• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

sirio performer 5000

Sirio 5000 performer with magnetic mount

I have the Sirio 5000 performer and it works well. Low swr across my range of frequencies.(10, 11, 12 meters) I never thought that a mobile antenna would have that much bandwidth. I might need to re-tune at the high or low ends if I'm working DX but that is easy to do.

I use mag mounts on all of my vehicles and all of my mobile antennas. I won't drill a hole in the sheet metal of my cars or trucks. Not that there is anything wrong with permanent hard mounts. I consider cars and trucks to be disposable and don't like leaving equipment behind. If I decide to junk out a vehicle and I have a high output alternator I'll take it off and call a charity to come and get it and tell them what they need to do to get it running again. They can crush it or fix it, but they always appreciate the gift, and I enjoy the tax deduction.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm confused as to why you won't put a permanent hard mount in especially as you drive your vehicles til they die. A hard mount is £5 so hardly leaving megabucks behind.

I pucked my P5000 with a breedlove mount 2 years ago. Running RG213 and the stock 165 amp alternator with a twister 2x8 and i have talked all over the world on this thing.. All over the US Canada Australia the UK ect. I recently got serious about 26.915 so i had to retune my whip..I cut off a 102" steel whip drilled the top of the antenna out and i swear it has never talked or heard any better.SWR 1.0 on my mfj analyzer 50 ohms. I talked over 100 miles to a base station no skip several times. Best mobile ive ever had.. Two batterys..WORLD WIDE Mr 112 workn this yesterdays chevrolet in the smokey hills of TENN <More audio>(y)<can not stand it>

Attachments

• p5000.jpg
    p5000.jpg
    955.4 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: 1 person
Charlie Brown, was doing the mod to the antenna very hard, I am wanting to do a 102" whip on mine for the added strength of the whip, I know it needs to be the same length as the factory one but I am unsure as to drilling the hole out. Was this very hard to do or an easy job? Thanks for any responses

Charlie Brown,
Ooooo... very nice choice in cars! Just like mine except for the trim. And this is 'off topic' so will keep it short. Did you have any problems with the Chevy dealer when you added that second battery?

About making that antenna 'stronger'. Keep in mind that everything associated with the antenna, the mount, what it's mounted to, etc, will 'absorb' the results of that 'stronger' whip. The whip may not bend but what about all the other stuff supporting that whip?
- 'Doc

Charlie Brown, was doing the mod to the antenna very hard, I am wanting to do a 102" whip on mine for the added strength of the whip, I know it needs to be the same length as the factory one but I am unsure as to drilling the hole out. Was this very hard to do or an easy job? Thanks for any responses

Nothn to it.. I took the set screws out and held it in my hand and drilled it right out.. Of course you will loose the little ears at the top of the hole but theres enough left to hold it.. Made a very noticeable difference in audio.

Charlie Brown,
Ooooo... very nice choice in cars! Just like mine except for the trim. And this is 'off topic' so will keep it short. Did you have any problems with the Chevy dealer when you added that second battery?

About making that antenna 'stronger'. Keep in mind that everything associated with the antenna, the mount, what it's mounted to, etc, will 'absorb' the results of that 'stronger' whip. The whip may not bend but what about all the other stuff supporting that whip?
- 'Doc

No problems. Mine is a 2008 so my warranty is out. I have a 6x6 plate under my puck so it doesnt move much but that is a good point.. The factory whip was much less dense so the whip actually bends more in the wind than the factory one did. Great antennas man.. I held skip conditions and carried on a conversation with a guy in Missouri while driving thru SC for over an hour once.. It was like we were following eachother down the interstate

Awesome results with this set up. and i did wanna mention in 2008 chevy started out sourcing their alternators for these cars and they are made in ITALY as well lol. There is no modifing them at all. There is no larger option for them either as they run thru the computer and it knows.. I went thru a big ordeal wanting 200 amps under the hood only to find out that my stock alternator was putting out 165 amps so the two batterys runs the 2x8 with no issues... I put a 10 farad capacitor between the batterys and the amp (one of those car stereo ones) and i ran my hot wire from that to my radio.. It filters all the fuel pump noise ect right out of the radio. Its as quiet as a mouse on the road. Unbelievable...! thanx for letting me share

Tom^^ ab v c^^

A stronger whip is the last thing you want. You want one that bends because if it doesn't, the force is transferred to the mount.

Drilling the hole out is easy.

1) Work out roughly where you want it. Use some masking tape and put a X of masking tape where the hole is going to be.

2) Measure the exact point you want the hole and mark it on the tape.

3) Repeat 2.

4) Repeat 2 just one more time to be sure.

5) Make sure that there's nothing under where the hole is going to be the drill can go through such as the headlining. Remove it or drop it down.

6) Repeat 2.

7) With a small drill such as a 1/8", drill a pilot hole.

8) Drill the hole to the size you want.

9) File off any burrs on both sides of the hole.

And then put the mount in and continue.

A stronger whip is the last thing you want. You want one that bends because if it doesn't, the force is transferred to the mount.

Drilling the hole out is easy.

1) Work out roughly where you want it. Use some masking tape and put a X of masking tape where the hole is going to be.

2) Measure the exact point you want the hole and mark it on the tape.

3) Repeat 2.

4) Repeat 2 just one more time to be sure.

5) Make sure that there's nothing under where the hole is going to be the drill can go through such as the headlining. Remove it or drop it down.

6) Repeat 2.

7) With a small drill such as a 1/8", drill a pilot hole.

8) Drill the hole to the size you want.

9) File off any burrs on both sides of the hole.

And then put the mount in and continue.

Man I used over 6 feet of a 102" whip from the top down it has to bend.... ? Least it looks like its bending at 80 mph lol..

Last edited:
It flops around like a SS 102" whip.
It's practically the same diameter whip as a 102".

I haven't hard mounted mine yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    664.3 KB · Views: 8

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.