• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Super rare RCI 2900

Actually It was know as the Galaxy Uranus back in the early days, and also sold as the Sommerkamp TS 789. And like the 2900 many did suffer from early problems. The 2950/DX2000 radios replaced them.
It is a rare radio here in the US.
WAS a factory dealer for these back in the 80s,we were told to return EVERY radio back to them,but a few slipped out,I remember the Am mode was great,but SSB was all screwed up right out of the box,the fixes were numerous for SSB,glad a few survived,it was not long after the first generation of 2950 came out...GALAXY67

I am very interested in your rci 2900 if it is still available. please contact me. I have sent you a pm message as well. Hope to hear from you soon

Hello folks, back again with a super rare, great working and excellent talking RCI 2900. Radio is in excellent shape, works perfect and super loud audio. These are really rare and don't come up often as they did have problems right from the factory. This has zero issues and includes the original stock microphone. Before it goes up on ebay I figured I'd offer it up here. $200 shipped, lower 48. Paypal only
I would like this if still available. tsems3671@gmail.com contact me immediately and we will get the deal done.

That model is rare because it sucked, and folks found out. The 2950 model is (they say) the revised 2900 after they took the advice of Bill Good about the 2900 model's shortcomings. Just how much Bill's contribution helped make the 2950 a multi-decade success for RCI is hard to tell.

Probably worth more for its "rare" factor than it is as a radio.

The Galaxy Uranus was the butt of a lot of jokes.

The 2900 really were plagued with problems , a few of the early ones got repaired then the plug got pulled and RCI wanted them back.
I wondered what the whole deal was because just as these went away the Sommerkamp DX 2000, and the RCI 2950 came to be.
I think that was the about the end of the line for the two guys that imported the galaxy planet line and Ranger took off with there own endeavors.

@nomadradio

I remember when RCI went to see Bill Good.
There were pictures of Jim Peng and Bill Good with them on the old forum many years ago.
I think they did use some of his ideas on the dx models.

Jeff

Galaxy Uranus.jpg

Think what you want, it’s a super rare RCI radio. In today’s crazy E-bay world that is a 500-600 dollar radio. Is it worth that, no. Will someone pay that, yup.

Reactions: w9cll

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.