• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Superstar 360fm no volume

Trace The AF section working from the speaker back. Maybee a bad cap?

I've replaced all the caps and transistors from the speaker leads back to the mic op amp. Now I've got the faintest noise from the roger beep coming thru the speaker. Like hold the ext speaker to your ear to hear it kinda faint but it's progress. But I'm still drawing blanks

gold-sledge-hammer-500x500.jpg

The fixes ANYTHING tool

I've got something similar right beside the bench here. Kinda blunt on one end and real sharp on the other. Splits wood real nice

I've replaced all the caps and transistors from the speaker leads back to the mic op amp. Now I've got the faintest noise from the roger beep coming thru the speaker. Like hold the ext speaker to your ear to hear it kinda faint but it's progress. But I'm still drawing blanks
Maybe needs an alignment?

Ok, let's try a little component level troubleshooting. I don't know what you have in the way of test equipment but let's just say all you have is an ext speaker that you can use as a tester. If the TA7222P is producing audio you should see or hear that audio at the coupling capacitor C118 it's a 470 with the positive pin connected to pin 9 of TA7222P. At this junction, you should have audio. So if you touch a lead of the speaker at the negative terminal of C118 with the volume up you should have noise of some kind and it should be pretty loud unsquelched. Just be careful use probes from a DVM and attach them to the extension speaker plug you could isolate the speaker with a small .01 cap while grounding the speaker wire. I only went through all this because I don't know if you have an audio signal tracer or a scope or even an auto-ranging ac meter. The point is you have poked and hoped by replacing parts maybe this is a better approach. This will at least determine if there is audio being produced by the TA7222P. with an amplified audio source such as an audio signal tracer or scope, you could also check to see if there is audio being delivered to the TA7222P at pin 4 I believe if memory serves me I have worked on literally thousands of these and other radios over the years and sometimes get them mixed together. I included a simple audio amp that could be used as a tracer and guess what it's made with a TA7222P!...

Vintagetech52 alias Oldtech03

Attachments

• smallaudioamp.JPG
    smallaudioamp.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Guy's just to make you all aware you have just got another good tech here that joined today. he is Going by Oldtech03. slowley some of the best tech's are joining here. we already have had a bunch of techs here but now 1 more addition to the forum. I have known him on another forum that went down in March for a long time.
just a heads up to all here so you know you did not just get another that wants help.
so welcome Oldtech03 to the forum.

Maybe needs an alignment?

I've not found an alignment procedure for this radio. I'm sure I'm not looking in the right places though. But if it was out of alignment, would I be receiving anything?? My tx is good according to the meter and it's obviously receiving something looking at the radio meter.

Ok, let's try a little component level troubleshooting. I don't know what you have in the way of test equipment but let's just say all you have is an ext speaker that you can use as a tester. If the TA7222P is producing audio you should see or hear that audio at the coupling capacitor C118 it's a 470 with the positive pin connected to pin 9 of TA7222P. At this junction, you should have audio. So if you touch a lead of the speaker at the negative terminal of C118 with the volume up you should have noise of some kind and it should be pretty loud unsquelched. Just be careful use probes from a DVM and attach them to the extension speaker plug you could isolate the speaker with a small .01 cap while grounding the speaker wire. I only went through all this because I don't know if you have an audio signal tracer or a scope or even an auto-ranging ac meter. The point is you have poked and hoped by replacing parts maybe this is a better approach. This will at least determine if there is audio being produced by the TA7222P. with an amplified audio source such as an audio signal tracer or scope, you could also check to see if there is audio being delivered to the TA7222P at pin 4 I believe if memory serves me I have worked on literally thousands of these and other radios over the years and sometimes get them mixed together. I included a simple audio amp that could be used as a tracer and guess what it's made with a TA7222P!...

Vintagetech52 alias Oldtech03

C118 is up by L-23. I'm assuming you mean the 4.7uf at c174? It's been replaced and there was very little movement on the scope at pin 9/c174.

Guy's just to make you all aware you have just got another good tech here that joined today. he is Going by Oldtech03. slowley some of the best tech's are joining here. we already have had a bunch of techs here but now 1 more addition to the forum. I have known him on another forum that went down in March for a long time.
just a heads up to all here so you know you did not just get another that wants help.
so welcome Oldtech03 to the forum.

Welcome @OldTech03. I am in cb as a hobby. I am not a tech and don't play one on tv either. I enjoy trying to make things work again, if I can't, I ask for help. So thanks in advance for any of your help.

Welcome @OldTech03. I am in cb as a hobby. I am not a tech and don't play one on tv either. I enjoy trying to make things work again, if I can't, I ask for help. So thanks in advance for any of your help.
Sounds like you willing to fix it take your time on this radio, dont rush on it i my self fixed 5 radios by taking my time also i do it as a hobby

Sounds like you willing to fix it take your time on this radio, dont rush on it i my self fixed 5 radios by taking my time also i do it as a hobby

Yeah, I enjoy it. Not having all the test equipment and knowledge a tech would have makes it time consuming and difficult. Trial and error don't always work but it helps me in the future. Thank you for any ideas you share.

I had also bought a non-working 360 FM from a forum member a few years back and then fixed it. It had a few issues: no AM receive, a blown driver, and one faulty diode - which accounted for the receive issue. I also replaced ALL of the electrolytic caps. Good thing too; since many of them were dried out. Replace ALL caps that are rated @ 10v; they seem to be most found in a state of decay - for starters - JMHO.

There are some solid techs on this forum with great insight and experience. However, you will need some gear to do the job, along with a large portion of patience to see it thru. A scope, DVM, and a freq counter is required.

Your radio has the Motorola mc145106p PLL chip in it. It is the same as the 'late' version of the Cobra 148GTL-DX that I listed on post #23. Lotsa info:

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/148gtl_dx/graphics/cobra_148_gtl_dx_sm_pg32_63.pdf

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/148gtl_dx/graphics/cobra_148_gtl_dx_sm_pg33_34_sch.pdf

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/148gtl_dx/graphics/cobra_148_gtl_dx_sm_pg44_45.pdf

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/148gtl_dx/graphics/cobra_148_gtl_dx_sm_pg42_43.pdf

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/148gtl_dx/graphics/cobra_148_gtl_dx_sm_pg35_36.pdf

Last edited:
I had also bought a non-working 360 FM from a forum member a few years back and then fixed it. It had a few issues: no AM receive, a blown driver, and one faulty diode - which accounted for the receive issue. I also replaced ALL of the electrolytic caps. Good thing too; since many of them were dried out. Replace ALL caps that are rated @ 10v; they seem to be most found in a state of decay - for starters - JMHO.

There are some solid techs on this forum with great insight and experience. However, you will need some gear to do the job, along with a large portion of patience to see it thru. A scope, DVM, and a freq counter is required.

Your radio has the Motorola mc145106p PLL chip in it. It is the same as the 'late' version of the Cobra 148GTL-DX that I listed on post #23. Lotsa info:

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/148gtl_dx/graphics/cobra_148_gtl_dx_sm_pg32_63.pdf

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/148gtl_dx/graphics/cobra_148_gtl_dx_sm_pg33_34_sch.pdf

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/148gtl_dx/graphics/cobra_148_gtl_dx_sm_pg44_45.pdf

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/148gtl_dx/graphics/cobra_148_gtl_dx_sm_pg42_43.pdf

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/148gtl_dx/graphics/cobra_148_gtl_dx_sm_pg35_36.pdf

Oh yeah there are a bunch of good techs on this forum. I hated to jump over here from the one that crashed, and start asking questions. There were a bunch there that were "teaching" me things in pm, as to not look so needy lol. I got burnt out on it and left the hobby for a few years. Amazing how much you forget when you don't see it everyday. I've got all my old test equipment. Dvm, freq counter, scope and rf signal generator, albeit an old one that is a tube type. My scope has a generator as well. I will look thru those files and continue the process of elimination. Thanks for posting those. Maybe someone else can use this post in the future and not need to ask so many questions lol

Ok, I goooofffed sorry about that it appears I can no longer rely on my memory as it seems I used a part number from a radio with similar chassis. Anyway, I searched through my stuff and found a schematic for the original 360FM and have included a schematic of the Audio section this should have part numbers that make sense to you. I highlighted the audio path from the TA7222AP to the speaker. But if what you said is true and there is little or no audio at pin 9 with volume wide open and signal being fed to the radio then check pin 4 back to the volume control to make sure a signal is being delivered to the TA7222.

It might be a good experience to start with the volume control wiper and follow the schematics through to the input of the TA7222? If you use the scope be ever aware of a baseline reading that you know represents a the level you should see coming from the audio detector stage or TR16 through R69.

360FM SCHEMS.JPG

360FM volume control_1.JPG

VT52

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.