• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

texas star 500

I wouldn't myself but that would essentially be a 667v. If you decide to run a one pill make sure to keep it low drive from the radio (10 watts max ssb and a low dead key 1.5 to 2 watts) Many bypass the driver stage on the 667 to just run the straight 4 pill. I wouldn't bother chasing after every watt you can get. Drive it with your radio and enjoy it for years.

Yes, I consider the 1-transistor driver to be a bit too big.

I explain to a customer he can choose who he wants to talk to. If you want loud audio, skip the driver. The wattmeter reading will be lower, but not enough to make the S-meter at the other end show any real difference.

If you want to talk to the wattmeter, go for it. Pushing an amplifier tends to reduce the audio level they will hear at the other end.

The size of your radio is a big part of this calculation. The bigger it is, the smarter it will be to skip the driver amplifier.

Yes, I consider the 1-transistor driver to be a bit too big.

I explain to a customer he can choose who he wants to talk to. If you want loud audio, skip the driver. The wattmeter reading will be lower, but not enough to make the S-meter at the other end show any real difference.

If you want to talk to the wattmeter, go for it. Pushing an amplifier tends to reduce the audio level they will hear at the other end.

The size of your radio is a big part of this calculation. The bigger it is, the smarter it will be to skip the driver amplifier.

thanks for the replies everyone...think I'll stick with just my galaxy 2517 running 2watt dead key swinging 30...just sent if off for a power upgrade and eliminate the fuse holders in the rear and having fan installed over eat sink. Very happy with my Texas Star 500. Already installed new lens covers and LED bulbs with new faceplate. 552 Here in Florida

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
thanks for the replies everyone...think I'll stick with just my galaxy 2517 running 2watt dead key swinging 30...just sent if off for a power upgrade and eliminate the fuse holders in the rear and having fan installed over eat sink. Very happy with my Texas Star 500. Already installed new lens covers and LED bulbs with new faceplate. 552 Here in Florida

Just wondering who you sent it to for power wire upgrade and fan install........
Thanks.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.