1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Still a work in progress...

Discussion in 'Station & Mobile Pics' started by Blackcat630, Jan 30, 2017.

1. 6meter

6meter
    Expand Collapse

That tower represents a lot of your hard work and I hope brings you a ton of good DX. :)

Also just to be clear not trying to be snarky about your project..

Just looking at the wind load of the antenna plus including the wind load and weight of the mast and coax. Also thinking about two yagis that can torque the tower from side to side in the wind. Then the roughly 14 foot of mast above the tower and the 24 foot Imax gives a lot of vertical height for the tower to hold against wind.

Blackcat630 likes this.

2. Blackcat630

Blackcat630
    Expand Collapse

No "snarkieness taken" I appreciate your observation. I have considered the house bracket as a future project before the summer storm season arrives. One good thing is usually all the winds we get come out of the west so if it ever did fall it would come down on my house and not my neighbors. I would HATE to see this happen however so some structural reinforcement is definitely something to consider!

3. Strictly Business

Strictly Business
    Expand Collapse

I'm one who appreciates attention to detail and I have to say I'm impressed with yours. Very nice looking setup all the way around.

Blackcat630 likes this.
  4. my2995dx

my2995dx
    Expand Collapse

Looks good i know i have to fix mine this spring it rusted through all 3 legs that are cemented into ground but there is enought to weld it just got to fiqure out how I want to do it

5. Sonar

Sonar
    Expand Collapse

Excellent job my friend. The cement looks smoother than a baby's ass. The fact that you topped off that wonderful looking behemoth with a IMAX 2000 says a lot for that antenna. Excellent excellent excellent job. Congratulations. Nice station setup also. I have one of those boomer amplifiers. 4 x 1446 Palomar branded. Most if not all 11 meter amplifiers get a bad rap and rightfully deserved, but my experience with it has been very good. I use it for a backup. Never get any complaints as far as splatter or RFI to the neighbors. I once owned 4 of them. Sorry I sold 3 of them. I should have held onto two instead of one. You did a great job and I hope you are enjoying the fruits of your labor. 73 PS my iMac is about 7ft off the ground and I don't envey but surely would love to get my 2000 at the height of yours. Half the height would suffice but it's not possible. I'm happy with the 7ft. I could've been using a patio dipole at 3ft 8n height and am sure people have exactly that.

6. Blackcat630

Blackcat630
    Expand Collapse

Bummer! I have seen the install of tv antenna towers where they concreted the base even with the surrounding ground. Water then pooled up at the legs. Over time this rusted out the tower. Always a good idea to pour the concrete and have it raised up above ground level. Take 4 2x4s nail them together around your hole as a form.. Anyways...hopefully you can get something figured out. Good luck

Sonar likes this.
  7. Blackcat630

Blackcat630
    Expand Collapse

Thanks sonar! The cement turned out pretty good...wouldn't put say it's that smooth but it works. My buddy's dad is a brick layer and we had our pick of a variety of trowels. I realize that the Imax is not the best 11m vertical available but I needed something that will stay together at height and I like the fact that it's broadbaned. It's nice to have the ability to switch from horizontal to vertical on the higher hf bands. On 11m I have guys spread out in about a 30-40 mile radius and I have no problem chatting w them barefoot. I appreciate your comments. 73

8. ISLAND MAN

ISLAND MAN
    Expand Collapse

very nice setup congrats 73

Blackcat630 likes this.