• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Talked to WalMart Today on a HT?

hr73.jpg

KEEKLES!

Shouting "stand back I'm a ham" is probably not necessary though.

That might get you arrested by the men in white coats if you do it in the deli section.:blink:

ALWAYS, ALWAYS no the regs. for the Freq. you are transmitting on.

Unless you want to cause trouble, there is no reason to go back and talk to Walmart. They will not understand and they will probably ban you from the store for pointing out that they are stupid.

anyway, i have all 5 MURS channels programmed into my HT and every now and then i give a shout on those channels. i've never heard anyone on these channels so i always hope maybe someone bought some MURS radios or gets a HAM rig modified for the freqs as i did. well today while in the truck i give a shout on channel 1, then 2, then 3 and 4 and, as always there's no response.

Not that I am picky or a ham cop or anything. But the above is the only "catch 22" that you may have been proven doing wrong. Using non certified equipment.

Other than that I would had to meet the so called cop and told him a few words.

Not that I am picky or a ham cop or anything. But the above is the only "catch 22" that you may have been proven doing wrong. Using non certified equipment.

Other than that I would had to meet the so called cop and told him a few words.

Chop,

UNCERTIFIED EQUIPMENT. That is the thing that could've backfired on you. As a licensed ham, YOU are responsible to KNOW the rules of the service and Part 97. You may NOT use your amateur radio on ANY other service. PERIOD. That includes MURS, FRS, Police, Fire, Business Band, Rescue. NONE! Your amateur HT is for ONE thing only; amateur radio. Could get your license pulled and a fine.

Now, by the same token, IF you had been on a genuine MURS radio and encountered the rent-a-cop and he................................say, um, "confiscated" your radio (had you let him know your location), you MIGHT've had a spot of fun with a little ole lawsuit, dragged FCC in on it, and caused some RED faces at Walmart! :oops:THAT would've been FUNNY!!!!! You might've gotten a big screen TV out of it. LMAO!!!!
Well, it's funny to think about it anyway! :LOL:

He didn't say he was using an Amateur HT. He said he has "all 5 MURS channels programmed in my HT." If it was a 2 watt, programmable business band radio of the type that is grandfathered into the MURS allocation, it was legal.

i have all 5 MURS channels programmed into my HT and every now and then i give a shout on those channels.?

He didn't say he was using an Amateur HT. He said he has "all 5 MURS channels programmed in my HT." If it was a 2 watt, programmable business band radio of the type that is grandfathered into the MURS allocation, it was legal.

That may have been my bad right there. He did not say what type of HT. I assumed so I stand corrected for my above quote.

That might get you arrested by the men in white coats if you do it in the deli section.:blink:

ALWAYS, ALWAYS no the regs. for the Freq. you are transmitting on.

Unless you want to cause trouble, there is no reason to go back and talk to Walmart. They will not understand and they will probably ban you from the store for pointing out that they are stupid.
It's not a case of them being stupid, that's a given, it's a case of the level of stupidity involved.

C.W.Morse was the only one who caught it..

Saying you were a ham indeed could have back fired..
Regardless of not exceeding the 2 watt limit..

You were Not using a MURS specific radio
( likely would also be Ok if it was a VHF business radio that was 2 watts or less)..

Using a "Modified" ham radio would of ( or could have) been the one issue that they could have used against you..

Not that the cops would have any clue as to what MURS frequencies are to be used for...and surely would Not have a clue as to the legalities of using a ham radio on MURS frequencies..

N E X T time..

Go down there with a HT if you want to talk on channel 5..
make NO Mention of being a ham radio operator..
But have a copy from FCC on MURS uses..

Chop and I exchanged a couple of private messages about it! What would be funny is to go to Walmart and buy a couple of legal radios. I'm not all that familiar with MURS and FRS except for the frequency allocations (vaguely). But I would, if it were possible, get MURS radios from the SAME Walmart and get my wife to start talking to me on the MURS radio IN the store. When the rent-a-cop came I would tell them where I was, playing supremely "dumb", we'd have a small argument. That is, just enough to get the bubba rent-a-cop to, maybe, seize the radio(s):D Then I'd haul their A$$ into court with a civil suit citing whatever "regulations" they broke including improper seizure of personal property, false arrest (if it went that far), undue emotional distress (boo hoo hoo). Just IMAGINE their shock when I produced a SALES RECEIPT before the judge FROM THE SAME STORE! :LOL::LOL: Wouldn't that be fun? Might even get a big screen TV out of it! LOL!(y):D

Well, it's fun to think about anyway! LOL!

CWM

Chop and I exchanged a couple of private messages about it! What would be funny is to go to Walmart and buy a couple of legal radios. I'm not all that familiar with MURS and FRS except for the frequency allocations (vaguely). But I would, if it were possible, get MURS radios from the SAME Walmart and get my wife to start talking to me on the MURS radio IN the store. When the rent-a-cop came I would tell them where I was, playing supremely "dumb", we'd have a small argument. That is, just enough to get the bubba rent-a-cop to, maybe, seize the radio(s):D Then I'd haul their A$$ into court with a civil suit citing whatever "regulations" they broke including improper seizure of personal property, false arrest (if it went that far), undue emotional distress (boo hoo hoo). Just IMAGINE their shock when I produced a SALES RECEIPT before the judge FROM THE SAME STORE! :LOL::LOL: Wouldn't that be fun? Might even get a big screen TV out of it! LOL!(y):D

Well, it's fun to think about anyway! LOL!

CWM

I like that approach!
That would show them.

i like that idea! however, it's not a rent-a-cop stationed at the walmart...... it's a deridder town officer, stays on premises at all times. i still think the plan would work, though. i will look to see if there any MURS type accepted radios at that branch. even if i could get them off walmart.com and had them sent to site to store. that would be great. (y)

i like that idea! however, it's not a rent-a-cop stationed at the walmart...... it's a deridder town officer, stays on premises at all times. i still think the plan would work, though. i will look to see if there any MURS type accepted radios at that branch. even if i could get them off walmart.com and had them sent to site to store. that would be great. (y)

When I typed that post about "trapping" Walmart and the cop, I was laughing my a--off. It WOULD be fun and I believe it would work! Can you just IMAGINE the shock and horror of Walmart and the officer when you produced a sales receipt for LEGAL radios that THEY improperly seized? What kind of big screen TV do you like? :LOL: LCD or Plasma? LMAO!!!!

CWM

(Hmmmm... I just thought of something! If this is a CITY cop, you MIGHT (?) be able to drag THEM into it, too. Two TV's are better than one!!;) )

Youd need the tv, because youd never be able to show your face around town again without being hassled by the cops. And forget about ever going into wally world again.LOL

PR

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.