• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Snake Radio Customs calls out Mike's Radio Repair LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
You misread what I said, I'm pretty damn sure Screwdriver @ BELLS CB can read schematics (made an edit for clarity).

Some presentations are performed in such a manner that, (not to mislead) but to show the radio in the best light, example watt meter vs. 'scope, one could yell while looking at the watt meter, and whisper while looking at the scope (not wanting to show much distortion).
Is that such a bad bad thing? You, yourself have mentioned cleaning up the signal using mic gain.

I don't accuse Bells CB of doing this, only that I have seen a SLIGHT difference in the "AUDIOOO" while filming the 'scope, I'm sticking to what I said, most CB'ers want swing.. Even if it is not "spectrally pure".

Bells CB is not a BS artist, he is a reputable tech giving people what they truly want.
Most people are perfectly happy with "lowering the mic gain", now if the radio is tuned factory they could be screaming into the mic (w/ gain all the way up) and never be happy, that is why people pay money for a "tune-up".

A simple re-cap means more to me than a $1000, SRC resto-mod.
I think you have a good grip on what is going on here, and you didn't make these videos. This was really directed more towards cb kidd and not you LF.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Bells does good work but he's swamped. I called him last year about a radio I had to get looked at and he said he was so far behind it would be 9 mo to a year. Wow. Guess he's pretty good if he's backlogged that far behind.

I think from what I've read Bell's is a good tech, however if a customer wants loud , he'll still oblige.

Yes Leapfrog, it was truck cb sales.
Yes he is a good technician, one who will meet certain requirements upon request.
Not someone who is going to "swing-kit" a radio for watt meter presentations with no knowledge of the circuit bias, i.m.d. and so forth.

One can align your radio with proper equipment, and the other knows how to google "CB radio mods"...
That is what I'm implying; thank you Limey, for clearing the fog.

I don't know Screwdriver and have never been to Bells CB, also I've never gotten a radio from him, so my testimonial is purely subjective, and just the vibe I get, he gives his customers what they want, honestly I don't know him, and cannot attest to his technical ability, but scouring youtube may hint towards the facts, like his videos of installing RFX 75 or 150, who else on youtube is showing the modification process?

Seems to me Screwdriver is plenty capable, while the other guy never shows his process.... because it's bullsh*t, clip-this & spread-that - "add a diode here", type non-sense JUST LIKE JOKER, and it's never verified on ANY real test-equipment, just a damn watt meter, pure SNAKE OIL to lure in the newbies (innocent people who don't know most radios don't perform like that in most cases) or people who just want POWAH. BOTTOM LINE: they are taking advantage of people by using GHOST WATTS and illusionary presentations.

And Brian, if you read this, it's not an attack on you personally, but if you are going to sell CB radios with "performance tunes" you'd be better off making sure they produce a damn sine wave, and are aligned correctly; unless in fact you are purposefully building a "key-down competition radio" (NASTY saw teeth wave forms, mostly) and the customer knows beforehand that it is going to bleed like a stuck pig (in-band or out-of) once they switch on the foot warmer. ;)(y)

Last edited:
Reactions: Old_Crow
Or constant rants about old radios, bla bla bla.... I can't bear to watch more than a few minutes of snakes videos.. The guy whines too much.

Yes he is a good technician, one who will meet certain requirements upon request.
Not someone who is going to "swing-kit" a radio for watt meter presentations with no knowledge of the circuit bias, i.m.d. and so forth.

One can align your radio with proper equipment, and the other knows how to google "CB radio mods"...
That is what I'm implying; thank you Limey, for clearing the fog.

I don't know Screwdriver and have never been to Bells CB, also I've never gotten a radio from him, so my testimonial is purely subjective, and just the vibe I get, he gives his customers what they want, honestly I don't know him, and cannot attest to his technical ability, but scouring youtube may hint towards the facts, like his videos of installing RFX 75 or 150, who else on youtube is sharing that inner peek a the modification process?

Seems to me Screwdriver is plenty capable, the other guy never shows his process.... because it's bullsh*t, clip-this & spread-that - "add a diode here", type non-sense JUST LIKE JOKER, and it's never verified on ANY real test-equipment, just a damn watt meter, pure SNAKE OIL to lure in the newbies (innocent people who don't know most radios don't perform like that in most cases) or people who just want POWAH. BOTTOM LINE: they are taking advantage of people by using GHOST WATTS and illusionary presentations.

And Brian, if you read this, it's not an attack on you personally, but if you are going to sell CB radios with "performance tunes" you'd be better off making sure they produce a damn sine wave, and are aligned correctly; unless in fact you are purposefully building a "key-down competition radio" (NASTY saw teeth wave forms, mostly) and the customer knows beforehand that it is going to bleed like a stuck pig (in-band or out-of) once they switch on the foot warmer. ;)(y)

No, thank you Leapfrog for the advice and help you've given in the past. I was merely going on what I've researched.

So Timmy is waging a downvote war on my latest videos.
He is just downvoting everything which is generating a lot of hits because he is clueless.
So if you feel inclined, upvote the s--t out of them :)
Either way it generates video hits and more people see them.

He lashed out today at another shop over selling a cobra 2000 that sold for more than his do.
He is losing his mind. Why does he care that another shop sold a radio for more?
Butthurt!!

Or because that radio was not washed out with a hose.

You decide! Movie at 100!
I hope Rakish does a show and this gets brought up. :)

Reactions: Old_Crow
SR: "a video would be even nicer of exactly how to do it im dyslexic and if things aren't clear i get frustrated so either do a video for me or draw an exact diagram of what wires with the colours go where and what traces do i cut please and do i leave that resistor block in on the selector cable side? " ...QUOTE FROM ONE OF THE EMAILS SENT TO MAC FROM TIMMY
(interesting the way he spells colors..the English way not the American way )

"techs" do as the customer requested..i am not a advocate of swing or amc/alc limiter disabling and refuse to do so in either second hand or new radios and never post how to do it ..
however it is big business in the usa so its stupid for a "tech" not to embrace that side of the business , even thou i cringe at emails asking me to do it and politely as possible advise them not to do so and insist i will not do it but once they have their radio its theirs to do it with it what they like.

i am glad my own country clipped limiters are a dirty word and the cbers that are left from the old days frown on anyone talking about it ..
different culture here to usa when it comes to splatter boxes (mainly because we are a ssb nation) ..and the population of cbers totals less than 100 nationwide now

Here in the states it's becoming more and more of a dirty word.
There are fewer and fewer CB chop shops like Timmy.
Even Timmy doesn't cut limiters anymore but he is still a radio butcher.

You hear Timmy in his videos denouncing limiter cutting but then he puts the radio out in his back yard and washes it with degreaser that I am told is "Purple Power"
So read the MSDS on this chemical:
http://www.clean-rite.com/msds/Purple Power 2010.pdf

Obviously it will react with Copper, Aluminum, and Galvanised metals.
And what does he do? Sprays it into a radio.

I received via email that there is another radio butcher that is now washing out radios lately. So these behaviors are learned from people like Snake Oil Customs.

Information is key. If people knew this was BAD for their radio they would not opt to get it done or make sure it is not done.
The beauty of CB is that the bar to entry is very low. Anyone can get on the air by visiting garage sales or flea markets and buying a used radio and antenna.
And those people entering should not be sucked into this nonsense.

So we need to make sure that these stay dirty words because liars and scammers are fighting to make them "clean words".

Reactions: Limeybastard
Timmy is a prime example of why you should not do drugs. He's so twitchy and hyper sensitive it's not even funny.

Radio Active Radios have been some of the dirtiest radios I've talked to in SSB mode. I've worked on one and it was quite a job to set it back straight.

I think that the problem is that they will take a export radio that has SSB and set it up for AM use and screw the radio out of SSB functionality in the process. But it is partially the customers that want an AB output bias with max AM swing. IMO they should stick to an AM only radios and let that transformer coupled radio do what it can do best by design - which is better than a SSB type radio for this purpose.

I hear some of these RAR guys say that their radios still sound good in SSB mode. What?!? Just who do they think they are kidding here? Surely not the serious SSBer. Sure not me; that's for certain. Sounds like puke; yet they have the nerve to say it works good on SSB. Couldn't be farther from the truth. Clueless!

No self-respecting tech here in the US will let a radio go out the door with the limiter removed. I personally refuse to do work for anyone that wants the limiter removed and I replace a missing limiter w/o asking the customers permission. Limiter removal s just bad juju ('medicine')!

No self-respecting tech here in the US will let a radio go out the door with the limiter removed. I personally refuse to do work for anyone that wants the limiter removed and I replace a missing limiter w/o asking the customers permission. Limiter removal s just bad juju ('medicine')!

So are you of the opinion that limiters being removed is starting to become a thing of the past here in the states?
Since I have been looking at CB butchers most of them claim to not cut limiters or mess with the second harmonic traps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.