• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR Issues....

The SWR is fine with the amp inline and off with either the meter before or after it. I only have the issue with the amp on. The meter I am using seems to be acting weird it reads a little higher than my other two and it never reads flat on any frequency like the other two but has a higher wattage rating either with or without the amp inline or on or off.

T23

Ok. Now find 200W dummy load and do the same test. No dummy load, then here's what I'd do. Not necessarily in this order.

-replace the feedline with RG-8X.
-rework all the PL-259's in the system.
-Make sure you have a good connection at the antenna.
-If the antenna wire is bare copper it it touching anything or very close to any object?

Ok I built a dummy load and both the amp and the radio get a flat SWR.

By the way its a salt water dunny load.

T23

Ok I built a dummy load and both the amp and the radio get a flat SWR.

By the way its a salt water dunny load.

T23

Way go on the saltwater dload McGruber! Now you know it's most likely a problem with your antenna system. See my last email.

Report back after you troubleshoot and fix the antenna system.

My vee dipole is laying flat on the roof. Would an antenna tuner fix this issue?

T23

My vee dipole is laying flat on the roof. Would an antenna tuner fix this issue?

T23

Oh Noooooo..Can't run power into it this way and I'm surprised it's showing low swr on low power. You'll need to get that puppy in the air away from the structure to be able to use the amp. You can use a tuner but all your power is going to dissapate as heat in the tuner. Worst case is you fry the amp.

Can you put the wire up as a flat top between two trees or as a Vee?

I thought it would be fine on the roof? I am always hearing about attic dipoles...

T23

An "attic dipole" is IN the attic, suspended at each end, and is not touching the roof outside (which might be dry, wet, covered with snow, etc). Get it up and completely free except at the ends. Use insulators there.

Now, since you have a problem with the meter in between the radio and the amplifier when the amplifier is ON, that tells us that there's a problem with the input circuitry for the amplifier. You should probably attack that first. Then get the antenna up in the air where it belongs.

An "attic dipole" is IN the attic, suspended at each end, and is not touching the roof outside (which might be dry, wet, covered with snow, etc). Get it up and completely free except at the ends. Use insulators there.

Now, since you have a problem with the meter in between the radio and the amplifier when the amplifier is ON, that tells us that there's a problem with the input circuitry for the amplifier. You should probably attack that first. Then get the antenna up in the air where it belongs.

Beetle..you missed a few posts. Everything is fine until he hits the power on switch on the amp when the roof flopper vee is attached. Once he gets the antenna installed properly( and yes it will work laying on the roof with low power) he'll be ok.

Well I know there's no way to get that dipole in a tree here. I built a 5/8 Wave loaded vertical with a tapped coil/var. cap. tuner, my tests are going well,SWR is flat on 7 Watts and 1.3 on 25 watts haven't tested the amp yet...

T23

Ok now I hove done more testing with the new loaded vertical, I get a flat 1:1 with amp on.

T23

Now... To rebuild one that don't look like it lost a fight with a moose....:laugh:

T23

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.