• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Suggestions on who to tune my Galaxy 98VHP

Instead of de-tuning your radio. Upgrade it to 600watts PEP

Again I do not want you to think I am dogging you 4600, but I want to ask you some questions.

Do you know what the IMD of 4 X 2sc2879s is at 600 watts PEP?
Do you know what the IMD of 8 X 2sc 2879`s is at 800 watts PEP?
How much heat sink is on the chassis of the radio?
How much heat sink is on the chassis of the T/S 1600?
How much added stress is placed on the componets of the radio when upgraded to 4 X 2sc2879`s as compared to the reduced stress of running the radio at much lower levels used to drive the T/S 1600?

I often hear guys question why it is necessary to build a Ham amp that will do 3/4000 watts when 1500 is Legal limit.

The question can be answered with:

Increased reliably by not stressing the devices to the limit.
Running the devices at full bore causes increased heat, and heat is a killer of electronics, not just the devices themselfs, but every componet in the Amp ( or in this case radio )that see`s the added heat.

Lower IMD and harmonics, A 3000W amplifier operated at1500W output will almost always produce a cleaner signal than an 1500W amplifier operated at 1500W output. In many cases, enormously cleaner.
Most people don't spend thousands of dollars extra just to have less cash in the wallet, when a smaller amp would do.

I could go on, but I Know you are an intelligent person, and I am also sure you see the point that I am trying to make.

Boo has proposed a good set-up, that is capable of running at decent levels, with a clean signal, with out causing undo stress on system componets.

To just start over, and stuff 4 2879`s in a radio that is not made for it, seems to be a step backwards , to me at least.
See what I am getting at?

Jeff

I see what your getting at but the linear in the 98vhp I have was designed for the 4x2sc2879 pill. Plus it has 2 fans to dissipate the heat.

I talk and talk on my radio and it doesn't heat up much. especially on low. On high It does get a bit hot, but not hot enough to cook pancakes on it. :)

And on low It set at 100 watts deadkey doing about 525- 550 watts swing. It not quite the 4:1 ratio but it's close enough for me. It sounds awesome.

I could set it lower but I like the way it sounds this way. :)

And about the IMD of 4x2879's at 600 watts: yes feecell has explained to me. :)

still the original owner of the biggest Galaxy radio in the World!
600watts.

Last edited:
I dont see why the fuss on "Detuning" a 98VHP? Setting up the 98 to do 6watts on low power is not detuning.

The reason I like this setup is that I can turn the power knob down to low and have the radio perfectly matched to the TS.

I could also swith off the TS, and turn the power knob all the way up and have the max output that the 98vhp is capable of.

I dont consider this detuning a radio... after all... whats the use of the power knob if your not going to use it? I would actually be taking advantage of the power knob on the radio by allowing me to turn the radio down so that it will drive the TS perfectly.

And like freecell mentioned, if I am not able to get a good clean 6 watt carrier from the radio, I can setup a 3dB pad on a switch. Heck you could swap out the SPST switch in the Texas Star remote kit with a DPST and have the 3db pad come on with the Texas Star using the same switch.

I dont see why the fuss on "Detuning" a 98VHP? Setting up the 98 to do 6watts on low power is not detuning.

The reason I like this setup is that I can turn the power knob down to low and have the radio perfectly matched to the TS.

I could also swith off the TS, and turn the power knob all the way up and have the max output that the 98vhp is capable of.

I dont consider this detuning a radio... after all... whats the use of the power knob if your not going to use it? I would actually be taking advantage of the power knob on the radio by allowing me to turn the radio down so that it will drive the TS perfectly.

And like freecell mentioned, if I am not able to get a good clean 6 watt carrier from the radio, I can setup a 3dB pad on a switch. Heck you could swap out the SPST switch in the Texas Star remote kit with a DPST and have the 3db pad come on with the Texas Star using the same switch.

My only concern was for your enjoyment of your radio. If a 3db pad gets you what you want. I say go for it. De-tuning it without the 3db pad would not work properly. You would have had to much modulation at 6watts carrier and there isn't any way to tune the AMC to get your radio down to the modulation need to run the Texas Star properly without sacrificing the high end output of your radio, and I hate that to say the least.:)

Hopefully this will work for you. Please post back with your results. The Information would be valuable.

LOL... if it was that simple :) then this thread was a complete waste of time. :)

Still the original owner of the biggest Galaxy radio in the World!

"... if it was that simple then this thread was a complete waste of time."

hardly, since the mic gain is unrelated to the required input padding.

AudioShockWav : " That radio have a mic gain on it?"

Tell that to AudioShockWav he's the one that came up with the brilliant question. :)

Not dogging you AudioShockWav. Just steering freecells brilliance in the right direction. :)

Last edited:
I just bought a Galaxy 98vhp completely stock. I did the conversion myself (which was really easy) and I have been talking on her for a few weeks now. It sounds great from the factory. I am dead keying about 120 and peaking about 175 on the radios meter. I have had good reports on the way it sounds.

Now I am wanting to get a good tune done on her. I am just looking to get about 200 or so watts out of her, and then some good sounding audio. I plan on using it to push a Texas Star DX1600 in about a month or so. i figure the 98 will drive the DX1600 without having to have another amp in between them.

Who do you guys suggest i should send my 98VHP to so it will get a good tune. I dont want no crazy "super swing kits" or none of that junk... just a good solid tune to get a few more watts, and then tweak the audio on her. Give me some suggestions, and if prices (if you happen to know the prices).

Thanks everyone...
Out of the 160 technicians I have tried, the first one I would recommend would be Harddrive @ Fine Tune Cb Shop. If not him, then there are only about 6 others I would recommend as second choices nationwide.

Out of the 160 technicians I have tried, the first one I would recommend would be Harddrive @ Fine Tune Cb Shop. If not him, then there are only about 6 others I would recommend as second choices nationwide.

Come on dude.....you dug up a 4 year old thread to say what???? Jeeeez. Fine tune, never heard of them. Like that guy is still waiting to have his radio tuned..............lol, wow.

Reactions: DainBramage

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.