• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Superstar 360fm no volume

dozerman

hello, its me again
Dec 16, 2013
milan tennessee
just bought a superstar 360 at a flea mkt. had noise toys and talk back module and a bent swr knob, but no volume on rx. Meaning no sound comes out of the speaker. I assume it's receiving, the needle moves with on air traffic. No sound with internal speaker or extension spk. Any ideas would be helpful, otherwise it's getting struck up as a loss. Thanks

If this radio has the widely-used TA7222P audio-power chip, clip the negative lead of your voltmeter to the negative pin on the inside of the power socket. Touch the top of the red probe the next-to-rearmost pin of the audio chip to read the DC voltage there. This will be pin 9 for those playing along at home. Be careful not to bridge adjacent pins with the tip of the probe. The foil pad that leads away from this pin is larger, and easier to probe than the pin itself, and will get you the same reading as touching the pin directly. Definitely safer.

The reading should be very nearly one-half of your power-supply voltage. If it delivers 13.5 Volts DC to the radio, the reading should be close to 6.5 Volts DC.

The other quick test for this chip is to moisten one fingertip and lay it along all ten pins of this chip. This should create a feedback circuit, and get you a loud screech from the speaker. If the radio will do this, your audio problem is upstream from this chip, and replacing it probably won't fix the problem.

If this radio has the widely-used TA7222P audio-power chip, clip the negative lead of your voltmeter to the negative pin on the inside of the power socket. Touch the top of the red probe the next-to-rearmost pin of the audio chip to read the DC voltage there. This will be pin 9 for those playing along at home. Be careful not to bridge adjacent pins with the tip of the probe. The foil pad that leads away from this pin is larger, and easier to probe than the pin itself, and will get you the same reading as touching the pin directly. Definitely safer.

The reading should be very nearly one-half of your power-supply voltage. If it delivers 13.5 Volts DC to the radio, the reading should be close to 6.5 Volts DC.

The other quick test for this chip is to moisten one fingertip and lay it along all ten pins of this chip. This should create a feedback circuit, and get you a loud screech from the speaker. If the radio will do this, your audio problem is upstream from this chip, and replacing it probably won't fix the problem.

The audio chip was my first place to look. My 4300 connex acted the same way but in e I replaced it, the noise came back. No such luck here. Replaced the on off switch thinking it may be bad too. Been messing with it on and off for a few days.

The audio chip was my first place to look. My 4300 connex acted the same way but in e I replaced it, the noise came back. No such luck here. Replaced the on off switch thinking it may be bad too. Been messing with it on and off for a few days.
Have you checked for any bad solder joints?

the SS 360 is, was one of my least favorite chassis. I suppose it may have been the lightening struck one, or the reverse polarity one, or the vibration victim, or the micro fractures everywhere one, or the beer soaked one ...

...and not the radio itself but I couldn't help but crack wise as the 360 has hated me always. The feeling is mutual.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
the SS 360 is, was one of my least favorite chassis. I suppose it may have been the lightening struck one, or the reverse polarity one, or the vibration victim, or the micro fractures everywhere one, or the beer soaked one ...

...and not the radio itself but I couldn't help but crack wise as the 360 has hated me always. The feeling is mutual.

Yeah It's quickly becoming my least favorite. But at the same time, I've gotta know what's causing this before the persuader comes out aka the ball peen hammer

gold-sledge-hammer-500x500.jpg

The fixes ANYTHING tool

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.