supply, but with 4 kids and a job that keeps me busy as can be I will settle for this for now. For the money it will do for what I need. Not running big power, just radios at the moment. One of these days I will get time! For now the kids come first! Again thanks for all the replies, and god bless.

12. KD2GOE

KD2GOE
    Expand Collapse
    W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

if it is a "Mean well" don't get it it's junk and all I get is QRM from it.. the PSU's with the MegaWatt lable are good.

13. 222DBFL

222DBFL
    Expand Collapse

It's the mega watt S-400-12 that I just purchased myself, heard good things about them. Hopefully it will do the job! Should be okay!

camaro1 likes this.
  14. camaro1

camaro1
    Expand Collapse

the power cord with the built in switch is nice also.

15. curlyjo

curlyjo
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member

Made a quick and drity ON / OFF switch for free with left over stuff in the garage. Gain box, Light switch, Heavy duty cord from a power strip. Now need to clean it up with an Anderson pole setup. Works great. 20140823_162628.jpg

Oatmeal and binrat like this.